Getting Sick Of All Wet Foods!

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I posted about a month ago about the same problem where my cat is starting to get extremely picky with her wet foods. I rotate her wet food everyday and it hasn’t been an issue for almost a year.. But recently she’s been getting sick of all her wet foods! I try new ones but she doesn’t seem to really like them either. She would sniff her food, lick her lips, and walk away. She’ll whine until I open up a different can but she’s been doing that with almost every can now! There are no other health problems that she has. I’m not sure what to do now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had a chance to try pouch foods? My guy won't eat the "morsels" but he often really likes the gravy.

You could try Merrick Backcountry, Natural Balance, or maybe Tractor Supply's Paws and Claws.

Tractor supply's 4Health is cans if you haven't tried this yet or chewy . com's Tiny Tiger, or Miko.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about putting treats on top of the wet food? I often do that when mine won't eat something. I buy a bag of freeze dried chicken which I'll crush to pieces and sprinkle on top.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I posted about a month ago about the same problem where my cat is starting to get extremely picky with her wet foods. I rotate her wet food everyday and it hasn’t been an issue for almost a year.. But recently she’s been getting sick of all her wet foods! I try new ones but she doesn’t seem to really like them either. She would sniff her food, lick her lips, and walk away. She’ll whine until I open up a different can but she’s been doing that with almost every can now! There are no other health problems that she has. I’m not sure what to do now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sprinkle Parmesan on top, sometimes my cat will eat whatever it is.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One pump of salmon oil, mixed well into a 5.5 oz can of food has been the difference maker for my Krista. She's a senior kitty with IBD and missing teeth (FORLs extractions) so I know about picky. She has been turning in clean plates since I mixed the salmon oil into her food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she and when was the last time she had a dental exam, sedated, with mouth x-rays? A cat who didn't used to refuse food who now refuses food may be doing so because of mouth pain. And this may be the only hint you get that her mouth is hurting her. Cats hide their pain, especially dental pain (they have no concept of dentistry and that mouth pain can be fixed.) Try changing textures. If she's always had pate, try shreds. If she's eating shreds, try pate. Try a mousse topper or smooth food. Though smooth foods/mousse foods tend to have problematic thickeners/gums that could cause other issues (soupy poops.) But at least it could help you determine whether she's developing a texture preference--a classic indication of mouth pain.

Have you taken her to the vet to rule out conditions that could be causing nausea?