Getting frustrated with 9 month old kitten peeing outside of litter box

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, 

My kitten (Penny) is turning 9 months at the beginning on August, and has for the last few months been urinating and sometimes defecating outside the box. 

I've tried different brands of cat urine cleaner (very expensive) - and the vinegar & baking soda trick. But nothing has worked... 

She first started peeing outside the box a few months ago when she had a cat tunnel. She loved that cat tunnel so much and played with it non-stop for weeks when suddenly I came home one day and it was drenched in her pee. I took it away immediately and tried to wash it with cat cleaner (with enzymes) and that didn't help at all because it still smelt so I threw it away. Another problem was that she peed on the cat tunnel on the rug right in the middle of the living room floor. She peed again in the same spot 5 times; so I gave up and bought a new rug then she stopped peeing there. 

Next she started peeing on the door mat at the front door. I suspected maybe one of us had bought in traces of cat/dog/other animal pee/poo in on our shoes so she thought it was a good idea to start using the door mat. 

Again she re-visited the door mat several times before I decided to throw it away. To my dismay she continued to pee at the front door (wood floorboards)  in the same spot where the door mat use to be and she has been continuing to do so since... 

Then one day a few weeks ago she peed and poo'ed on the wooden floor behind the sofa! It was a very nasty surprise for me as I was reading a book and caught the stench of cat poo up my nostrils whilst relaxing on the sofa. Again I have cleaned and cleaned that spot. But she continued to return so I blocked her access to behind the sofa completely a few days ago and it has stopped. 

In between all of this she sometimes pee/poo on the tiled floor AROUND her litter box in the kitchen... now this is quite annoying as her litter box is right there! She still continues it until this day!

And now today is really my last straw. I came home all happy from getting a promotion at work when suddenly I found a wet patch on my rug. The very same rug that I only bought 2 months ago! 

I have checked with the vets and they gave her all clear. I've been cleaning her litter box regularly. 

And I am not sure what else to do because often she does her random pee/poo when I am at work so I cannot discipline her. 

I am also very concerned that because it is on wooden floorboards that her urine smell has soaked through the cracks of the floorboards and will forever be a toilet spot for my kitten.

Please help as it is awfully distressing for me and I love my kitten so much that I can't bear the thought of giving her away.

I've had her since she was 14 weeks and she is pure white with sapphire blue eyes. She is also completely deaf so I can't simply shout "no" to her. She was also spayed at 6 months old.

Thank you

Regards, 

Kim

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other thoughts: you say litterbox.  You should first try adding more boxes.  Given that it is already a (IMO) serious issue I would add several more, a minimum of one per room.

If that doesn't work I would try retraining her using a large crate or by isolating her in a bathroom with nothing but the box and food and a few toys until she is consistently going.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, 

No she isn't declawed & I only have her as my only cat

Last edited:

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other thoughts: you say litterbox.  You should first try adding more boxes.  Given that it is already a (IMO) serious issue I would add several more, a minimum of one per room.

If that doesn't work I would try retraining her using a large crate or by isolating her in a bathroom with nothing but the box and food and a few toys until she is consistently going.

Good luck.
Hmm I have not tried adding new boxes. She's had one litter box since day 1 in the kitchen and she had been a good girl using it all the time up until a few months ago; so I am unsure what is going on. I don't think it would be pleasant putting additional boxes in the living room & the dining room. Is that normal for people to put one in each room? Can cats get lazy?

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm I have not tried adding new boxes. She's had one litter box since day 1 in the kitchen and she had been a good girl using it all the time up until a few months ago; so I am unsure what is going on. I don't think it would be pleasant putting additional boxes in the living room & the dining room. Is that normal for people to put one in each room? Can cats get lazy?
The 'rule' is usually number of cats+1 for boxes, so 2 for one cat.  However, in truth, people tend to have however many boxes is necessary for their cats to always use it.  For some people that can be one box.  For many, it means more than one.  If you are really uncomfortable about having one in the dining or living room, have you tried putting one in the bathroom(s) at least?

I think it is very common for people in multicat households to have boxes in the living room or their bedroom. It seems less common in the dining room.  I have two boxes for 2 cats; one is in my living room area.  I scoop very frequently (absolute minimum, twice a day, but far more often 3-5 times a day) to ensure it doesn't smell bad in there, and also do burn candles a lot.  I am not going to lie and say it is super pleasant all the time, but I will tell you it is definitely better than them using the floor or furniture and that the smell can be managed if you clean the box frequently  enough..   

Last edited:

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be unpleasant, but if you can get her using the box consistently, you might be able to gradually cut down on the number.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please help as it is awfully distressing for me and I love my kitten so much that I can't bear the thought of giving her away.

I've had her since she was 14 weeks and she is pure white with sapphire blue eyes. She is also completely deaf so I can't simply shout "no" to her. She was also spayed at 6 months old.
One more thing and then I'm done (at least for now).  There is almost no chance that anyone will take a deaf cat with inappropriate elimination problems.  She will almost surely be euthanized if you do decide to give her away.  I don't mean that as a guilt trip (and realize you are posting here because you strongly want to avoid that) but it is the reality. 

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just started this behavior out of the blue? Is is something that she does every day now? Does she go outside even a little?

You should call your vet to rule out a few things, urinating outside the litter box can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. Defecating outside the box can be from a parasite, irritable bowl syndrome, Impacted anal sacs, yuck, and other upset stomach conditions.

Since she's doing this while you're at work though, maybe she's feeling lonely/separation anxiety. You could try this product called Feliway I hear it's remarkably effective, I know some people here use it. It comes in a plug in and emits pheromones to calm and soothe your cat.

I leave on a radio for my cat when I have to leave, since yours is deaf that's not helpful, but they sell these dvds of birds and fish you can put on the television to keep them entertained, you could try those too and also I leave an old t-shirt with my scent around for my kitty so he feels safe.

Some cats are also just incredibly particular with their boxes and will not use them if there's anything in them at all. Oh and one more tip, some cats are finicky about their litter and don't like certain kinds, you could try switching brands, scented to unscented, clumping to non-clumping, or using something natural like wood chip litter or litter made out of corn. Maybe that litter is irritating your cat's skin or something? I hope one of these ideas help you.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been watching this thread, and now my suggestions. Try adding some Cat Attract to her litter, temporarily putting another box where she pees the most and start scooping twice a day. There was something that set her off in the first place. Are there any other cats around outdoors that she can smell? Has anyone been around your place that she wasn't used to? Was there any kind of storm the day you first noticed the peeing?

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might be unpleasant, but if you can get her using the box consistently, you might be able to gradually cut down on the number.
I know :( thank you
The 'rule' is usually number of cats+1 for boxes, so 2 for one cat.  However, in truth, people tend to have however many boxes is necessary for their cats to always use it.  For some people that can be one box.  For many, it means more than one.  If you are really uncomfortable about having one in the dining or living room, have you tried putting one in the bathroom(s) at least?

I think it is very common for people in multicat households to have boxes in the living room or their bedroom. It seems less common in the dining room.  I have two boxes for 2 cats; one is in my living room area.  I scoop very frequently (absolute minimum, twice a day, but far more often 3-5 times a day) to ensure it doesn't smell bad in there, and also do burn candles a lot.  I am not going to lie and say it is super pleasant all the time, but I will tell you it is definitely better than them using the floor or furniture and that the smell can be managed if you clean the box frequently  enough..   
My bathroom is upstairs and she doesn't have access to upstairs when I am not home. I'll have a shop around for a 2nd compact litter box/try though.

When she does come upstairs to sleep with me on the bed; I always bring her litter box to the bedroom. And so far no problems upstairs. It's only downstairs.

Does the candles scent not annoy your cats? I tried candles one time and Penny avoided the area.
She just started this behavior out of the blue? Is is something that she does every day now? Does she go outside even a little?

You should call your vet to rule out a few things, urinating outside the litter box can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. Defecating outside the box can be from a parasite, irritable bowl syndrome, Impacted anal sacs, yuck, and other upset stomach conditions.

Since she's doing this while you're at work though, maybe she's feeling lonely/separation anxiety. You could try this product called Feliway I hear it's remarkably effective, I know some people here use it. It comes in a plug in and emits pheromones to calm and soothe your cat.

I leave on a radio for my cat when I have to leave, since yours is deaf that's not helpful, but they sell these dvds of birds and fish you can put on the television to keep them entertained, you could try those too and also I leave an old t-shirt with my scent around for my kitty so he feels safe.

Some cats are also just incredibly particular with their boxes and will not use them if there's anything in them at all. Oh and one more tip, some cats are finicky about their litter and don't like certain kinds, you could try switching brands, scented to unscented, clumping to non-clumping, or using something natural like wood chip litter or litter made out of corn. Maybe that litter is irritating your cat's skin or something? I hope one of these ideas help you.
Hello,

Hmm now that I think about it - it started happening after she got spayed.

Although prior to all of this she sometimes would pee in cardboard boxes once she had gotten comfortable in them. Don't know why! She loves playing with cardboard boxes but it's like she gets so relaxed in them that she forgets to go out to use the toilet? I am not sure if she saw the cat tunnel like a cardboard box. And then because the pee soaked through to the rug she kept returning!

I guess the repeat instances happened because the smell was still there :(...

I cannot think of a reason for her to go behind the sofa or the doormat though. 

She goes outside when I am at home for about an hour maybe 3/4 times a week for the past 4 weeks due to the heatwave in England, UK. Sometimes up to 5 hours if it's the weekend. 

I've been to the vet last week and they said she is OK and no UTI or any other problems. She has monthly worm/flea treatment too.

I keep thinking that she is lonely too and plan to get another kitty when she turns 1 years old & my house mate moves out so would be just me & my partner. I'll have a look at the Feliway though - thank you for the suggestion. 

I try out leaving the TV on for her - although it is one of those big 60" wide screen TVs so I reckon it would bump my electricity bill up! Maybe I'll invest in a smaller TV for her and call it "Penny's TV" - hehe!

I also leave my clothes out for her also so she feels safe :)

Today was a good day though; I came home to find all her business was done in the litterbox; the rug where I cleaned yesterday with another expensive cat pee cleaner (with enzymes) seems to have dried... I am just hoping that she won't use it again any time soon or at all!!! She hasn't been behind the sofa (because I blocked the side entrances) even though she could jump from the top of the sofa. Also the door to the corridor leading to the front door is always closed when I am not home so nothing there. Although she did pee again at the front door last night!! Argh.

Thank you for your suggestions!

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been watching this thread, and now my suggestions. Try adding some Cat Attract to her litter, temporarily putting another box where she pees the most and start scooping twice a day. There was something that set her off in the first place. Are there any other cats around outdoors that she can smell? Has anyone been around your place that she wasn't used to? Was there any kind of storm the day you first noticed the peeing?
Do you know where I might be able to buy "Cat Attract" don't think I have seen it in the shops in the UK. I guess I have to check around online? Do you know a website?

There is one old un-neutered male that is nearly always outside in our neighbours front garden. She has met him and they appear to have a friendly relationship. And there is sometimes a black and white cat (not sure what sex or if neutered)  that sometimes come round the back garden gate - but not our actual garden; so she can smell/see it but cannot touch it.

We often have guests around nearly every weekend; but the same people have been coming since I first got her; so I'm not sure...

No storm; just a normal British gloomy and miserable cold and cloudy day! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might have to get the CatAttract from Amazon UK. I have seen it at Petco, but not at WalMart, which is the only store within 55 miles of me.

OK, now that we have eliminated the obvious triggers, we have to dig deeper. Was there anything unusual within the 2 days before she started peeing on the tunnel? Since she is deaf, finding the trigger is going to be harder. A lot of the triggers are sound related. So we have to deal with sight and smell mostly. Something as innocent as changing your laundry detergent, perfume, bath soap, even your dish soap. For sight, a new article of clothing, different channel or programs on TV.

I think you are getting where I am coming from. I am taking all the clues from observing my cats for the last 20 years or so.

mimi3908

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you have the food next to the litter box?  make sure the food is in a different room, otherwise she might not go to the bathroom where she eats.

You might also need a second vet opinion/checkup, because it might be a sign of urinary problems as some suggest. The fact that she is deaf may contribute to her doing things differently on her bathroom trips. Maybe google taking care of a deaf kitty might be helpful.

Probably more than one litter box is better, preferably in two separate rooms. Make sure you get the large size box.  Your kitty looks gorgeous, it is always great to take care of a handicapped kitty because she will love you even more for taking care of her.  She knows you are her savior given her situation. I hope you resolve your issues and do you best to keep her. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
why would that be an issue?  I hope you are not suggesting she declaw the cat.  Declawing should never be done.
He was asking because declawed cats usually have long-term pain which causes them to avoid harsher litters, like clay. It is an important question in attempting to determine what triggered the behavior of peeing or pooping outside the litter box.

Since this is a strongly anti-declaw site, anyone that mentioned declawing would be given many reasons why it is cruel and should never be done.

Last edited:

mimi3908

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that issue, but he didn't elaborate on that question so I was just hoping he wasn't suggesting declawing as a solution. I understand declawing creates many behavioral issues.

And good to hear that this is a strongly-anti-claw site.

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand that issue, but he didn't elaborate on that question so I was just hoping he wasn't suggesting declawing as a solution. I understand declawing creates many behavioral issues.

And good to hear that this is a strongly-anti-claw site.

I am actually a she :) but catspaw66 is correct that I was asking because it can definitely be a reason why cats avoid the box. In giving an answer to a question like this, it is important info since at least some of the time, when a cat is declawed, that is the entire reason they don't use the box and pain management can then be the solution.  I am against declawing unless it is necessary for the health of the cat, which is extremely rare.

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the candles scent not annoy your cats? I tried candles one time and Penny avoided the area.
No, the scent does not seem to bother them.  They also avoid the candles, but it is because when they were first lit they both got up close to them and realized they were hot, and backed the heck away. It does not impact how they behave in the room or around the box.

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the scent does not seem to bother them.  They also avoid the candles, but it is because when they were first lit they both got up close to them and realized they were hot, and backed the heck away. It does not impact how they behave in the room or around the box.
Ah okay - thank you; I'll give candles another go then. Was your candles very strong scented or mild? And what "flavour"?
You might have to get the CatAttract from Amazon UK. I have seen it at Petco, but not at WalMart, which is the only store within 55 miles of me.

OK, now that we have eliminated the obvious triggers, we have to dig deeper. Was there anything unusual within the 2 days before she started peeing on the tunnel? Since she is deaf, finding the trigger is going to be harder. A lot of the triggers are sound related. So we have to deal with sight and smell mostly. Something as innocent as changing your laundry detergent, perfume, bath soap, even your dish soap. For sight, a new article of clothing, different channel or programs on TV.

I think you are getting where I am coming from. I am taking all the clues from observing my cats for the last 20 years or so.
Hi, 

For some reason I had a eureka moment that maybe because when she did use the litter box she still had some pee on her paws and when she walked around the house and sat on places her pee/poo stuck on to the surfaces and then she did their business in spot because it had her toilet smell. As far as I am aware, isn't litter meant to absorb pee instantaneously? Hmm... maybe it's the litter that is the problem?

I have once or twice caught her with some pee on her back leg! Silly kitty... 

I haven't changed my laundry detergent, perfume, bath soap or my dish soap - I tend to buy stuff in bulk; so things stay the same for a good while. Sometimes I spray Febreze on the sofa but I had been doing so before this problem started. 

Penny watches a variety of different things on TV with me so I am not sure. She usually spends most of her time watching window TV anyway. So not sure if anything outside is stressing her out. 

Oh and I searched Amazon and when I typed in Cat Attract, only a brand of cat litter called Cat Attract (costs £30 - almost 50 US$!) and another herb in a tub called Dr. Elsy's litter additive. Is the Cat Attract stuff similar to catnip? 

Thank you for helping!