Gingivitis in 2 years old cat - how to revert the gingivitis?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Ever since I adopted my cat from the street when she was just 6 months old, she have been dealing with gingivitis. She had her dental cleaning and extracted two teeth last year. The redness on the gumline goes away for about at week after the cleaning but return soon after. She just had her annual checkup done last month and the dentist checked on her teeth and mentioned that I can try to brush her teeth at home to see if it will helps. Water additive added to her water fountain but it doesn't help at all.

I just tried brushing her teeth earlier on with a soft tooth brush and CET toothpaste, but I'm really scared to brush the gumline as it'll bleed if I does so. Vet mentioned that as she just gotten her cleaning last year, it's still too early to undergo cleaning again as it's generally every 1.5 years before the next cycle of cleaning.

Can I check what else can I do to revert her gingivitis? I heard that it's quite uncommon for a young age cat to have such red gum aka gingivitis. We tested her twice for felv and fiv but it's all negative. Not sure what's causing her gingivitis 😭

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat developed gingivitis at 6 months, had the same tests as yours. Nothing I tried helped but like you I'm afraid brushing will hurt the gums, I use an enzymatic toothpaste for cats, place some on my finger and put it in her mouth, it's supposed to help even if there's no brushing. It hasnt reversed the gingivitis , not sure if anything could, but it helps keep the teeth clean.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She needs daily teeth brushing to keep the gingivitis at bay.
You can rub the gum line with a q-tip as well.

If she's a chewer, some Royal Canin or Hills Science Diet dental food as treats helps.

There's been some science to show that Omega oils help to prevent severity of gingivitis when used alongside daily brushings in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat developed gingivitis at 6 months, had the same tests as yours. Nothing I tried helped but like you I'm afraid brushing will hurt the gums, I use an enzymatic toothpaste for cats, place some on my finger and put it in her mouth, it's supposed to help even if there's no brushing. It hasnt reversed the gingivitis , not sure if anything could, but it helps keep the teeth clean.
I'm using an enzymatic toothpaste too. Really don't know what to do next to reversed the gingivitis 😞 hopefully I can find some answer and if I do, I'll share it with you! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She needs daily teeth brushing to keep the gingivitis at bay.
You can rub the gum line with a q-tip as well.

If she's a chewer, some Royal Canin or Hills Science Diet dental food as treats helps.

There's been some science to show that Omega oils help to prevent severity of gingivitis when used alongside daily brushings in cats.
Gonna start brushing her teeth daily from today onwards. But I'm really afraid to brush along her gumline as the gum will bleed due to inflammation. It bleed even if I brush it gently. She's a chewer! She lovessss kibbles compared to wet food. She's currently on Hill Sciene Diet 1-6 years old kibbles. Her vet mentioned about the dental kibbles from science diet too, perhaps I'll give it a try.

I'm giving her fish oil with pre-probiotics daily but it still doesn't helps :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gonna start brushing her teeth daily from today onwards. But I'm really afraid to brush along her gumline as the gum will bleed due to inflammation. It bleed even if I brush it gently. She's a chewer! She lovessss kibbles compared to wet food. She's currently on Hill Sciene Diet 1-6 years old kibbles. Her vet mentioned about the dental kibbles from science diet too, perhaps I'll give it a try.

I'm giving her fish oil with pre-probiotics daily but it still doesn't helps :(
Fish oil doesn't fix the problem, it helps fix the problem.

Use a q-tip to rub the gum line.

What brush are you using? A baby toothbrush is gentler than a pet one.

As you brush, her gums should get stronger. Don't press down hard. Be very gentle at first 😸

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try an interdental toothbrush, as they are much smaller there is less chance of catching the gums.