Getting Rid Of The Cat Smell™

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't tell if im just not tackling the sources of these odors quick enough or if every place with a cat has a distinctive cat odor to it like my condo does. I clean the litterbox every day, i feed him wet food but i pick up the dish when he's done, he sprayed in the corner once but i cleaned it thoroughly twice for good measure, and there arent any other sources i can think of. As soon as it's not so hot here I can just leave a window open. It's definitely cat smell, it just smells like old wet food with a hint of litterbox. Are there any tips or cat-safe air freshener products any of you can recommend?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had this problem when I first got Tuff. After finishing the first box of litter, I switched to Fresh Step clumping litter and no more odors.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Unscented, and I have no smell at all. I started with Clump & Seal, which I thought had an odor to it itself. Kinda like wet clay. I thought it was just me being ultra smell conscious, but once I switched...nothing.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a spare bathroom that I’m able to give my cat for her litter box. I put an ionic air cleaner a couple of feet from her box. There are some rugs under her box that can be thrown in the washer from time to time. I had a large litter mat, but noticed it was nearly impossible to get all the litter out of it. Since that litter coming off her obviously has traces of urine and feces, figured that would smell.

Cat food does stink, doesn’t it? It will definitely make your garbage disposal smell. Use a squirt of dish detergent when you wash it down the disposal. Occasionally, clean the disposal with baking soda and vinegar.

If you have carpeting, use a carpet cleaner a couple of times a year. My cat gets a bath once a month, but there is still oil and dirt that they are depositing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the responses! Sorry I'm so late to get back to you. I bought a new enzyme cleaner to make sure i really got out the smell where he sprayed, and it worked nicely! The brand is "KIDS 'n' PETS". The packaging looks like an as seen on tv product so i was skeptical, but it was pretty cheap and it turned out to work so I recommend it.

I'll definitely have to get some Fresh Step litter too! I haven't been picky with the litter I buy lately, that could be a huge improvement. Thank you all again