Giardia Help

Annabelleeeeeeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in June I rescued a kitten, Tulip. We already had a cat, Bagheera. And have since rescued a cat, Aurora.

Context: In June, Tulip was diagnosed with Giardia. By the time we found out, she'd already infected Bagheera.

Once we got the all clear, we rescued Aurora who per the rescue had been quarantined/had no health issues other than being deaf.

Even though we got the all clear a couple of months back, (I think end of August?) the cats are still having lose stools. Aurora wasn't, she was having normal potty until I recently changed their food to Blue Buffalo for sensitive stomachs- Tulip was throwing up every normal food until this one.

None of the cats are losing weight, they're all super healthy (and Tulip is growing like a weed!). They all eat normally (no binge eating), and they all play a ton.

Is it possible they'd still have Giardia? We went through I think 4 treatments, with 3 of those being with Pancur. The final treatment we used E-collars, sanitized daily, and got them new litter every time they pooped. We also washed their food and water bowls daily.

I'm dreading this because I'm about to move (tomorrow). And we'd be seeing a new vet which means we'd have to pay for vet visits for each cat AND stool samples AND medication if it's giardia. I already probably spend close to $1,000 on the URI, mites, and multiple giardia treatments for two cats.

Helppppp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annabelleeeeeeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To add context around the stool- it's definitely not solid but not as loose as it could be or as noisy as it was. But not solid.

I also tried buying an automatic cleaning litter box and it's just not working well with the loose stool. D:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So ALL the cats have loose stools still, or again? It's really hard to say if they have giardia again, or if it's the change in food possibly, or it's something else entirely. You said you are in the midst of moving, and cats are very sensitive to change. It's quite possible they are upset over the move. It really could be anything, but I would say if their stools aren't similar to when they had giardia before, in texture and SMELL, then maybe they don't have it :crossfingers:.

When you changed foods, did they ALL go on the new food, and did you abruptly change it, or did you slowly introduce the new food? An abrupt change can cause loose stools, particularly with kibble vs canned food. You might try giving them some FortiFlora (it's a probiotic that most cats find irresistable) to see if that helps firm things up. I buy it on Amazon, but you may be able to find it at the big box stores like Petsmart, etc. Last time one of my guys had diarrhea from taking antibiotics we used the Fortiflora and it cleared up right away.