Getting Wax Out Of Hair

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll start out saying I should have known better, and will never again have a candle burning w/out the candle being in a cage.
Angel jumped up onto the buffet, I thought was too high, and dipped the end of her tail in the melted wax. I had thought the wax would harden, and would break off. That was yesterday. It's still soft, sented candle.
How do I get the wax out? Tried combing, but it pulled too much.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Try rubbing some ice on it to harden the wax.

If that doesn't work you might try soaking her tail in hot water. It should be as hot as you can stand on your hand but not hot enough to burn.

When you're combing work on the very tip of her tail first. When you get the wax out of that move up to the next section. Don't try tp comb it all out in one swoop.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - Here are some other tips if you need them; soften the wax with the heat of your hand, next try a warm, damp washcloth or hairdryer on the lowest setting. Remove as much you can by gently rolling it out with your fingertips, then try the fine-tooth comb, beginning close to the skin and working outward.

If gentle manual removal isn't enough, use edible oil such as coconut, olive, vegetable - to soften soft wax. The oil should mix with and dilute the wax enough to comb most of it out. Be sure to use a food-based oil, not baby oil or essential oil products, because you don't want to run the risk of the cat ingesting that when grooming.

Beeswax, paraffin and most glass-encased wax blends are biologically inert so any small amount ingested from grooming will not harm your cat. If your kitty had the accident with another type of wax (or a scented candle) consult your vet or a poison control center as some essential plant oils are toxic to cats. If the wax just won't come out or the cat won't let you work on the area, bring your cat to a groomer or veterinarian.