getting older = no fun

daddyincr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when my darwin was young we had a great time playing together. two games especially. i had this glove of a

cute little tiger. i would put it on and darwin would attack. we could play for 30 minutes before one of us got bored.

now at almost 3 years he no longer will play with me when i wear the tiger glove. what he does do with it now

is cute , however. he has 3 of them. he carries them around the house in his mouth once or twice a day and makes

the strangest noise while he does it. at night he brings 1,2, or all three into my bed when he comes sometimes during

the night. in the morning, he might take one and bring it somewhere else in the house. i can't figure whether it's

his friend, his pet, his prey or what? any ideas??

he also loved when i would through a baby's nipple at him. he's a great athlete. he would catch it in the air and bring

it back to me. then he would move away and wait for me to throw it again. at his current age, no more playing. it saddens

me a bit, but, perhaps it's because he has a younger sister who occupies him and has become more of his playmate

than me.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww!! It's clear you love your kitties very much. :rub:

As for the lack of interest in playing as kitties get older, it's my opinion that the cat is just growing out of his kitten years, like how kids settle down and are less rambunctious as they get older.

Other people here have reported their cats carrying around toys in their mouth and yowling too. We think it's some sort of prey/hunting thing, and the fact that he brings them to you seems to point to it. Just like how some indoor/outdoor cats will bring lizards and spiders to their owners as "gifts." There are two theories: 1. that kitty is bringing you a present because she loves you, or 2. kitty is trying to teach you, the poor pitiful human, hunting skills. :lol3:

My Boots loved crinkly paper toys and tinkly balls thrown for him when he was a kitten, but now he doesn't like those so much. Do you have a wand toy for your baby? How about Da Bird? Laser pointer? It could just be a matter of finding the right toy to interest him.

Good luck, and welcome to TCS. We'd love to hear more about your kitties or see pictures! :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daddyincr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my daughter brie loves the laser . darwin is just too smart. after a few moments he puts 2 and 2 together and says, " come on dad,

not fair." hahahahaha

costa rica has the worst toys you can imagine. only one cheaply made wand toy that they destroy real quickly.

what they both love-- i have an old king size mattress. i put it up against a wall at a slight angle where there is a high window.

they go up and down all day. funny to watch. darwin the big brother goes down head first. baby sister backs down until she's near the floor.

sometime they play king of the mattress. first one up jabs at the other and tries to prevent the other from gaining top position.

for me it's a riot. i was a dog lover my whole life until my son brought cats into my home almost 3 years ago. now, i hate going

to work and leaving them. but, man do they eat, so, gotto work.

i can't express how much i love darwin and brie. it's helped me appreciate all felines. we get a show here with jackson galaxy.

it's in spanish, so i don't get it. when i see aggressive cats i laugh. my guys are so social. they never bite anyone. darwin only

growls a little--and only when the vet makes a house call and draws blood. it's a soft continuous growl--almost funny.  i don't take my babies to the vet-- too stressful for them. not fair at all caging an animal to go to the vet. my vet has to make house calls.

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever my kitten Jokasta manages to wear me out with her crazies, I always say "I cannot wait until you are old, and fat, and lazy, and I get some rest at night." :))

But seriously now, it'll probably be pretty sad to see her calm down completely, so I do feel for you, OP.

Last edited: