Getting Desperate To Get Cat To Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm posting this for you, just in case there's anything in the specific post or in the thread overall that might help--I realize syringe feeding is out, but maybe a mention of holding the food up or I don't know what might click and be something for her...

My Cat Is Dying From Fatty Liver Disease (hepatic Lipidosis) I Need Help Now

Although you've likely tried these already, I noticed in my list of things to try that I posted earlier, I didn't have cheddar or parmeson cheese. Raw egg yolk (egg white must be cooked)?

Reaching "out into left field" to try and find something/anything, what about Kentucky fried chicken?
veggies like green beans or sweet peas?
No-nitrate bacon? (I didn't realize that there actually is such a thing)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're not even getting any sympathy from your family and/or friends. AND, even worse, that Moo still isn't eating anything :frown:. One of my boys (9 years old) just went on a three day "i'm not eating" jag, and of course we went to the Vet. He also needed fluids, got a Vitamin B12 shot, some Cerenia, an appetite stimulant, etc. and when we brought him home there were no changes. And his Vet said his physical exam was perfect, and so were the results of his blood work and urine tests. It's so frightening. But finally (thankfully) this morning my guy was yelling at me for food! He's one who is also very difficult to force feed as this happened once before and we ended up with much more food everywhere else but inside him. He's very strong (as well as strong willed) and just wasn't having any of it, so we figured the stress of trying that almost wasn't worth it. BUT, we've also had a cat with Hepatic Lipidosis, so know the dangers of not eating :sigh:.

I wish I had some more ideas for you, but honestly, I don't know what to tell you. Since she only eats at night, I guess just continue leaving out her food and hope and pray she gets hungry enough that she starts eating again. Of course, I would try leaving out more than one option for her to select from...kind of a kitty buffet. Maybe some wet food and some dry, if it isn't too hot and humid inside where you are.

We'll be sending our famous TCS Vibes that she will start eating! Sometimes it works!!

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to give an update - - - and to say an especially big thanks to valentine319 valentine319 , duckpond duckpond , Furballsmom Furballsmom , KarenKat KarenKat , RufusGizmo RufusGizmo , orange&white orange&white , and mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens . Your input, your advice, your suggestions, and all of you for taking the time to read and respond, to show so much caring, to send all of the good vibes you sent Moo's way, and the kindness and understanding you sent my (and my husband's) way.....it meant the world to all of us (furry and non-furry).

When I asked the question initially, I thought I might get one or two answers (and I figured that, chances are - - since I've been doing the so long, most would be something I'd tried already. Instead, SO many of you wrote very, very kind notes - (argh -just when I thought I was done - - the tears come back again daring!!!!!!!) with some amazing suggestions (I think I can honestly say the "Liver Shake" was something my husband said he won't be upset if he never has to make again!) .

Anyway - - as you can probably tell by now - - Moo didn't make it. But we feel like she died as peacefully as possible - and that for once, we really did it "at the right time," if there is such a thing :( Despite trying anything and everything, the last 6 days she still refused to eat, and was losing weight rapidly. The last night (Thursday) she came to the side of my bed, meowed, and literally raised her paws up as if to say "pick me up" as she'd lost the ability to leap that high. But, despite spending 16 ½ years out of her as a "loner cat" she just didn't want to be alone that night. SO...Thursday night she did sleep with me, and every time I looked over to whisper to her how much we loved her, she'd start in with a wonderful rumbly purr. Even the last 5 minutes she was still fairly alert (after she'd been given the sedative), and would look from one of us to the other, and try to headbutt our hands, as if to say "It'll be ok Dad.......but can I have just one more scratch on the chin?" or "rub my ears just one more time mom." When hubby and I could tell she had only a minute or so, we both dropped our heads and buried them in her fur, snuggling as deeply as we could, so that we could get that list bit of "moo smell) (don't youre thin. And she raised her head one last time, looked at each of us, put her head on her paws, and breathed what I can only say sounded like a sound of peace...a sound of "boy am I loved"....and a sigh that she could finally let go. We couldn't have been sadder.....and I still feel like i have a giant "Moo-sized" hole in my heart.

But again - many thanks to this group - - to this site...and to the caring people on it. Thanks so much for helping us make Moo's last weeks as comfortable as possible because WE were as composed about it as possible. Bless you all.

(I just had to include a few more photos from Moo's "earlier years." One is from when she decided to explore inside the fireplace when she was only a few months old, one was a sleepy very young Moo, and one is Moo shoulder to shoulder with one of our other kitties, Joe, who is one of best buds.
Moo w fireplace soot.jpg
kidden moo alone_smaller.jpg
DSCN3581.JPG

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Moo gave up the fight, but it sounds like it was time. Sixteen is a good long life for a cat. She went out in the most wonderful way possible, secure in your arms and knowing she was well-loved her entire life including through her last peaceful moments.
She'll be waiting for you at the bridge. :grouphug2:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry that it ended this way, but she definitely knew she was loved, and what can be better than that? I"m so glad her passing was peaceful. You will always have a "Moo sized" hole in your heart, but it will fill up with Moo memories (good ones) as time marches on. :hugs:

aziraaziz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in the same place as yours. My Majnun is 7, she's been losing a lot of weight, brought her to three different vets and they said nothing was wrong until I insisted on her bloodwork and turns out she has high white blood cell count and kidney disease. She also refused to eat for a while.

Started her on Renal Royal Canin with Fussie Cat wet food and she's been eating like a champ until her last fluid IV session (200ml) yesterday and she won't eat.

We have Royal Canin Recovery wet food which is a paste like stuff. It's too early now but when Majnun and any of my other babies refuse to eat more than 2 or so days I just scoop some with a finger and smudge it on her mouth/lip area and she would lick it. It's slow and requires a lot of patience but something will get inside the kitty.

An alternative is to ball Royal Canin Delivery half the size of a normal marble, open her mouth up gently and place it on her tongue. Cats would automatically lick it.

Hope this helps.

aziraaziz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Moo didn't make it. I didn't realise this thread has a 2nd page. Still new to this forum with my apologies and condolences. Hugz.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A aziraaziz Please worry - while it's an easy site to work through - it's an easy mistake to make. I could never be angry with some who wa trying to help!

And to all who helped all 3 of us through such a tough time, you're all saints.

Thank you again SO much.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the Site Team, I'm very sorry for your loss. Threads are locked after such a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Moo. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.