Getting My Kittens Fixed - 4 Months

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just recently adopted 2 kittens (in addition to my resident cat) and have booked them into be fixed on Thursday. Ones a male and the other female and I don’t want any accidental litters.

They were born Feb 16th so they’re within age. My only concern is the female is very tiny and they both haven’t had their vaccinations yet. Ideally, I would have preferred for them to get their vacs first but time is an issue and I think they need to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Is it safe for unvaccinated kittens to have the surgery? And if my female kitten is too small, will the vet let me know? I don’t want to risk any danger for her.

Photos of the kittens below

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are unsure about the little girl, just have the little boy neutered. As long as she is an indoor cat she will be safe . Have a word with your vet and ask his advice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she's healthy and weighs at least 2 pounds, she should be fine. But, yeah, do talk to the vet and see what they say.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look too small in the photos, but do make sure the vet weighs her before the surgery (as others have said, she needs to be at least 2 pounds), and express your concern about vaccinations. Many vets do vaccinations at the same time as the spay/neuter.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you ask the vet, they will probably do the first set of kitten shots while they have them for the surgeries. It's not my favorite way to do things, but it's always a possibility.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ask the vet, they will probably do the first set of kitten shots while they have them for the surgeries....
I would ask about the issue.....but, I wouldn't allow it to be done at the same time !

We've seen poor post-spay recoveries here on TCS when vaccines were added into the mix - and, we know very well that vaccination alone can result in adverse outcomes.

But.....how can it be that a Vet will accept a cat for a spay procedure before even examining her? It's a 'cart before the horse' situation ! The question you're asking here should be put to the Vet at that time.

Ideally, if the Vet is prepared to spay without the vaccine 'on board', then she could be vaccinated when she goes back for her post-spay recheck.....which should be part of the whole process.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with white shadow white shadow on this. I would have the vaccination done the same time either. Some cats are quiet/ nauseous for a day or so after the vaccination add that to a spay/neuter and thats a lot for a kitten to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

Ideally would have preferred to get them vaccinated first but only just adopted them and they’re at the age where I’m concerned about the female getting pregnant.

I’ll get them spayed and have them vaccinated during the follow up visit (making sure first though that the female is okay to go through with the surgery).

Both are going to be spoiled rotten when they get home tomorrow night