Getting old

CassieJoe_94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is quite old with a few problems now, she’s got arthritis and kidney disease. She can’t hear as well or see as well. This morning she won’t let me pet her head. Some areas she doesn’t like to be pet because I think she’s sore and she’s getting a little matted since she’s not grooming like she used to and won’t let me brush her. She always lets me pet her head though I don’t know what’s wrong. She is just getting old. I have a vet appointment in 2 days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is 15+ and has arthritis, but so far no kidney disease. I am not sure about her hearing and eyesight, but if there have been changes, it isn't apparent in her behavior. She also doesn't clean as well as she used to. I have had some issues this year with her health - brought on by her first-ever bout with fleas, so I've noticed subtle changes in her behavior that I think are the result of her aging even more with the flea debacle. I have a thread about this, and one of the members/staff ( rubysmama rubysmama ) here offered to me a TCS article about aging cats that I didn't know about. I am providing that link to you below. Even though I was aware of a lot of the information in it, it was still helpful to be given a gentle reminder that there are likely some correlations between items noted in it and Feeby's behavior. Perhaps it will be the same for you.

Feeby has recently been in to see the vet, and thankfully everything checked out OK. So, I do think it is a good thing you are taking your girl in for a vet visit!!! I hope there isn't anything serious going on!

What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – Cat Articles

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started my boys on Nodens a few yrs ago. They were 9 and 7 at the time. The 9yr was slightly limping and within a month, I can't say he was back to kittenhood but he only limped occassionally and was running around again. At 13 it's time to start looking into medication at his 6mt check next month. The now 11yr hasn't shown signs of arthris yet. I took the bottle to the vet when I first started giving it. He said that he took the same ingredients minus taurine. It protects the heart and aids circulation but does not treat any arthritis already present.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, I use Glyco Flex Plus for Feeby (glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels). She started a year ago, and hasn't limped since. She is less 'mobile' than when she was younger, but better than she was before the Glyco Flex.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about joint health supplements. Hek went on one, and it has made a HUGE difference in how she feels.
Dosequin for cats is what I give Boots. Really works wonders! He's almost 13 and has arthritis. I get the capsules with powder you sprinkle on food. Also homeopathic remedies and certain pet safe essential oils can help.