Getting cigarette smell out of fur

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to start by saying that no one in this household has never, and never will smoke around our cats.

The problem is that we have an elderly relative that lives with us and isn’t very open to listening to every concern we have, whether about the cats or not. He thankfully has stopped smoking (and only smoked outside anyway, but rolled cigarettes in his room) and has kept this up for the past few months, but our whole house is carpet and he’s not the cleanest of roommates so there are still remnants of tobacco and cigarette smell in his room.

I was cuddling and sniffing my cats earlier today (yknow, as you do) and caught a big whiff of stale cigarette smoke on one of them. The only way they could smell like that is from being in the relatives room. She was actively cleaning herself in the area that smelled too, so I immediately got the brush out and started to brush her, but sadly the smell hasn’t gone.

We've never bathed this particular cat before as she hadn’t needed it and is way more skittish and feisty than the other one when she’s upset. So, unless I absolutely can’t help it, I’m looking for another way to get the smell safely out of her fur and ideally one I can do regularly as I reckon it won’t be the last time she’ll get this smell on her fur. I’m just really worried she’ll eventually get sick from cleaning spots that smell like cigarettes or maybe even has pieces of tobacco in it.

Would getting a warm wet cloth with some dawn dish soap or cat shampoo on it help enough to just spot clean?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Time to google. I would wash with dawn or ask the vet if that doesn't work. You are right,toxic to cats and humans though I think it's mostly worrisome when he is smoking.there are wipes to get at a pet store

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If it were me, I’d use something more mild than Dawn. Dawn is pretty potent stuff! I’d use either a little pet shampoo on a wet cloth or pet wipes, preferably unscented.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time to google. I would wash with dawn or ask the vet if that doesn't work. You are right,toxic to cats and humans though I think it's mostly worrisome when he is smoking.there are wipes to get at a pet store
If it were me, I’d use something more mild than Dawn. Dawn is pretty potent stuff! I’d use either a little pet shampoo on a wet cloth or pet wipes, preferably unscented.
Thank you to both, I only suggested dawn as I know it’s safe to use on pets. We have some kitten shampoo and we do have pet wipes but they’re scented sadly. I’ll try the shampoo route in the meantime and try to look for unscented pet wipes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if I'm here in time, I wouldn't use anything except a cloth dampened with warm water. Are you able to vacuum in his room? Would he allow an air cleaner?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
You should talk to your vet ASAP. The fact that the cats smell like cigarettes means that they are going to suffer the effects. Lung cancer, lymphoma, oral cancer, asthma, the list goes on.

I am not judging in any way. I smoke. I hate that I do. I am embarrassed by it and hardly anyone knows that I do. I am extremely careful. I don't smoke in my house or my car. I don't smoke around other people and I never smoke around animals. I don't leave cigarettes buts around. I have known some people for decades and they don't know I smoke. My cats do not smell like smoke. They are not ever exposed to it. I am careful to change clothes wash hands etc. before ever going near them. It is hard with a relative, especially, but I would not allow my cats free roam of the house, so they cannot be going into the room or interacting with someone that may have not washed their hands and changed their clothes before touching them after smoking.

I hope this helps.

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, if I'm here in time, I wouldn't use anything except a cloth dampened with warm water. Are you able to vacuum in his room? Would he allow an air cleaner?
I’m afraid I already went ahead with the kitten shampoo and warm water, the cat seemed fine with it but she still smells a bit “stale”. As for vacuuming and the air cleaner, I have no idea. He’s the relative of my husband and I don’t want to sully the relationship so anything he needs telling, I have to tell my husband to tell him and I know if I approach him with the idea of vacuuming his room or something like that, he’ll say that the relative likely wont want to bother. But if it becomes a regular thing then I’ll have to try and push for it.
Hi,
You should talk to your vet ASAP. The fact that the cats smell like cigarettes means that they are going to suffer the effects. Lung cancer, lymphoma, oral cancer, asthma, the list goes on.

I am not judging in any way. I smoke. I hate that I do. I am embarrassed by it and hardly anyone knows that I do. I am extremely careful. I don't smoke in my house or my car. I don't smoke around other people and I never smoke around animals. I don't leave cigarettes buts around. I have known some people for decades and they don't know I smoke. My cats do not smell like smoke. They are not ever exposed to it. I am careful to change clothes wash hands etc. before ever going near them. It is hard with a relative, especially, but I would not allow my cats free roam of the house, so they cannot be going into the room or interacting with someone that may have not washed their hands and changed their clothes before touching them after smoking.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for this. Sadly it’s a tricky situation. We’ve been through several conversations with him regarding his cigarettes around the cats and he doesn’t listen, or he does for one time but doesn’t stick to it. He’s very unclean and it’s a strain on our house life in general even outside of cat concerns and my husband has stressed to me that all the years he’s had him in this house, he’s never listened when it comes to cleanliness, so I’m afraid it’s going to be pointless even if we do try.

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I hope this helps.
Being around a smoker for a while is not a call for an immediate vet appointment, in the same way a babysitter smoking around n infant for a short while isn't grounds for an ER visit. If the cats are acting normally aside from smelling, they are most likely fine. I've never heard of spontaneous lung cancer or any other ailment from being around smoke for a while in any species, and have lived with smokers myself with cats which never had these issues after years; let alone months.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The reason for the vet cal is to find out how to get the smelloutof the cats. I never said the cats needed an ER visit. Cats groom themselves constantly. If they smell like smoke, they are ingesting toxic chemicals when they do it.

I am glad your cats don’t have any ill effects from smoke, that you know about. There are many studies available on the effects of second hand smoke in cats.

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, everyone. Over the weekend we ended up having a talk with said relative and his room has been cleaned (sort of) so there shouldn't be anymore remnants of tobacco or cigarette smoke, other than what you can't get rid of on clothing of course.

Also the kitten shampoo and warm water with a cloth method did get the smell out of her fur, I think the reason she still smelled stale is because she was still wet. I do intend to get some odorless wet wipes for cats though whenever I can find some.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, everyone. Over the weekend we ended up having a talk with said relative and his room has been cleaned (sort of) so there shouldn't be anymore remnants of tobacco or cigarette smoke, other than what you can't get rid of on clothing of course.

Also the kitten shampoo and warm water with a cloth method did get the smell out of her fur, I think the reason she still smelled stale is because she was still wet. I do intend to get some odorless wet wipes for cats though whenever I can find some.
While not ordorless, Bert's Bees has some pet wipes that are safe for cats.

In a pinch you can use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo on cats. They used to (or maybe still do) test on animals so it is safe for animals and is gentle. I usually keep a small sample bottle around.

With a lot of push for non tested on animal products for humans, be mindful when washing with human products that for this situation you should use a brand who tests on animals as it's less likely to cause a reaction. (Though you washed them and said kitty is fine 😺, so not likely a concern for you.)

It can be hard managing a relative who is not very clean and must live with you for whatever reason. You may want to consider having someone come by to clean his room regularly. Cigarettes or not, he needs to vacuum and such or can cause health issues for himself and others. I live with roommates once where we just ended up splitting on a cleaner because they were dirty otherwise and it was better than making arguments.