Giving away 2 cats - the best way to do it?

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where to put this post, please move it if this isn't the apropiate forum.

My family has decided to move to an apartment once they sell our house. They told me I should find a home for at least 2 of my kitties.
I am heart broken, its incredibly difficult to choose between all my cats... I feel so guilty having to chose which one stays and which one leaves.

I'm still not sure, but I finally decided I'm going to give away "mafy" she is the less attached one to our family.. not that she isn't
but she is the one that is less.

Then I decided on giving away "sophie", she's extremely beautiful, its going to be easier for someone to want to take her because of her beauty and because she's so affectionate. She's also a nervous cat, if I can find a home where she's by herself maybe it'll be better for her. I'm still unsure about that..

The ones that are staying are because:
Tom and kata are unseparable.
Tom is also old and he has diabetes
max is a bit aggresive when he plays , he likes to bite.. so I don't think other people will like that, my family doesn't even like it but I'm fine with it he doesn't really hurt me.

there's a lady where my dad works, that has 7 cats and said she'ld accept one of ours. Will "mafy" adapt to 7 new cats? Thats my main concern.
Is it best to give both of my cats together? maybe ask this lady if I can give her both of my cats? My dad is a friend of hers so I could probably keep in contact with my cats this way ...

How can I give away my cats? where should I put an announcement? how do I know they are going to be good owners? I want my cats to have a good life.
So far none of my friends want any cats.

should I start giving them away straight away or should I wait until the house is sold?

I'm so sad about this.
If anyone has any ideas or answers to any of my questions I'ld really appreciate it. I'm "blocked" right now, I don't know what to do about this..

cornetml

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you live, "Craigslist.org" is a good place to look for pets. If you absolutely must give them up you can always arrange a meeting with the prospective new owners. The lady at the shelter where I adopted my cat wanted to see where I lived before agreeing to let me adopt. She just agreed to bring the cat over to my house after I completed the adoption application. It may seem like a big requirement, but if someone is not willing to have you come over, it may not be the best place for your kitty.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Contact your vet's office or another vet's office near you and ask them if they know of anyone looking for a cat. They may let you make up a poster with their picture to hang in the office. Vet's offices often know of good cat mamas who are looking to add to their family. Good luck. I can't imagine how hard that would be.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also you might contact any pet sitters in your area. They will know animal lovers who might be looking for cats.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it would be a good idea to try to keep them together, they will probably adapt better when they have someone they already know to lean on.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kateyes

I have no idea where to put this post, please move it if this isn't the apropiate forum.

My family has decided to move to an apartment once they sell our house. They told me I should find a home for at least 2 of my kitties.
I am heart broken, its incredibly difficult to choose between all my cats... I feel so guilty having to chose which one stays and which one leaves.

I'm still not sure, but I finally decided I'm going to give away "mafy" she is the less attached one to our family.. not that she isn't
but she is the one that is less.

Then I decided on giving away "sophie", she's extremely beautiful, its going to be easier for someone to want to take her because of her beauty and because she's so affectionate. She's also a nervous cat, if I can find a home where she's by herself maybe it'll be better for her. I'm still unsure about that..

The ones that are staying are because:
Tom and kata are unseparable.
Tom is also old and he has diabetes
max is a bit aggresive when he plays , he likes to bite.. so I don't think other people will like that, my family doesn't even like it but I'm fine with it he doesn't really hurt me.

there's a lady where my dad works, that has 7 cats and said she'ld accept one of ours. Will "mafy" adapt to 7 new cats? Thats my main concern.
Is it best to give both of my cats together? maybe ask this lady if I can give her both of my cats? My dad is a friend of hers so I could probably keep in contact with my cats this way ...

How can I give away my cats? where should I put an announcement? how do I know they are going to be good owners? I want my cats to have a good life.
So far none of my friends want any cats.

should I start giving them away straight away or should I wait until the house is sold?

I'm so sad about this.
If anyone has any ideas or answers to any of my questions I'ld really appreciate it. I'm "blocked" right now, I don't know what to do about this..
I don't recommend "giving" pets away. Think about it...if you got something for 'free'...would you treat it better than something that you paid for?? Charging a small adoption fee helps to ensure that you are dealing with someone who can financially handle the costs of cat ownership and keep away those individuals looking to possibly harm your cats. You can refer to my website for links as to why you should not offer your cats for free as well as a PDF called "how to find homes for homeless pets" that gives advice on how to rehome pets.

Katie

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't "give them" away. It sounds as though you are getting rid of excess clothing you don't need. And any item - living r not - that is adevrtised for free sounds as tho there is no value attached. And of course, there are some ppl who will scoop up cats to use them in ways you do not want to know about - bouchers who resell them to labs, even worse fates, and people who will simply not care for them. Ask for a fee of some kind!!

Draw up an adoption contract and ensure you will take back the kitties if the family who adopts them cannot keep them for any reason. There are sample contracts available. Do a home visit and make sure the family actually CAN care for your kitties, You owe it to them to find a good home.

I do think it would less stressful of the cats were to go together. Cats stress easily and a new home is one of the most stressful. You assume the one kitty is not "attached" to your family but it is still her home and taking everything that is familar away will be very hard on her. And if these ppl you mentioned do not take them, advertise with a photo. People respond better that way.

Good luck rehoming them.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Katie in that I would strongly recommend you charging a fee for your kittens. You can be more sure of finding a worthy home for these little ones by requiring a fee as opposed to just giving them away.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the ones who advised not to give your cats away. There is an advertising magazine in our area who posted a notice they are not accepting free ads for certain kinds of animals now because the animals have been used wrongly. So especially don't advertise for free. The only way I would give my cats away is if I already knew the ones I was giving them to. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the advice.

I'm not sure about asking for a fee, I live in Chile and I have never heard of anyone asking for a fee for cats unless they are of a special breed. None of my cats are, so if I did charge I would have even less of a chance to find them a home. I'm not disregarding the idea because I don't think its a good one [it is, I wish it was more common in Chile], I'm just not going to do it because over here it doesn't work well. I will ask my vet about it just in case, but I'm pretty sure no one has ever asked for a fee for a regular cat

I'll update once I talk to my vet about it.

I will get an adoption contract and I plan on interviewing people, I'll also tell the new owners that if my cat doesn't seem to adjust in a certain period of time [a reasonable time, since any kitty will need time to adjust] she can come back home and I can find her a new place. How long is a reasonable time? I'm incredibly attached to my cats and knowing myself I'ld be calling the very next day.. is a month ok?

I'm definately going to go by my instinct once I meet the people and check the place, if I think its not apropiate for my cat I'll tell them I have other people interested too and I'll give them a call. I think that would be better than telling them you aren't adequate for my cat!

I'll try to keep them together, as everyone has suggested so far. A familiar face and smell will be helpful for both of them.

I really hope I can find someone, even if its the "friend of a friend" that wants my cats because that way there's at least some sort of connection with them, but my cats are rather "old" - they are 5 years old, and most people aren't interested in getting a cat thats an adult.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With free to good home animals.
People will come to your door all smiles and even bring small children to impress you that they are indeed a good home for your cat. Take the cat home and use it as a training aid for their dog fights. You will never know.

Please dont take our words as critisim, but words of caution and sadly experience.

Even if you ask for a fee or other item in trade for the cats, you do not necessary have to take their money after they decide they want the cat.
If someone is willing to pay for an animal they are FAR more likely to care for the animal than someone who views it as having no value.
an option might be,
Cats to good home 7500$ CLP peso, someone comes takes a look, falls in love with your cat. You view them as a good person and someone who you would want your cat to belong to and then let them know you are willing to give the cat away and waive the monies.
This type of person is much more likely to care for the cat as they were willing to spend some hard earned money for the animal.
Just some thought of consideration for you.
Regardless, im sorry your in this position to decide who stays and goes. I will pray that someone willing to care for your cats as much as you do shows up at your door.
Good luck

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Middletown

Cats to good home 7500$ CLP peso, someone comes takes a look, falls in love with your cat. You view them as a good person and someone who you would want your cat to belong to and then let them know you are willing to give the cat away and waive the monies.
This type of person is much more likely to care for the cat as they were willing to spend some hard earned money for the animal
Thats a really good idea

Thanks for those articles, katie.

"I hereby understand and agree that the current owner makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, about the above mentioned animal's temperament and is hereby absolved from any liability for future damages or injuries caused by said animal. I also understand and agree that the current owner further gives no guarantees, expressed or implied, of the suitability of the animal to the adopter and/or his family"

is this part of the adoption contract because my cat might change personality?

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kateyes

Thats a really good idea

Thanks for those articles, katie.

"I hereby understand and agree that the current owner makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, about the above mentioned animal's temperament and is hereby absolved from any liability for future damages or injuries caused by said animal. I also understand and agree that the current owner further gives no guarantees, expressed or implied, of the suitability of the animal to the adopter and/or his family"

is this part of the adoption contract because my cat might change personality?
This is what lawyers call your general disclaimer to release you from any liability to the cat. Basically protects you from the cats new owner should anything happen to the new owners property from the cat.
Say the new owner has nice leather furnature. You didnt. the cat not knowing anybetter claws the furnature. this kind of statement would release you from any responcibility for having to replace the furnature.

Being that you live in Chilie, i would imagine that this type of legal language is not as common as it is here in the US where lawyers run rampid sueing on behalf of anyone for any reason. There is little or no personal accountability or personal responcibility left in the US anymore.

BTW how is the Cat any updates for us?

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid £100 for Rocket and he is a cross-breed (and an Arab who tend to be stereotyped as animal hating) and I was glad that she was charging this much. It showed she cared about him and his welfare. Some one WILL pay, you will be suprised. My parents pretend that they don't like animals but I have caught them on numerous occaisions petting Rocket (they have not met Mica yet) and telling him he is a sweetheart!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with those contracts and even if your kitty is a moggie, advertise him or her as a Domestic short hair - or long hair - and set an asking price. I think anyone willing to pay for a cat will be more caring and that helps to weed out those who want a cat for snake food, fighting bait or to sell to research labs. Even in Chile, they use cats in research labs s(I asked one of the nurses at our hospital who is from Chile and she worked in a hospital in Santiago that had a lab that used cats (kittens even - I'll spare you the details, I was shocked and I am not easily shocked any more). And the lab workers like pet cats because these kitties are friendly, used to humans and not likely to bite or hiss, etc. (I rhink they should bite and scratch every lab worker, no matter how valuable the reseatch. There are many other ways to obtain the same results!!!)

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Middletown: thanks for the explanation. No, in Chile it isn't very common at all to have people sue you over anything.

Sims2fan: lol! my dad says he doesn't like one of our cats because she follows him around, but whenever she doesn't follow him he always asks where she is.

Cyberkitten: thats awful.. thanks for not sharing the details because just knowing that they do lab experiments over here is more than enough.

To give everyone an update, I still haven't started "advertising" them. Tom [my diabetic cat] hasn't been doing well so I've spent quite a bit of money at the vet these past 2 weeks.
I want to take my cats to get a general check up next month. Once I know they are in perfect health [which I already know but I want to make sure] I'm going to start advertising them.
So.. next month I'll begin giving them away. I've been using this month to inform myself on the best way to do it.