Girl Troubles

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to my gyno today guys. About a year ago, a had a pap come back abnormal. Hearing that from your doctor over the phone certaily makes your stomach fall to your feet. I went to a gyno that my doctor recommended, and he did a biopsy and said I had mild displasia, (sp?) caught way early. He did a colposcopy on me, which froze the cells. Then for the next 4-5 years, he has to check it like every 4 months to make sure it's not coming back. I"m happy to see he looked in there and he says everything looks great! And I gotta tell you guys, if any of you live near me and need a good, gentle, and I do mean gentle doctor, go see him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bleh. I just got this Dr. and he's a bit rough and tumble.. I'm pondering going to a different person to get the correct pap done, and sticking with that one if they're any more gentle. *sigh*I'm putting off getting the 2nd pap done because the first was just awful (I Will get it done shortly.. just.. not this week, lol.)

lenaorie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well im 19.. and a pro at gettin paps! 2 summer's ago, i had to get surgery bcuz i had cancer cells developing on my cervix.. and i've had 10 paps since then!!! its horrible, but my cancer cells are all gone.. but i have about a 50% chance of them coming back :S...

and i go on.. Monday for another pap.. what fun they are!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

The nurse had a job getting a sample from my last one 3 years ago that in the end she had to get something that i can only describe as looking like a mascara brush to scrape away the cells that way

Oh i hope it's not the same this time
OMG, they've been using the mascara brush thingie here for years, and every time I go! I almost laugh when she says "you'll feel a slight pressure..." Slight pressure?!?! That SOB hurts! LOL Well, at least I know that she knows what it actually does feel like. And I really like that she warms up the instruments with warm water, and makes it as quick and painless as humanly possible!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Ladies, do what you have to do. I had cervical cancer in 1972 and had to have paps done every 2 months for a year, then every 6 months for a couple of years and finally once per year. Better safe than sorry even if it is a yukky exam.
Here, Here! A standing ovation for your comment Yosemite! Guys we should be thrilled to pieces that there is a test available to detect cervical cancer early! Same goes for the mammogram, imagine if we had lived 100 years ago or less. a lot of us would not be here to complain about it.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Good girl!
I keep nagging a girl i work with who's never had one done but i can't get it through to her
Good for you Susan keep nagging. Tell her to rent the movie "Wit" It's an HBO film based on the Broadway play of the same name. It's about a woman with ovarian cancer, with the ultra-fabulous Brit, Emma Thompson. Though you can't detect cervical cancer with a pap, during the exam thd doc should still check you ovaries manually to detect any abnormalities. Wit is a wonderful film, great acting all around, directed by Mike Nichols. I show it regularly to my homeless clients at health education workshops. I have never seen a woman NOT blown away by this film.