Gi Lymphoma Medications

tommyd017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’ve been reading this forum and scouting for similar topics and decided to just register and post in hopes someone may have some experience with the decision we are trying to make.

Our cat, Cali, had an ultrasound about a month ago that our vet believes is highly suspicious for GI lymphoma. We elected not to do a biopsy and started her on prednisolone. Her symptoms improved almost immediately and she continues to do well. We are thankful for that.

In my initial conversation with our vet, she expressed that she would be willing to also prescribe Leukeran for Cali without a definitive disgnosis per biopsy, but that she wanted to start the pred first. Cali’s blood work showed that she was anemic and the vet is now afraid the Leukeran would exacerbate that, which I understand. She now says she does not feel comfortable prescribing Leukeran without a definitive diagnosis.

My understanding of the two drugs is that prednisolone is treating the symptoms whereas Leukeran is what would actually send the cancer into remission. Has anyone treated GI lymphoma with pred alone? Anyone start with pred and introduce Leukeran later on? If so, why did you introduce it when you did?

Should I just be happy that Cali is feeling well and ride this as long as I can or am I missing out on valuable time to be a little more aggressive?

While I would surely like to have a definitive diagnosis to inform this decision, I absolutely didn’t want to put Cali through major surgery that is only diagnostic. I have no regrets over not doing a biopsy, just have to find a path forward from here.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi tommyd017 and welcome to the forum !

There is a specialized online community for folks whose cats have Lymphoma. They've been active since 1998 and have had 4000+ members. They have a 'presence' on FB, but their mainstay service remains as one of the 'Yahoo Groups' whose operating platform is email. It will be easiest managed by you with a new separate email account (Yahoo works well) dedicated for the group. Here's their info:
Now, there's also a newer Yahoo Group that focuses on Small Cell Lymphoma. It appears to be a busier place - more than that, I can't say. They also use email but from a different host. They're here: Feline Small Cell Lymphoma.

These specialized groups generally tend to be in-the-know on the most recent treatment protocols/drug trials etc. and offer the best point of first contact when it comes to specific feline diseases/conditions.

Now, all of that said, this site, TCS, is really the premiere cat forum, welcoming and friendly with lots of experienced folks who cherish cats.

Once you get the technical stuff squared away, do post some pics of Cali!

And then, keep us up-to-date.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is my understanding that if you get a biopsy at this stage in the game, Cali will need to stop the pred or it can change the results of the biopsy. she would need to stop the meds for a minimum of two weeks. Did your Vet tell you that?

Here is a thread related somewhat to what you're asking that you may find helpful, in case you haven't already seen it: To Surgical Biopsy, Or Not.. Ibd Or Small Cell Lymphoma

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule of thumb that I’ve heard is that if you can stabilize her weight loss or even put weight back on, it’s probably not lymphoma. Cancer eats calories. But whether you do leukeran or not, you should be doing B-12. She won’t put weight back on without B-12. Pred will suppress the immune system and in this way cool down the inflammatory response. But you still need to figure out which food or foods are causing the trouble in the first place and get her diet cleaned up. Pred can cause organ stress and other diseases over long term use.