Getting Female Kitten Fixed

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting my kitten fixed on Monday, have already booked an appointment with the vet. I talked to the vet about the procedure, asked her what they remove, she said they only remove the ovaries, not the uterus, because it's a smaller procedure. Is this correct? The thing is, I have always heard it's best to remove everything, aka both the uterus and ovaries. Should I listen to the vet, I assume she knows what's best, or should I demand that they remove everything? I could really use some advice.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from what i understand in the US it is common to remove both. They remove the Uterus to prevent any future diseases with the uterus. But its not really been proven that this is really necessary. And is really only suggested, as needed, for older cats that have had a few litters of kittens or been through several heat cycles.

In Europe it is more common to remove the ovaries only, and leave the Uterus, especially in younger healthy cats. The surgery site is smaller, and slightly less risk of complications. And less time under anesthesia.

I think, personally, i would opt for the less invasive procedure as your vet is recomending, unless there is some reason that the Uterus needs removed. Something to talk to your vet about.

Last edited:

shanghaikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two procedures are Ovariohysterectomy and Ovariectomy.
In the US, the spay surgery is called an ovariohysterectomy. This means that the ovaries (ovario-) and the uterus (-hyster-) are removed (-ectomy). The ovariectomy is frequently performed in other countries: the uterus is left in the belly, while only the ovaries are removed. More information is found here:

Two Ways of Spaying a Cat: Ovariohysterectomy vs. Ovariectomy

As mentioned above, I would keep in contact with your vet and find the best option for your pet. Some factors that your vet may be considering are price of the procedure and how invasive it is. With all my kitties they did well and were back to normal after a couple days.The procedure is very common and recovery is fast.

From my understanding, By leaving the uterus, the cat still runs a risk for uterine cancer and pyometra still.

All of my kitties spays removed both. Hope this helps. :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your baby!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would personally ask to remove both because having a uterus still increases risk of infection or uterine cancer, but it’s up to you. I haven’t ever had any issues in puppies or kittens with removing the whole uterus and ovaries. Both procedures will definitely prevent pregnancy!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for both too! Every cat I have ever had has had both removed. I worry about cancer and pyo later in life if the uterus is left behind!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still vote to talk to your vet about this decision, get his or her opinion on the two procedures, and why she recommends one over the other. I have two females, one had only the ovaries removed, the other cat had both the ovaries and uterus removed. If i ever get another cat spayed she will go to my vet that removes only the ovaries.

Removal of both in the US has been standard for many years, but honestly it may be time to change that.. The risks of uterine tumors later in life are very small risks, for cats and dogs.

There are also risks with removing the Uterus, there are going to be some risks which ever way you go, no way around that. But i think there is newer and better information now that leaving the Uterus intact, and preforming the less invasive procedure may be better.

Some vets are now doing a laparoscopic spay, which is even less invasive. I think more of our US vets need trained on the less invasive spay procedures, and access to the newer tools.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly, the uterus shrivels up after the ovaries are removed, and pyo is no longer a concern. I haven't done any deep research on that though. If this is how your vet normally does it, it should be fine. I would have a discussion with the vet about any concerns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of your replies, I feel like I have better information now to make a decision. I will of course talk to the vet about it :)

I still vote to talk to your vet about this decision, get his or her opinion on the two procedures, and why she recommends one over the other. I have two females, one had only the ovaries removed, the other cat had both the ovaries and uterus removed. If i ever get another cat spayed she will go to my vet that removes only the ovaries.

Removal of both in the US has been standard for many years, but honestly it may be time to change that.. The risks of uterine tumors later in life are very small risks, for cats and dogs.

There are also risks with removing the Uterus, there are going to be some risks which ever way you go, no way around that. But i think there is newer and better information now that leaving the Uterus intact, and preforming the less invasive procedure may be better.

Some vets are now doing a laparoscopic spay, which is even less invasive. I think more of our US vets need trained on the less invasive spay procedures, and access to the newer tools.
I'm from Norway (Europe). I talked to the vet and she said she recommends just removing the ovaries. She said they do a laparoscopic spay. It's the less invasive procedure. I don't want my kitten going through more than she has to. She is only 5 months old and weighs slightly more than 2 kg. I'm leaning towards leaving the uterus, I trust my vet. I know there are risks leaving it in, but I think I'm willing to take those risks. I think doing the less invasive procedure is a good idea. Also, after reading about it, it seems like removing the ovaries is slightly preferred over removing both.

Supposedly, the uterus shrivels up after the ovaries are removed, and pyo is no longer a concern. I haven't done any deep research on that though. If this is how your vet normally does it, it should be fine. I would have a discussion with the vet about any concerns.
Yes, that is what I have read too, that it shrivels up. I will talk to my vet about it, but I already asked her last time and she said they recommend just removing the ovaries because it's the less invasive procedure. They do the laparoscopic spay.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of your replies, I feel like I have better information now to make a decision. I will of course talk to the vet about it :)

I'm from Norway (Europe). I talked to the vet and she said she recommends just removing the ovaries. She said they do a laparoscopic spay. It's the less invasive procedure. I don't want my kitten going through more than she has to. She is only 5 months old and weighs slightly more than 2 kg. I'm leaning towards leaving the uterus, I trust my vet. I know there are risks leaving it in, but I think I'm willing to take those risks. I think doing the less invasive procedure is a good idea. Also, after reading about it, it seems like removing the ovaries is slightly preferred over removing both.

Yes, that is what I have read too, that it shrivels up. I will talk to my vet about it, but I already asked her last time and she said they recommend just removing the ovaries because it's the less invasive procedure. They do the laparoscopic spay.
Awesome. I wish more vets and clinics had the ability to do Laparoscopic spays. So much easier on the cats i think. Keep us updated on how it goes with her. and post a photo when you have time :)