Getting Rid Of Hyperpigmentation After Ringworm

Faycharaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My kitten had ringworm but is fully recovered now. His has has almost fully grown back but I’ve noticed that the fur has grown back alot darker in areas he had ringworm (I’ve attached photos).
He’s pointed grey but those areas are almost black.

Any remedy for this?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not sure that there is. Maybe just keep grooming him, and after time other color hairs may grow back in, after the little hair follicles (which are a lot more complicated than a person would think) has a chance to recover :)

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With time the areas may fade. The reason they grew in darker is because he is a stunning color pointed cat.

I'm a tad rusty on the science but it is something like this: The gene for color points is a heat sensitive partial albinism. The warmer parts of the cats around the torso activate the gene and are therefore albino or white.

The cooler parts of the cat like the legs, tail, and ear tips do not activate the gene and express the cats color. By having hairless areas from the fungal infection those became cool areas and the color was expressed.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you use Malaseb shampoo? Confirmed mine doesn’t have ringworm but it treats a host of bacterial, fungal, yeast infections. I might use Malaseb instead of Sebozole, but Bayer doesn’t make a conditioner for it. Sebozole has one if I were to change my mind, but since the meds are slightly different than Malaseb's I’m probably better off using Malaseb alone. Wanted to know what you used. I love making his hair soft :rolleyes2: