Getting My Cats To Trust Each Other?

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're fostering to adopt a LH tuxedo named Oscar. He is such a sweetie and very, very playful. We also have a medium haired tuxedo named George. He is also super sweet and extremely playful. Oscar has been with us for a week, he's pretty comfy already drinking, peeing, eating, pooping, cuddling, the works. A couple days into him being there George was sticking his paws under the door to say hello and Oscar hissed but then began to roll over and played back. Next day the door was open a crack and they sniffed each other with no aggression. A couple more days of this, and then we held George back (as he usually just runs right up to new fosters) and then opened the door for a minute so that they could stare at each other. Went well.

They met face to face yesterday. My fiance holding George and letting Oscar walk up to him. They sniffed, all is well. Today, I decided to try and let them meet the same way but keep George close, he was a bit more uncomfortable so I thought maybe it as because I was holding him. I let them be near each other not being held back, playing with them both. George was very preoccupied by all the Oscar smells in the cat room but Oscar wanted to play so he ran at George through a tunnel. George jumped and turned back with a frightened meow. I quickly put a blanket between them to block the sight and George walked away. Still no hissing or anything but, I'm wondering if anyone has any trust building exercises I can do for the cats?

I want them to know that the other isn't being aggressive, they just want to play. Its only been a week, so maybe I should just keep doing what I'm doing? Any advice is great. Oh also, Oscar is NOT food motivated at all so I can't build trust that way. Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOU do not need to tell one that the other is not being aggressive. Do not intervene when they spot each other, meow, hiss, growl.... let them work it out. Also do not bring them together by holding one. Just open the barrier between them and let them find each other. You can swap them completely at first a few times so they an both check out the other's living spaces alone.

But this is going totally fine so far. Hissing and other noises are communication. You cannot scold them for this or stop it. Let it happen. They will tell each other then enough is enough and the growling and hissing is just them warning each other to be careful. If you intervene too much, especially if you scold them or stop them from communicating, you end up with neurotic cats.

Let them be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the validation guys!