Getting Ready to Move for First Time Since Rescuing Senior Cat - Tips?

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Around this time last year I rescued a cat who had been living outdoors in my neighborhood. Vets estimate she is 11, but could be as old as 14 or 15 based on testimony from neighbors. She is generally happy and healthy and has been indoor/outdoor since I got her, though the extent of her trips outdoors are mostly limited to sitting in the backyard, she never ventures further than that. Right now I am living in a fairly large house with housemates who are home all day (working from home) and she gets to go in and out as she pleases, and, again, she's been in this neighborhood her whole life as far as we know. She is not microchipped (though I have brought this up as a possibility with the vet since she's getting a check up this week, just haven't gotten a response back to my email) and is not used to wearing a collar.

So, in about a month there are going to be lots of big changes for my little buddy! I will be moving into my own place, a top floor apartment a few miles up the road. This means she will either lose or significantly have to reduce her outdoor privileges - I have a balcony that I'll be putting a catio on, but I'm not sure about letting her roam around the park adjacent to the apartment complex, plus she will be in a new, smaller space, and she won't have people to hang out with all day as I work full time.

Any tips on acclimating her to all these changes at once? I am going to take a few days off work to stay with her while I unpack, get her accustomed to the new space before heading back out into the world, but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing her, and giving her a home, and taking her with you when you move. I think the main thing will be keeping her inside for a period of time (weeks) so she learns this is her new home, and won't try to find her way back to her original neighbourhood. If you decide to keep her as indoor only, that will make it easier.

Since she's older, she'll probably sleep most of the time when you're at work, however, try to set up a place in a window that she can sit and look out at birds and other things going on outside.

Here's some TCS articles with more info. Good luck with the move.

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, she does spend most of her days sleeping anyway, but she prefers to sleep on peoples' laps or next to them while they are working from home. She usually wakes up around the time I get home from work and feed her, then we hang out for the rest of the night. It's just going to be a lot of disruptions to her routine at once! And yes - a nice view for her was key when apartment hunting! :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this applies to all cats. Cats identify territory by smell; specifically what smells like them. So o pack their smells last & unpack it first in the room you can keep them in while you unload the rest of the stuff.

Stuff to pack are:

⭐Their litter boxes
⭐used litter after you scoop it .... I suggest garbage bags
⭐Cat trees
⭐All toys, beds, food,treats, medications
⭐Your unwashed bedding f egg on your bed .... don’t wash your comforter or blanket. I just packed my bedding/pillows in new giant black garbage bags 🤷🏻‍♀️
⭐any blanket/s on your couch, don’t wash

They will still be stressed but it will help. You can always give them a box on it’s side or a sofa blanket draped over a chair so they have a hiding spot in their room.

If you are really worried about it ask your vet to prescribe you a light sedative for your seniors yo get them through the first week.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Around this time last year I rescued a cat who had been living outdoors in my neighborhood. Vets estimate she is 11, but could be as old as 14 or 15 based on testimony from neighbors. She is generally happy and healthy and has been indoor/outdoor since I got her, though the extent of her trips outdoors are mostly limited to sitting in the backyard, she never ventures further than that. Right now I am living in a fairly large house with housemates who are home all day (working from home) and she gets to go in and out as she pleases, and, again, she's been in this neighborhood her whole life as far as we know. She is not microchipped (though I have brought this up as a possibility with the vet since she's getting a check up this week, just haven't gotten a response back to my email) and is not used to wearing a collar.

So, in about a month there are going to be lots of big changes for my little buddy! I will be moving into my own place, a top floor apartment a few miles up the road. This means she will either lose or significantly have to reduce her outdoor privileges - I have a balcony that I'll be putting a catio on, but I'm not sure about letting her roam around the park adjacent to the apartment complex, plus she will be in a new, smaller space, and she won't have people to hang out with all day as I work full time.

Any tips on acclimating her to all these changes at once? I am going to take a few days off work to stay with her while I unpack, get her accustomed to the new space before heading back out into the world, but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello ObeseChess ObeseChess and welcome to TCS! I've moved many times, with many cats of various ages, all rescued. I've also airlifted cats internationally. What's worked for me, very well, is to spray the interior of their carriers with Feliway hormone spray (available through Petco and online) to keep them calm and serene. If I had the option, I'd always move my stuff first, with someone overseeing that operation. I have a full house full of furniture, lots of clothes and personals, so I used a pro mover the last two times. This time I drew diagrams of each room and where I wanted all of the furniture placed, so that all went smoothly. Last to move were my cats and myself, with them. And I made sure my cats had a closed door and litterbox between them and movers/furniture. I set up their things (litterboxes, food and water stations, and cat furniture) first of all and closed them in confined areas so that they could acclimate gradually. I always keep my cats indoors-only, as it's what experts recommend and what responsible, caring people do, for their cats' health and wellbeing and their own peace of mind. I also make sure they get individual attention from me several times a day, especially during the transition period. My cats always wear collars with ID tags; I order the tags with the new contact info as soon as I know we're moving, and transfer them over right away.
Other posters have lots of good information. Thanks for doing what's best for your beloved cat, and may all go smoothly! We'd love progress updates and pix!:):lovecat4: