Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Girl Or Boy?

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by montanavh, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Girl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Boy

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. montanavh

montanavh Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Dec 4, 2018
    [​IMG] Can anyone help on determining the sex of my new kitten? Was told it was a girl (& we named it) but now second guessing whether it’s a boy or girl! Will be going to the vet in a few days for shots & will find out![​IMG]

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Oh yeah, that's a boy! Definitely!

3. montanavh

montanavh Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Dec 4, 2018
    Oh no! Poor baby, we have been calling it Layla!

4. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    Oh yeah, boy. As an orange cat it was only about a 20% chance it was a girl to begin with.

No reason to change his name though if Layla works for him. My girl is named Rocket because we thought she was a he.

5. Brittani1157

Brittani1157 TCS Member Young Cat

Dec 3, 2018
    My little brother had an orange cat at his dad's house named Chloe for 10 years or more, only to find out he was a boy! At that point, though, he was Chloe lol

6. verna davies

verna davies TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 23, 2016
    Wales uk
    It's a lovely boy. Could change the name to Layland

7. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    You could always change the name to Derek or Domino or even Eric, since that's who sang Layla.

People keep saying that, but I've had 4 orange cats, three of which were female.

Kieka purraised this.

8. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    Could be more common in your area. Color in general is linked to the X chromosome so a female has to get the orange gene from both Mom and Dad to be solid orange; otherwise she ends up a tortie or calico. Also why boys are only one color because theytonly have one X. Since many cats found in shelters and rescuses are unwanted litters from strays, ferals or unspayed females allowed to waunder you often will see waves or groupings of specific colors. This is based on what the current population is and them intermixing. Unless you get fresh genetic material in the area natural selection and such will make it so the population sends up being pretty similar after a while.

My area went throigh a pointed phase where it seemed like every stray or feral was pointed for a few yeara. But the general color in my area is grey/blue with some white Your area could have a high number of orange which makes it more likely for two orange cats to mate and more orange females then the general population.

golondrina purraised this.