Girls vs Boys

Ronman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently live with three male cats (16 yrs, 1.5yrs and 1yr) We had concerns when we brought the two younger cats in (one at a time), but Skippy, the 16 year old hardly batted an eye and surprisingly took to them. I wouldn't say any of them are real close, but they all get along and the two younger cats in particular, love our Pug.
Recently a very decrepit young cat started showing up on our deck. The poor thing looked so dehydrated and hungry, we started to put dry food and water out for it. Of course, that just encouraged it to return. We could tell it had an injured leg. so we decided to try and capture it and have it looked at. We took her to our vet and it turns out she had already been spayed. The vet told us that her ear was notched and she had an X on her stomach which indicated that some program had captured her previously, spayed her, marked her and cut her loose. I don't quite understand the thoughts behind that process, but that's another subject.
Bottom line, we have decided that after her stay at the vet, and when she is ready, we are going to try and integrate her into our family. My only real concern is the fact she is a female and will be living with all boys. The last female cat we had hated all the males. Is this typical? Does anyone think that bringing a female cat among three males is going to be a problem? All three of the males are pretty mellow cats. Any thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't quite understand the thoughts behind that process, but that's another subject
TNR (trap, neuter, release) is done to humanely control the population of feral cats and minimize the spread of disease (because they're also vaccinated). The only other option is killing them, which really is no option at all.

Anyway, it really depends on the individual personalities as to whether they'll get along. Females do tend to be more territorial than neutered males in general, but some females will gladly accept other cats and some won't, just like any individual. But I do think it's usually easier to bring a female home to established males than the other way around.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TNR (trap, neuter, release) is done to humanely control the population of feral cats and minimize the spread of disease (because they're also vaccinated). The only other option is killing them, which really is no option at all.

Anyway, it really depends on the individual personalities as to whether they'll get along. Females do tend to be more territorial than neutered males in general, but some females will gladly accept other cats and some won't, just like any individual. But I do think it's usually easier to bring a female home to established males than the other way around.
I agree 100%. You have a better chance bringing a female into a group of males than the other way around but it really depends on the cats. I think that if you take your time with the introductions, everything will work out. We have a really good article about that in case you need it. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Thank you so much for giving this little girl a home. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured as much. The vet tells us that the little girl is very affectionate, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I probably should have mentioned that all three of the males currently in the family were all strays. Skippy, the oldest chose us much in the way the little girl did only he wasn't fixed or marked in any way. The two younger males were dumped in the country and rescued by my sister-in-law who lives on a farm and because they already have multiple cats that live both indoors and out, we took them in. I think four, and the Pug, is our limit.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For decades I had a mixed group of males and females. It worked, though there were two males who couldn't stand each other at any price. One was sent to live with someone else. The rest worked things out.

From what you've said, it sounds like she belonged to someone and was dumped, possibly for going into heat. If so she probably had a litter and they are long gone. She didn't have the experience to survive on her on. TNR is to TN ferals and return them. Strays get collected and sometimes the little ones like the one you found, get sent back to again fail to fend for themselves.
Be patient, I'm certain you've saved her life by taking her in.