Giardia antigen in poop, no symptoms

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My 1 year old Dumpling just had a poo PCR test done and it came back positive for giardia antigen. He had giardia in Dec last year. The purpose of the poop test was to see if he was positive for the coronavirus that mutates into FIP as his littermate and my baby Noodle died a few weeks ago very suddenly and it might’ve been FIP (the emergency vets hadn't diagnosed him yet and listed a few possibilities).
Dumpling has no symptoms, he's in perfect health. When I took Noodle to the ER, they tested him for giarida due to his history and the test was negative. Dumpling's vet said the giardia is likely part of his gut flora.
I'm thinking of getting another cat as Dumpling seems lonely. Would Dumpling infect a new cat with giardia and possibly continue reinfecting them over and over? Or not, given that Noodle was negative so clearly wasn't being infected by Dumpling?
Is there some way to get it out of him? He was treated with panacur and metrodizanole last year and got better, but I guess it didn't fully get rid of it??
Would probiotics like s boulardii work?
Thanks for any ideas.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Many cats can be asymptomatic with Giardia. I would talk to your vet about treating again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, as noted above, that Dumpling should be re-treated to try to eradicate it. And re-testing after treatment is probably a good idea too. Some strains are resistant to certain meds, so another med might need to be used.

Ask your vet about re-treatment, and if they don't recommend it, ask why. As far as I know, as long as the tests reveal giardia antigens then Dumpling can shed the parasite in his environment for another cat to possibly get infected. You might also ask about various strains and if there is any way to detect which one is applicable to Dumpling, and if that could impact the treatment protocol.

Giardia can live in the environment for a long time, so Dumpling could continue to get reinfected numerous times. If he goes outdoors, that increases the odds. Disinfecting/cleaning all areas of your home that Dumpling frequents is also a good idea and should continue for a while after he tests negative to ensure you've removed all traces before bringing in another cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your responses. The vet has recommended not treating unless Dumpling (or a potential new cat) becomes symptomatic. He says because the metrodizanole is difficult to dose with and is difficult on the gut for the cat, we should wait to see if it's necessary.