Getting semi-feral cat into a carrier

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a semi feral cat that I need to take to the vet to get his nails trimmed. He playfully paws at me claws out and I'm a bleeder! I trapped him in a borrowed "fat cat trap" (he is huge!) to get him tested and vaccinated (and nails trimmed!). He arrived in my back yard 16 months ago with clipped ear, already having been TNR'd in the past. But he's not going to go for that again and I can't pick him up. I've tried a few times and he freaks out.

He's been living in my bedroom with one of my 4 other cats since the beginning of December. He loves me and is extremely affectionate but he hides whenever I'm not in the bedroom with him. The first time I tried to trap him I used a plastic carrier but he managed to burst out of it! I still don't know how because the carrier wasn't damaged. This time I think I need to use the fabric carrier that zips closed instead of using a door latch that can open with a lot of bouncing around!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he food motivated? Treats can go a long way. Another thought is the "hard" carriers come apart. You can use the bottom one and pretend it's a bed. Put some fluffy, irresistible blankets in it. It's still probably going to take some trickery and/or some sturdy gloves and long sleeves.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you ask the vet if they will give you some gabapentin? It works to make a cat quite loopy and easier to handle. I have a semi feral boy that I cannot handle. My vet gives me 2, 100 mg of gabapentin. I give one dose the night before and the second dose about 2 hours before the vet appointment. You would want the vet appointment early in the day. You should then be able to put a towel over the cat and get him into the carrier. The cat will need to be in a closed space while on the medication. They act very drunk like and wobbly. Yet it is the only time I have been able to handle my semi feral.

The difficulty is getting the cat to take the pill. It usually comes in a capsule form which can be hard for a cat to take. If you empty the capsule, it is quite bitter and hard to disguise even in tuna. The liquid gabapentin is similar. I have mine compounded by a vet compounding pharmacy. I get small tablets that I can place in a pill pocket or the new Churu bites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for suggestions. I have tried gabapentin and that didn't help. Also he doesn't know that treats are to eat. I will try feeding him in the carrier and see if that works.