Gift suggestions, please

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We exchange something for Christmas with my sister and BIL. And I have no idea what to even think about this year. I like to get them something a little different. One year, I bought an Amish basket (from a local basket maker down the road) and filled it with goodies that were locally made. One year, I went with a gift-type company with snacks and such. A few years ago, I noticed she was running low on nice, matching glasses for family dinners and bought her a gorgeous set of glassware. Sometimes we get them a gift card to a favorite restaurant. We always give them a large wheel of baby Swiss from our cheesemaker with whatever else we give them. We spend in the area of around $50 - $75. She says I always come up with the most interesting ideas, but I'm running out of ideas.

She is a gardener. I thought about a gift card to a local nursery that I know she likes.
She doesn't cook. She thinks reading is a waste of time. No magazines or books.
They are big wine-drinkers and make their own wines, but that's more of my BIL's thing.
No knick-knacks or anything like that. Not with 7 cats in the house, although the kids are pretty well-behaved overall.

Any ideas?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A movie basket? A few comfy throws, cocoa, popcorn with some DVD's or a certificate to watch movies?
A comfort food basket? A frozen meat or chicken pie with some of the trimming or a frozen lasagna?
The 2020 basket - disinfectant, disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer, etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas! I like them all!
Mia6 Mia6 She'll get cookies anyway. Whenever I bake, I put some of whatever it is aside for them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she like garden decor? Etsy is my go-to place for unique things. A few years ago I got my Aunt a set of these metal birds for her garden: Metal Bird Statue Set of 3 fathers day gift garden decor | Etsy They were a hit and I still want some for mine. :lol: She has a wooden fence and deck and small yard but she's always out there planting and pruning or improving something.

I also got a custom sign for my Mom's kitchen that says "Chef Nonnie's" (with some other stuff below it). I've found unique folk-art prints. I got my Grandma a necklace made from a 1918 Mercury Dime on there. (For her 100th birthday. She thought that was something!) I've gotten custom bags, unique wine stoppers... I mean Etsy really has something for everyone. Plus you are supporting small businesses there. You just have to watch where the seller is located to be sure things will reach you in time. Once it said they were in LA; but the actual item was made in Turkey and shipped from there. It still got to me in decent time; but not as fast as I expected.

My BFF used to sell custom aprons on there. Her embroidery machine broke so she stopped. I gifted several of those and they were always a hit.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We exchange something for Christmas with my sister and BIL. And I have no idea what to even think about this year. I like to get them something a little different. One year, I bought an Amish basket (from a local basket maker down the road) and filled it with goodies that were locally made. One year, I went with a gift-type company with snacks and such. A few years ago, I noticed she was running low on nice, matching glasses for family dinners and bought her a gorgeous set of glassware. Sometimes we get them a gift card to a favorite restaurant. We always give them a large wheel of baby Swiss from our cheesemaker with whatever else we give them. We spend in the area of around $50 - $75. She says I always come up with the most interesting ideas, but I'm running out of ideas.

She is a gardener. I thought about a gift card to a local nursery that I know she likes.
She doesn't cook. She thinks reading is a waste of time. No magazines or books.
They are big wine-drinkers and make their own wines, but that's more of my BIL's thing.
No knick-knacks or anything like that. Not with 7 cats in the house, although the kids are pretty well-behaved overall.

Any ideas?
for your sister i have no clue your bro in law he might like a new razor along with some good soaps to get a really good shave with along with smelling good after

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Me, I'd love the gift card, too!

Well, I did think of something that I think they'll like. I had mentioned that my BIL has started to experiment with making his own wines. It's turned into quite the hobby for him and his wines are really quite good, particularly his white wine. He has his own labels for his bottles and his own company name, named after the feline love of his life. He doesn't sell his wines or anything like that. I'm going to have six white wine glasses engraved with the name of his company and a picture of his cat, essentially a smaller copy of the label that he uses. His daughter emailed me a copy of the label last night and she said they do not have engraved wine glasses. She's a little upset that she didn't think of it. I think it would be something a little different for them. He makes his wine and my sister drinks it! They are big wine drinkers.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to keep them for future reference.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a basket of gardening stuff, gloves, good hand cream, floral soap, a book on herbs and their uses, a plant that they can watch grow and know it's from you, a quirky watering can. That type of thing.

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for bumping, but I'm struggling to find a good gift for my sister. She is turning 40 next week and I still haven't bought anything for her. I'd like it to be memorable. Any ideas are appreciated.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
G Geul Does your sister like cats? Does she have a nice outdoor space to relax? Last year, I found paw print stepping stones at a local nursery and bought four for my sister and then gave them a gift card to a local restaurant. She has them out in a flower bed and they really look cute. I'm going down this fall to grab four paws for myself. They're really cute for a cat lover.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
G Geul . Not knowing your sister's likes and dislikes its a bit difficult but you could buy lots of small gifts, nice bubble bath, shower gel, hand cream, body lotion, books, nice stationery, bottle of wine, chocolates wrap them separately and put them in a pretty box or gift bag.
If she likes gardening, a plant that she likes so she can watch it grow year after year.
If she likes the theatre, tickets for a show.

Islandsportivo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can relate to your struggle, finding the perfect gift for a milestone like a 40th birthday can be challenging. One idea that could make it truly memorable is to consider Ulysse Nardin watches. They are known for their elegance and craftsmanship, and a timeless timepiece could be a meaningful and lasting gift for your sister. Whatever you choose, I'm sure your thoughtful gesture will be appreciated and cherished on her special day. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Etsy is my go-to place for special gifts. I got my grandma a necklace made from a 1918 mercury dime for her 100th birthday (2018). I found a Cioci gift for my aunt and she was just tickled over that (aunt in Polish; all the my grandmas sisters we called Cioci SoandSo. Now shes the great aunt.). I’ve done custom frosted beer glasses for my dad. Signs with his favorite classic muscle cars. Bracelets and water bottles customized for my nieces with their favorite sports. Custom graduation mugs. A Sentimental key chain when my aunt retired from nursing…

For my own 40th i received a Pandora bracelet with a few charms and a gift card for more. (I don’t wear it often but it is nice.) I also got a gift certificate to a float spa id mentioned wanting to try.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I like Etsy. Got the cat clock and the large cat figurine, both in the bathroom, from Etsy.