Getting my Lucas to try raw, a new journey...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, poor Lucas is rather highly strung. So it very easily BE stress.... but perhaps it's also partially the physical stress on his body from just not finding a food yet he can eat. :(

Aw Tammy, I'm so sorry this is SO hard!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Sending more vibes to you and Lucas! :heart3: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just checking in to see what the urinalysis showed?  Also, are the allergy pills not having any positive reaction? 

Laurie, do you think your holistic vet could come up with something for these horrible allergies?  (I mean, without actually seeing Lucas, since he's in another country?) 

for Lucas  and
for you, Tammy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in to see what the urinalysis showed?  Also, are the allergy pills not having any positive reaction? 

Laurie, do you think your holistic vet could come up with something for these horrible allergies?  (I mean, without actually seeing Lucas, since he's in another country?) 

:vibes: :vibes:

for Lucas  and :hugs: :alright: :hugs: for you, Tammy.
We actually already tried that. :) The only real "answer" to the food allergies is raw. :( She wanted to help wean him off the pred with atopica, but that also made Lucas really sick. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi:)  Yes, we did try that with a wonderful vet that agreed to help us, but that was the problem, Lucas is allergic to all foods and the Atopica made him vomit a lot everyday, he was miserable, but it was worth it to try.  I just got back from the vet, I will update my thread in the health section. Thank you all:)

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention that the Allergy Defense pills could be working because his allergies are not as bad today, 

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no pearls of wisdom to add, I don't know enough about caring for cats to be helpful - but I wanted to let you know I think of you and Lucas every day, wishing you and he could find some relief from all this stress...

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, hi Laurie:)  Thank God today Lucas seems to be doing better, he is not having problems urinating anymore, the vet was right, it was just cystitis caused by stress.  The pills seem to be helping his itch, but today he scratch a little and looks a little red, I don;t know what to think, I just hope tomorrow he does better.  He has been eating only Hills z/d canned, I really don't want to give him or any of my kitties dry food, I was terrified when I thought Lucas couldn't pee because of a blockage.  I know I still need to change his diet because he is allergic to the corn starch on the z/d, but since the allergy defense pills seem to be helping I will keep feeding him that a little longer.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, being on the wet food will help the transition to raw if you're still thinking along those lines... especially if you don't try to go straight to Frankenprey.

But at least everyone's stress levels are lower - that's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :bigthumb: I hope those pills keep helping! :clap: :clap: :clap: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heart3: :hugs:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammy- so glad to see your post :hugs: AND happy to hear that Lucas is doing better. :hugs: Your a great meowmy to him and doing the very best you can under the circumstances. Just take your time and try again with the raw when you are feeling ready to give it another go. Keep us updated on Lucas - we DO care for him and YOU :hugs: :rub:

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to see that the cystitus and allergies seem to be coming under control, Tammy!!! I know how worried you already are.
Both you and Lucas are due for some good news... ASAP!!!

AC

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tammy, I just see this thread now.  When I transitioned my 3 senior cats to canned/raw, one of my cats walked away all the time in the beginning.  Achilles didn't have good appetite at that time, and he treated anything other than dry as something disgusting.  No matter what I added in his wet, he  would shake his front paw in front of wet food as if he just stepped into dirty water.  I tried to play with him for a long time when other 2 cats were eating, just to make him extra hungry and tired.  After all the waiting and exercise, he was too tired to discern what was in the dish, he finally took a few bites.  It took about 2 months to improve his appetite.   Now he would eat anything in front of him, but red meat would make him happier.     

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, sorry for not posting sooner, Lucas is urinating normal now, his urianalysis was normal, thank God, no infection, it was just stress.  What is still bothering him is his skin, I dont want to take a picture to show you all because you all will be horrified if you see his back.  No hair, red and ugly.  He starts to heal ,but then he starts scratching again and he bleeds and if he keeps doing that he will never heal.

I stopped giving him the Royal CAnin because he was not getting better, so I'm giving him z/d dry again and I bought canned Nature's Logic chicken,  I haven't started him on it yet, I will  this week.  I just pray to God he likes it.  He likes all kinds of dry food, but he is picky when it comes to canned, he only loves hills z/d canned. 

The vet  told me he suspects what Lucas is not allergic to food, he thinks now that Lucas is scratching because he is stressed, because he is such a sensitive nervous kitty,  It kinds of makes sense, but I don't know what to think anymore.  I told him how he got better months ago when I started him on z/d dry,  and he told me it could have been a coincidence. I also told him how he reacted immediately when he ate Natural Balance green peas and duck, but he says it could have been stress also . 

He also told me to get Revolution just in case, but Lucas doesn't have fleas or other skin parasites, but I got it just in case.

If Lucas is stressed the only reason is Nena, Nena is the kitty that I rescued like a year and a half ago.  He never liked her and she is mean to him.  The vet told me to keep them as separated as possible, but that is not easy.   I love Nena and she loves us to death, I can't give her away'.  So the vet told me, again,  that I should put Lucas on a low dose of Prozac, which I refuse to do.  Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I don;t want to do that.  If lucas is stressed, I will help him and I will deal with the situation, by Prozac?  I don't know. I'm taking Lucas to a new vet next week if he doesn't improve.   I need a second opinion on that.

I haven't given Lucas any raw since he got sick, but I will slowly try soon.  Changing foods is stressful for him too and since he hates raw is not easy.  I'm afraid of making him sicker by stressing him.  I will try slowly. I tried  too hard and messed things up.

Hugs to all for caring about my boy:)

Tammy