Gingivitis in young cat

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 15 month old male has a very fine darker pink line running along his gums adjacent to his teeth. The rest of the gums are perfectly pink. His teeth are all good and 80% of his food is moist with rest in kibble. I am starting to fear gingivitis although I have read this usually occurs in older cats. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

He also has no visible testicles so has not been neutered. But that is another story.

At the moment we have a lot of problems going on in the house (wife has terminal cancer) and am hoping this is not another worry.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear about your wife.  You're right - this really is not the time for your kitty to develop medical problems.  However if he is going to develop them, it will be easier and cheaper to deal with now than later.   The best thing you can do for everyone is take your kitty to the vet and have him checked out.  

Again, my sympathies about your wife.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have been watching the cat's gums and although they are no redder I decided to have a dental check up today. They agreed it is juvenile gingivitis and think they should do a complete cleaning (with anaesthetic), x-rays, urine test, extractions, blood work plus incidentals. They gave me a high and low estimate. High was $1200 and low was $700.

They said I could try a dental food which they swear works well. I took their word and bought some. I always consider that sort of food as basically "snake oil" marketing. Fortunately he loves it but will it work?A few days ago I bought some toothpaste and have been successful in brushing his teeth. The cat is healthy, eats well and is active although he is only 15 months old.

I have another rescue senior cat plus 4 rescued rabbits. Fortunately rabbits do not require vets unless its dire. As to cost I am willing to pay it but when I add that to my wife's $1100 monthly chemo bill it does add up.

I have always said you cannot make just one trip to a vet.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I know that brushing his teeth daily will do more for him than feeding the dental food alone. I find that genetics play more of a role in dental health than any particular diet.

Also, you mention that your boy has no visible testicles, so I assume he is cryptochid?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update on your cat.   If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the dental food your vet recommended?  My Chula started developing dental problems before she was two but I've not heard of a dental food that actually worked.  Like you, my take on them was that they were more advertising than fact. 

It's great you've been able to brush his teeth.  That will help a great deal.  Chula is not a fan of the procedure so I often fall down on the job. 

Just a comment about quotes for dental work:  I received a quote for Chula that was almost identical to yours.  It was more than I could afford at the time so I was saving towards it when someone from the clinic called and offered me 20% off.  I took them up on it.  Long story short:  the blood work, dental, medication, 2 extractions and getting a microchip came to $508.00.  Just something to bear in mind - that dental quote might be more fluid than you think.

You are so right about not being able to make just one trip to the vet!

Best wishes to your wife. 

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apparently he might be cryptochid. Nobody can say unless they do an ultrasound ($408), surgery from his groin to his neck to check visibly (price to be estimated but about $2500+) or a testosterone test ($205). I am not at all considering the surgery but may the testosterone test as long as it assures me one way or another. I know that  if the testicles are inside and never come out they could become tumorous.

This little gem of a guy is only about 15-16 months old.

Its all so discouraging as although I have 5 other animals I am counting on this guy to keep me going once my wife passes. BTW lung cancer is always terminal. And no she never smoked, drank, always exercised in a big way and never spent one night in a hospital. Sorry I know this is not he Forum to mention this.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
You have a tremendous amount on your plate right now.  I really hope the new little guy is basically healthy and you both have many years together.  What is his name, anyway?

The news about your wife is so tragic - my heart goes out to you.   

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring. It is very hard right now.

My little guy is named Rey which is Spanish for king. When he was in Cuba he was treated like a king. They all loved him and its not hard to see why. The lady who fostered him was very upset when he left. I send her photos now and then.

Rey is apparently very healthy except for his dental and neutering concerns. A previous poster asked the name of the cat food and it is Royal Canin. Being blind to him is nothing. He seldom walks into walls and occasionally chases flies and catches them. He is a true gem and anyone who thinks blind cats/dogs/rabbits are a problem, does not know Rey.

I would like to post a photo of him but don't know how. He is orange and white and yesterday I bought him a royal blue collar. Being blind he does not go out but on occasion I will put him in the bunny pen while the bunnies are still inside. Of course I watch him like a hawk.