Getting Her Back N Dry Food

Gladden

Friendly Elf Extraordinaire
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoe had a cold, so she wasn't eating her dry food, so I put her on wet food, which I warmed for her so itd stink more. That worked, but I'd like to put her back on dry food. The problem is she throws a tantrum, jumping up and thumping the door if dry food is in the bowl.

Any tips for coaxing her back to dry? It's easier on me :p

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would drain some of the gravy from the wet food onto the dry food. Maybe even mix in a little of the wet with the dry. See if your cat will eat it that way and then gradually reduce the amount of wet food mixed.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright I agree with your kitty on this one. If budget and timing allow it, she should be fed wet food 3 times a day (at least two times a day.)

If not, do what Graceful-Lily suggested to get her back to dry.

I give my boy 1/4 cup dry and two cans of wet food a day. He is a kitten and still growing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding canned food is no harder than feeding dry food. If it's the smell you are concerned about, your cat actually likes that stinky meaty smell. You can use a timed feeder to provide canned food meals to your cat during the day. Some feeders have ice packs to keep canned food cool. Maybe as a compromise you can offer canned food when are at home, like in the morning and evenings, and leave some dry food out during the day in case your cat gets hungry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gladden

Friendly Elf Extraordinaire
Young Cat
Purraise
She eats about 1 can of Fancy Feast a day. Not a big eater it seems. Got a deal on it today, so will keep up with the wet.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She eats about 1 can of Fancy Feast a day. Not a big eater it seems. Got a deal on it today, so will keep up with the wet.
If she let's you try to add some warm water to her fancy feast. Good to get that extra moisture in if she's eating some dry still.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one 3 oz can per day? An average cat will eat 2-3 fancy feast 3 oz cans per day. My boy Jackie will eat 6 oz wet and 1/4 cup or less of dry food a day. Granted he weighs about 8 pounds and is 8 months old so he is still growing. Also he will only eat about half a can of fancy feast at a time. Those Sheba perfect portions are just the right size for a cat meal. They are more graziers than large meal at a time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are different in how much food they need to maintain a healthy weight. Willow gets 1/4 cup of dry food and 1/2 of a 3 oz can of wet food a day and weighs around 12 pounds.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Count yourself lucky she eats the wet food.
I've always fed my 3 on dry only, thinking I had them on the best possible diet.
That was until my nearly two year old boy got a UTI, I did a ridiculous amount of research only to find, wet is best.

One of them wont even try the wet foods I got, she sniffs, walks away and throws me attitude until she gets her nuggets. Haha... she's the queen bee of the house

I dont know how to post the articles that are on this site, but search the dry v wet and they should come up.
This has been my bible with my babies, and my vets saviour as I dont call every other day anymore Haha.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hide my boy’s dry food until he finishes the last 1/2 or 1/3 of a can of his wet food. (When he doesn’t like the flavor I feed him that time.)

I have heard of people mixing like 1/4 wet to 3/4 dry and slowly increasing the amount of wet over weeks or months. My boy is getting his amount of fish slowly reduced to chicken or beef (hence the pout.)