Getting My Feral In The House

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my Feral is doing pretty good in the yard, she has been going in the house
we built for her. Lately she has been popping in our house for a bit.
I want her to live in our Home, I TNR'd her so I do not want to trap her again.

I have successfully been giving her Comfortis Flea Control, but wondering if there
is anything else I should do before bringing her in the house.
if I get her in the house I know she will need to see a vet,
but I know it will take time or sedation to get her there.

I have read many articles about preparing the house for her and am going to do that.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing is a room of her own that is cat proofed. If you are using a bedroom, be sure the bed is flat on the floor or picked up. Under the bed is the first place the cat will go to hide and it's impossible to get them out. You don't want the cat hiding under beds or under/behind large furniture. It makes inside socialization too hard.

I find that Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract works very well to get a cat to quickly use the litter box.

A vet visit should come sooner than later. I kept the cat carrier in the room with my feral and used it as a place to feed him. I purchased a large mesh carrier instead of the hard plastic type. I feed him in it each day. On the morning of the vet visit, I put food inside, he went inside, I then blocked the exit with a firm chair pad and zipped him up.

I also alerted my vet to his feral nature. They did his exam in small doses so to not overwhelm him.

I am in the process of moving soon. I will be bringing 3 more ferals inside my home in the next 4-6 weeks. I have a mobile vet coming to the house. I am so happy I found this place as it will make it much easier and less stressful.

Thank you for taking care of this sweet one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info about the Litter!
I will get a cat carrier too, for when she does come in and stays.
Not sure if she will go in it tho, she has been trapped and she didn't like it.
I will check into the Mobile Vet, How do you find vets that will see a Feral?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 2 previous ferals I have brought inside also had been trapped previously. I just used a carrier that was really large and tall. Here is the one I used

I did a google search on Mobile vets in my area. I then called and spoke with them. I was told they had experience with feral cats and if needed they would do a light sedation. I wanted a check up, vaccines, FIV/FELV test, microchip and flea treatment. They can do it all. To me it's worth a try. I will have them all in carriers so they cannot just run around the run.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow your awesome! Thanks!
I will call a mobile vet, yeah I'm pretty sure they will need to sedate her.
So how did you close the carrier without the cat running out?
Hope she comes in to stay soon.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The carrier had a zipper all around that you could roll up. I just fed him in it every day. I started by feeding right outside and then gradually more and more inside until all the way in the back. Then I used a sturdy chair paid to block the exit and zipped it up when he went inside to eat.

While I training him to eat inside the carrier, I was sure to sit beside the carrier so he got used to that as well.

I also found Feliway plug in very helpful. Music being played also helped. I often used a radio that had a soft rock, but also some talk so that he got used to hearing other voices. The first few days were rough. He threw himself against the window and yowled and howled all night. I started giving him Composure treats and that helped for 4-5 hours. I then moved to liquid Composure max and it lasted longer. It's non sedating calming supplement. You can find it on Amazon.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just heard about the Feliway, sounds great. Also my petco carries the Dr Elseys
I emailed the Feral Cat Coalition and maybe they can help me with finding a vet to help me.
I think this is going to be a long process, but hoping the winter cold will coax her in.
I do live in San Diego but it still gets pretty cold!!
Thanks so much!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Using the food as a tool to coax the cat indoors....move the feeding dish, little by little (6" every day or 2) towards your entry door and then progress further inside the door. This can be a long process...took me *weeks* with distrustful feral, stray Bug. Get the food in far enough to close the outside door behind her while she's concentrating on eating. Cat is now inside to enable the integration process.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! sounds like I'm doing something right
I just starting feeding her inside the back door, I will start moving it.
I'm so happy she is starting to trust me again after the trapping.
It's been a year, sheesh I'm so grateful others go thru this too.
Sometimes I feel like a crazy cat lady, Thankfully my Husband is supportive.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Their security is first and foremost. Unfortunately, violating their trust, being sneaky, outsmarting them to get them indoors is fully called for, all in their long term best interests....so whatever it takes, initially. I'm sure members here have used varying methods, though this one worked for the devious Bug.

Anytime i made a move *near* the sliding glass door in an attempt to close him in ...he instantly bolted out. It literally took me *weeks*, the smart little SOB. But finally got him neutered, vetted and he's an indoor only, very happy, willing participant these days. He was my first and only challenging feral adoption.

Then came stray Princess, very willing to come indoors to a family atmosphere...she fit right in. She knew exactly what she was looking for and played me like a fiddle.

Bug is the big guy in this photo, Princess is snugglin'.

bugnprincess.JPG