Getting Second Cat? Advice?

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_3458.JPG
Hi everyone! I got my first cat the end of June, ive never had a cat before but he found me when he was only 6 weeks old stray and I am just smitten with him.

He really is such a joy and I believe he found me on purpose, a few weeks ago I had to put down my dog because of cancer. He beat it once only a year ago but it came back. A different much worse kind. He was only 8 years old and I adopted him when he was a puppy and needless to say I am heart broken, he was the most amazing loyal sweet dog you could imagine. I should say before this happened I was considering getting a second cat but I did have my reservations about it. Now I'm really considering it. I do not want another dog, I don't know if I ever will be ready for another dog. But I do have the room and time for a second cat. My reservations are still there and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

Simon is 5 almost 6 months old now. He is very very spoiled and a huge cuddle bug. He sleeps right next to me all night. He loved my dog and he loves my mothers chihuahuas when they come visit. He has not been around any cats since we've had him though. I'm worried that getting another cat may make him less of a sweet heart? If that makes sense, that maybe he won't want to sleep next to me all night.

Another thing, boy or girl? I was leaning towards male only because while growing up we only ever had male dogs. I've heard boys don't get along? Annnd another thing, id be getting this kitten from our local shelter so they would be spayed/neutered. Where as Simon was found as a stray and he has a slight heart murmur so he had NOT been fixed yet. The vet wants to wait until his 6 month check up to see if the murmur has went away and if it has he will be immediately fixed if it hasn't we will be doing and echo to see the cause of it and see if it is safe to do. I am 101% for spaying/neutering so if it wasn't for this heart murmur he would have been neutered long ago. This is what's really my biggest concern with getting a second kitten, again the second kitten will be fixed because he/she would be coming from the shelter so that's not my concern, it's the possible change in simons attitude? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone. Btw Simon is strictly indoor only.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would most certainly wait until Simon is neutered, and then give him a couple months to adjust. You don’t want him to associate the newcomer with the stress of the vet visit and procedure.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simon is so lovely, and it sounds like you're taking really good care of him.
I agree that it would be best to neuter him first and give him some time after the surgery to adjust before adding another cat. Especially since there is a risk of you having to wait even longer because of his heart murmur, he will start to feel more territorial as he gets older (and he is not neutered) and introducing a new cat could induce him to start spraying.

There is also a distinct risk that adding another cat will stress him out for a time, and he will be less affectionate with you while he adjusts. I don't think that this is usually a permanent change, just a short term stress-induced behavior. Make sure you pay lots of attention to him and give him all the usual treats etc, and once he gets used to the other cat he should be back to his cuddle bug self. In my personal experience, my cats have always fought for my attention - so I don't feel like they become less sweet once you introduce more. As long as you give them both lots of attention, especially while they are young, they will turn out to be very sweet cats.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that you should get a cat that is the opposite sex of the one you already have, but I have heard often on these forums that in people's personal experience boy cats are just more affectionate with other cats in general than girl cats. I don't think it would be the end of the world for you to get another boy. Try to go to a shelter that gives you background information on the cats - usually they will say whether that cat has already lived with/shows an affinity for other cats (cats that are housed in cages with other cats are a sure bet - but if there are only two you should think twice about separating them). Try to choose one that matches Simon energy-wise and is similar in age. And finally make sure you do the introductions slowly. It's a good sign that he seems to like dogs but does not guarantee that he will take well to a new cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, I would wait until after his neuter. I would definitely get a boy. My male cat Demi loves other cats, but my female cat gets tired of him easily. Once Demi escaped and was playing with the male cat from next door, so I know that 2 male cats can get along well.