Getting Mats Out

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone I currently have a foster/potential forever cat named Gypsy. We think she is part Maine Coon or Forest Cat (So much floof!). She has some matting on the side of neck and I was wondering if those dematting rakes work if it's closer to the skin. It's not touching I can put my finger between her skin and the mat.

I'm a dog groomer so I have clippers, but she's really skiddish and they are kinda loud so I was thinking trying this first. My other cats are DSH so I haven't had to deal with a long haired cat before. Any advice on mats and future prevention really appreciated!

*~Thanks~*

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut mine off with a pair of very sharp scissors. As close to the skin as possible. It's very easy to do. Our cat who gets occasional mats also goes to a groomer.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As close to the skin as possible, on condition it's far enough that there's no chance of actually cutting skin. You cut skin and she'll end up with a scissors phobia.

Use extremely sharp and, um, tight? (you don't want there to be any extra room between the blades when the scissors close) scissors. Getting the fur caught between the blades and pulling is also a bad idea. But it's the edges of the blades you want to be sharp, not the points.

If you can't actually get beneath the mats to cut, that's okay. Cut through the mat. Just get as much of it as you can, painlessly. Once the mat is down to crew-cut length she'll be able to groom the remainder out of her fur, or you will with a simple brushing. And even if you can't she'll be more comfortable because the mat won't be tugging on her.

Margret

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have some advice on this issue:

Do NOT hold your cat while your wife turns on a ear and nose hair trimmer to trim the mats out of your cats fur!!!! Trust me on this one.

Wow I was impressed. Greg lept out of my arms and slashed the skin on my hand right thru to the fatty underlay. He wasnt trying to hurt me, he just wanted to get away. Our previous cats would have only scratched or just broken the skin.

Second piece of advice: do NOT try to completely cut the matt out. When we first got our cats, I tried to cut a large mat out of Arnold's fur. I was very careful and closely watched his face for any sign of discomfort. He never flinched or showed any pain. But I cut him with the scissors. I did not even know it until the cut began to scab over. I felt sick.

He never bit or struggled and he seemed to completely forgive me.

When cutting out a matt I now use small sharp scissors with thin cutting blades. And I NEVER try to cut all the mat out. I now cut only small portions of the mat out at a time and I STOP before all the mat is removed. I have found once most of the matt has been cut out, the remaining matt next to the skin can be teased apart by hand and brushed out. If it still cant be removed, I leave it alone (brushing it occasionally so
IMG_0651.JPG
it doesnt get bigger. It seems the mat will grow away from the body as the fur grows. This allows me to again trim away the pieces until its gone.

Also when cutting the matts, I try to pinch the base of the matt with my fingers so I CANT cut their skin.

Im not a groomer but with over 40lbs of cats to look after this has been my experience.