Gi Lymphoma - 8.5 Yr Dmh Female

CatMommaKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like many, I came upon this site in search for answers and information. I wanted to post our current situation, in case it can help others in the future, and the support of animal lovers keeps us going.

It all started about 3 weeks ago. Our sweet Uma, who has always been a "picky" eater wasn't interested in eating, despite our normal tricks, crushed dehydrated salmon and nutritional yeast. She felt lighter to us, but we also have two other cats that are much larger than her. Besides the eating issue, she was BAR, eliciting pets, snuggling, etc. We decided to take her to the Vet just to make sure she was okay.

They did bloodwork, everything looked okay, except she had elevated protein levels and elevated Monocytes. An initial quick ultrasound didn't show anything of immediate attention, and so, we went home not feeling too scared. We scheduled her for a full ultrasound and were devastated when the Dr. came in to tell us she found a mass between her intestines and bladder. She collected a small specimen to send to the lab. The waiting was the hardest and the lab was taking longer than usual.

On Tuesday of this week I got the call - Lymphoma. The concern is also there was bacteria with the sample.

The doctor recommended surgery to remove the mass, and we take our sweet girl in tomorrow at 8AM.

I wasn't prepared for this, we've had her since a kitten, always fed her good food, up-to-date on check-ups, etc. And, my sister is currently battling lymphoma and going through chemo. At 8 1/2 she's young, she's an indoor-only kitty, and, it's just so sad. I cry, sob, and go numb.

We will do the best that we can for her. My heart breaks for all of you that have gone through this. I made her a promise that I would do all I can, and I will not make her suffer for me.

Thank you to the community.
Kara G.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and if you will allow me to say so, thank you to you for that promise to her, --it is so, so hard.
Hugs and love and prayers to you, your furbaby, your sister and everyone.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How did the surgery go? I'm guessing she will start chemo now? Just so you know, chemo isn't nearly as bad on cats as it is on humans, if that helps ease your mind a bit :alright:. Not to say she won't have days where she feels "punk", but they should be fewer than your sister has.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for both Uma AND your sister

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMommaKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did the surgery go? I'm guessing she will start chemo now? Just so you know, chemo isn't nearly as bad on cats as it is on humans, if that helps ease your mind a bit :alright:. Not to say she won't have days where she feels "punk", but they should be fewer than your sister has.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for both Uma AND your sister
Thank you so much for your message. Surgery went well, I wasn’t sure if our girl would come home today or not, and she did ❤ The vet removed the mass, including 4 inches of her intestine to avoid risk of perforation. Unfortunately there are some enlarged lymph nodes that could not be removed. We will await the lab results so we know what we are dealing with and the stage we are looking at. We will be setting up a consult with an oncologist. We are just so happy to have our lady home with us, every day is a gift.

Attachments

CatMommaKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Uma update: her recovery from surgery has been amazing. She is eating more, and seems to be acting more like her old self. That said, we had an appointment with the oncologist today.

Large Cell Lymphoma

The first recommendation was for the full chemo protocol, Vincristine-Doxorubicin-Cyclophosphamide

Followed by the following options:
2nd recommendation was for Doxorubicin alone.
3rd - pill only, Lomustine

As many of you that have gone through this. Sorting through the information, reading reports, trying to decide what is best for HER, and what will give HER the best quality of life. It's overwhelming.

Things to consider: The stress caused by going into the Vet 1x/week for chemo, her life expectancy, and, what is best for her?

No matter what, we will do something for our girl. She's starting treatment without a tumor, as the margins were clear. That said, I've also started her on Hemp oil to assist her little body. She's happy, she's eating more, she's not in pain, and she's being loved.

This is a tough journey, and one I was not prepared for, but will always do the best for her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
WOW
Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know!!

(...I just wanted to mention that you want to be sure it's CBD oil, not hemp oil being sold as CBD. Another TCS member has utilized Lazarus Naturals in case that helps.)
:heartshape:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the oncologist discuss the differences in those three options? Differences in quality of life while getting treatment, difference in life expectancy, etc.? If there are any differences, then a list of Pros and Cons for each options might help you with your decision on which way to go. Of course, there are no guarantees with any of them as each cat reacts differently, but at least it would be a start.

It's great that she is starting with NO tumors at all. I think that's super news, considering!!!!!!

CatMommaKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
WOW
Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know!!

(...I just wanted to mention that you want to be sure it's CBD oil, not hemp oil being sold as CBD. Another TCS member has utilized Lazarus Naturals in case that helps.)
:heartshape:
Thank you so much. Your note made me look up the difference! I found a company called Canna Companions that has pet-only products and am hopeful that it's good! I will continue to do research and will also check out the company you listed, thank you!!!!