Getting in my face at night

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dodger is very affectionate, which I love about him. However, when I'm sleeping it's not enough just to cuddle up next to me. He goes straight for my face and forcibly rubs his face all over my face, purring the whole time. He doesn't lick or nibble. He just rubs his wet nose all over my face in a forcible way. It's a very deliberate and almost desperate act. I just adopted him 2 months ago and he's always done this. Any ideas what this behavior could mean?

I am trying to break him of it because it wakes me up and I need my sleep to function at work. I usually pull the blanket over my face or turn away and then he leaves. I don't know how to discourage him from the face rubbing while still letting him know it's OK to stick around and cuddle next to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I don't know if this will help or not, but could you obtain a heartbeat toy or a purr toy, and give him that when he's in your face? It might help to let him know its ok to stay, just not to rub his nose all over you :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would a phrase you can remember to repeat (”like “no face” or “settle down”) and when he continues, close him outside the room for the rest of the night. If you repeat the warning every single time, he will figure out the consequences of rubbing against you and stop.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who would do something similar. He would sleep on my pillow up against my face. I'm a very heavy sleeper, so often I would just sleep through it. Or on the weekends, I didn't need to be up early so just let him chill. I did sometimes have to lock him out of the bedroom, but I tried to keep that to a minimum.

I did note that he got less fidgety with age, so it was more of a problem early on.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed—- I think this is an ‘early phase’ cat thing. Maybe he has some anxiety/separation issues that cause him to want to be near to you as possible! To me it sounds adorable, but get that you need sleep. I do think a warning signal, or repeated gentle, insistent shove, should send him the message eventually. 2 months is not a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. He's getting better. Still snuggles right up to my face but has cut back on the nose rubbing. I just turn my face away and ignore him and he will settle in and go to sleep. I think he just wants me to wake up. One morning his food bowl was empty, so maybe he was hungry. Or maybe he just wants me up because he's up. :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie does that to me all the time i just grab her then hold her like a stuffed animal on my chest and fall back asleep to the sound of her purring while i pet her. edit i have to add this also i am always rubbing graycies face or head while she is sleeping :lol:so i guess that makes things fair

Last edited: