GI Problems and Raw

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I found this kitten that's up for adoption that's really cute, but I noticed that he has this special need. This is quoted from the listing:

"He was bottle fed since a few days old by a vet tech at a local vet clinic so is a total love with people, dogs and other cats. He struggled with GI issues once put on regular food so he is now on a restricted diet and meds. He needs to be an only cat-- at least for now-- for he is on a special diet and can not have access to any other foods. He will be on oral meds twice a day for another month then will be weaned off meds but kept on his low residue kitten diet  for a month more- then we will see if he can be weaned to regular higher end cat food."

[font=Arial, Helvetica, serif]I've heard about how raw can fix GI problems, and we have people here that deal with cats with GI problems. I wanted to get an opinion about this and how it might affect this kitten. Would he be able to eat raw at some point? And would it have to be a special type of raw diet? It's probably best to consult a vet that knows everything about the problems he has specifically, but what if no vets agree with raw?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, serif]Unfortunately I don't know more details myself, though I might be able to contact them and ask.[/font]

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know what the 'low residue' diet they have him on is?

There are people here with masses of knowledge on this and hopefully they'll be along soon, but it would be interesting to know what they want you to feed him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know what the 'low residue' diet they have him on is?

There are people here with masses of knowledge on this and hopefully they'll be along soon, but it would be interesting to know what they want you to feed him.
I was wondering the same thing. I planned to email them to get more details since I'd like to know and see what we're dealing with.

It says they want to put him end with him on a "higher end cat food." Not sure what that would mean either. For all we know, it could be Science Diet kibble .... 
  But hopefully they're more on the lines of a grain-free canned food. 

And yeah, I'm hoping the people that are experienced with GI issues in cats will chime in. I'm sure they will soon. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not experienced with GI issues, but this could be something as simple as allergies to a specific protein, couldn't it?  You definitely need more info, I'm thinking.  But, yes, raw has helped many cats who had GI issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the lack of information doesn't help much. I've tried looking it up, but I get tons of information ranging from needing a prescription diet, to feeding only canned, to feeding raw, to NEVER letting the cat eat raw. Not much help there.

I emailed them but haven't heard back. If I get more details on the exact problem and the diet they have him on, and what they intend to have him on, I'll post more about it.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say without knowing what the issue is.  My cat had supposed stomach issues, she used to puke kibble on a pretty regular basis, like daily to several times a week and the vet wasn't any help.  He put her on everything from SD sensitive stomach to hairball formula.  The reality is she can't eat kibble.  Canned and raw do not cause issues for her.  There are a few on here with IBD cats who do better on raw.