Getting Two Kittens At The Same Time

anas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner and I are getting two kittens in a few weeks. Ideally we would have liked the kittens to have been from the same litter but unfortunately it wasn’t possible. One female is a full Ragdoll and the other female is a Ragdoll x Birman x Persian cross. Both are within a week off each other age wise. In terms of their character, neither seemed particularly dominant in their litter when interacting with their siblings. We also have a border collie.

We wanted to be as prepared as we can be for the kittens’ arrival and wanted some advice regarding bringing the kittens home. The kittens are currently 5 weeks old. What age should we aim to bring them home (8-10 weeks? Closer to 12 weeks?)? Should both kittens be brought home at the same time or should one be allowed to settle for a few days before we introduce the second kitten? Other than that we have been reading about the best way to introduce the kittens to the house and the dog to the kittens and vice versa.

We would appreciate any other advice as we want to do this right. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say 10-12 weeks is a great age for kittens to be confident and ready for new adventures. I would bring them both at the same time but still do a intro to one another over the course of a few days. With kittens this age you usually don’t need much more time than that. The intro to the dog for both should be longer but does depend on their reaction to him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
10-12 weeks is perfect. And since they are so young, I'm betting that they will adjust to each other very quickly, especially as they will be missing their litter mates. I'd bring them home at the same time so that neither of them actually feels as if it is "their" territory. It can be a place where they explore together. As for the dog...

Introducing Cats To Dogs

There's good stuff in that article. Of course, so much is going to depend on your dog's personality, but I'm pretty sure it must be calm and loving, or you wouldn't even attempt this!

When they get here, we want PICTURES!