Getting my cat a feline friend for company...

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been on the fence about this idea for quite a while now and I'm still not exactly sure what to do.

Here is my/our scenario. My cat is 12 almost 13. She still looks and acts like a young girl... Like maybe 5. However she does have some dietary issues due to her older age. As a young kitten she lived with several other kittens until she came to my family's house. I along with my father primarily took care of her. From then until last summer, she lived at my parents home as a single cat. We relocated recently to a completely new state far away from my family.

First my cat and I moved in with a roommate who had a dog. That was ok but not ideal. My cat like most cats doesn't like dogs. That living situation lasted for 8 months when I moved out to my own apartment which is a large studio. She acclimated herself to the new surroundings pretty quickly but I can tell she gets kind of lonely. She loves people but I'm not sure how she will react to another cat. It's been 12 years since she lived with other cats.

Is it possible or does it make sense to get kitty a feline friend to play with?

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so. I would get someone known or thought to be good with other cats. I also would get someone at least 5 or older, maybe even 7 or older. A local rescue organization or shelter should be able to help you find the right companion for your girl! Keep in mind age, energy/activity level, and temperament. Similar cats are more likely to get along. When you bring Newbie home, do proper kitty introductions with keeping them separate, etc.

And don't forget that the cats may never be bestest buds (though they might be!), and you need to be able to give New Kitty the same amount of love, etc. you give your current kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I'm actually going to start volunteering at my local animal shelter soon. This way I can get to know all the cats there and see which one will be right for her.

I just feel bad for my cat because I work the regular 9-5 mon to fri so when I come home she meows at me forever as if to say "why do you leave me here alone for so long every day!?" I take her outside with me to the courtyard in my apartment building to let her have some fun watching the birds and squirrels that have taken up residence there. But I know she needs more than just that.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly for her as well as myself when I do bring in a new friend.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I personally think most cats do best with a companion. My poor Gracie was (and is) very lonely. We brought home a companion with a history of household (but not shelter- she roamed freely with the cats with no problem) intercat aggression, so that's quite a bit of a challenge. It's been a month, but they're still separate. However, I think things will likely go smoothly for you; don't let my situation scare you away. :)

Best of luck in your search! :)