Getting cats who don't like to go to the vet into a carrier

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I took Sylvester to the vet for his Spring "haircut" and checkup and it was a FIASCO trying to get him this time! Last year we had a very easy time of getting him and putting him into the carrier, we open some of the windows in a spare room, he goes to look out, we bring the carrier into the area, I pick him up and put him down into it, close it up and off we go. Well, this time, I brought the carrier upstairs yesterday and put it behind a recliner chair, we were told that this is okay to do, but last night he saw it, didn't freak out but saw it. This morning, he was fine, hanging around me while Deb was in the bathroom, when she came out somehow that little bugger KNEW that we were going to the vet and slinked off! It took us a half hour to get him, he was downstairs behind the sofa, I move the sofa and he runs upstairs, then we go upstairs and he runs back downstairs 200 times until we FINALLY got him cornered in the spare room. I picked him up and hugged him and told him "it's okay, it's okay..." but he was upset but I calmed him down on the way and while we had to wait for them to come out to get him thanks to this plague I opened the carrier and just stroked his neck and he calmed down, but I don't understand how it can go from either so easy peasy getting him to a nightmare! This has to be about the 6th time or so that we have done this, he should be used to it at least a little by now I would think? And he LOVES his haircuts, when he gets home it only takes him a day or so and he thinks he is "all it", so why does he get so nuts to go at times? Maybe we should've made sure that he was in the room first then went downstairs for the carrier but we tried that once too and just that little clink noise that the door made spooked him and he hid, he has ears like radar! So we thought if we would just put the carrier upstairs this time it would be closer but it was a mess, he was walking around and close to me but when we were ready to get the carrier and try to get him somehow he knew it was coming and hid!

This is him and me and Deb when we are trying to get him- :oops: :runaround: :eek3: :help: :please::bliss:

This is him when he is done and back home-:clapcat::jive::woohoo:

This is still me for a few days-:oops: :stars:

Any suggestions for 5 months from now lol?!

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha the emoji story really gives a visual lol!

I have a soft carrier for my girl Echo, I think it's a Sherpa carrier or something like that...has top access and front. My mom got it for me at Petco, and all I can say is DONT buy it there because it was like double the price of what you can buy it online for lol. ANYWAY. I keep it out at all times and my kitty sleeps in it often. I've been doing this since she was little though. But I would say whatever carrier you use, make it a comfy zone and keep it out at all times. Maybe if your cat likes catnip or certain treats, put a few in there every so often.

When I need to get Echo to the vet, I throw some treats in, she goes in and I zip the thing closed. No terror or banshee chasing. I also do this and get her in the carrier for when I'm setting up a scavenger hunt for some treats around the home. So being enclosed in the carrier is not just associated with the horror of visiting the vet. This has made things much easier! Though I will say last time she somehow knew what I was doing and that it wasnt for a scavenger hunt. Still eventually got her in, just took longer and a better bribe (special treat of some kibble from a sample I got at a shop a while back, she normally does not get kibble at all)

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carriers are permanent fixtures/bed options in my apartment. That way I don't have to get them out at vet times and show my hand. Before they know what's happening, they've been scooped up and deposited inside on vet days.

Also, and this is a bit ridiculous, but I'm convinced my Delilah does not like normal carriers. She likes to spread out. She's never been one to find comfort in tight spaces, and she freaks out in normal carriers. So I got this overly-large thing. She loves to sleep in it and on top of it, and she doesn't make as much of a fuss in it as she does in a normal carrier. I can easily set her in through the top opening. She's tried to paw her way out of it but has never been successful in damaging it in 4 years. It's very awkward to carry around, but I can do it, and if it makes her less stressed at the vet it's worth it. I think.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats are the same way and we have not resolved this entirely except that I put the carrier in a bathroom and then pick up the cat, wherever s/he is and bring them inside, shut the door, and insert the cat. However, that is not unlike what you have tried to do. I will say that using a very large carrier is a help and I have used large dog size if necessary because the ease of insertion is so much easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them! I got him back today and he was still a little groggy but we made "friends" again very quickly lol! I told him "you made it harder on yourself and us and it didn't need to be like that" as he knows we always will win, it might take awhile but we always win lol!

At least I have until October until we wrestle again! :jester: :eek2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
somehow that little bugger KNEW that we were going to the vet and slinked off! It took us a half hour to get him, he was downstairs behind the sofa, I move the sofa and he runs upstairs, then we go upstairs and he runs back downstairs 200 times
I read this quote out loud to my husband and we both felt your pain. :sigh: The exact same scenario happened in our house. Cats are so unbelievably smart and don't forget, do they? I've tried all the tricks people have mentioned and just when I think I've found the solution it doesn't work next time. For example, I threw his favorite catnip toy in the carrier and he walked right in. I thought this was the answer, that is until it came to the next time. :frustrated: I have to keep coming up with new ways to get him into the carrier for each vet or groomer visit. One thing I completely agree with other members about is a double door carrier with top opening door.

TCS has an Article on the dreaded carrier: Beware The Dreaded Cat Carrier
Here are a few threads about the subject of getting cats into a carrier that may be helpful for you when you go back in October:
Getting Cat Into Carrier
Getting her in the carrier
Cat hates carrier - nothing has worked

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a carrier that the whole side unlatches and comes down, much less traumatizing. I got it on Amazon. It looks like a triangle. I also set my regular carriers on their bottom so the gate is up, sometimes I have it wedged between chairs. Lowering the cat into it is much easier than trying to force them in headfirst. a really struggling cat can be taken by the loose skin on the back of the neck, supported under and lowered in. I also have one that has a latched gate on top, once again you can lower the cat in. The triangle one is much easier because you just basically set the cat in it and raise the side.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I read this quote out loud to my husband and we both felt your pain. :sigh: The exact same scenario happened in our house. Cats are so unbelievably smart and don't forget, do they? I've tried all the tricks people have mentioned and just when I think I've found the solution it doesn't work next time. For example, I threw his favorite catnip toy in the carrier and he walked right in. I thought this was the answer, that is until it came to the next time. :frustrated: I have to keep coming up with new ways to get him into the carrier for each vet or groomer visit. One thing I completely agree with other members about is a double door carrier with top opening door.

TCS has an Article on the dreaded carrier: Beware The Dreaded Cat Carrier
Here are a few threads about the subject of getting cats into a carrier that may be helpful for you when you go back in October:
Getting Cat Into Carrier
Getting her in the carrier
Cat hates carrier - nothing has worked
Thanks for all this info! Yes, you are correct, just when you think you have found the answer they change the question lol! Last time like I said was so easy, he was in the window looking out, Deb brought the carrier inside the French doors and closed them, I got him and lowered him into it and we were both shocked at what just happened! I also always seem to worry if I lower him "did I injure his tail?", so yesterday I made sure that his tail was okay, I don't know why I worry about that as his feet hit first I'm sure but I do worry about it!

He also has a little "nub" back where his back meets the base of his tail, they discovered it a year ago when they accidentaly nicked it while grooming, we didn't know it was there. Back then I asked "is it cancerous?" and they didn't think so, said they would've had to send it out for biopsy but didn't have it, so yesterday I told them to make sure to check it and they said it is so small they couldn't aspire it with a needle, said the skin was pretty flat and said if it hasn't grown in a year just to watch it and remind them next time, I was a little apprehensive about it but am glad it seems like it is just a nuisance thing!

And I slept downstairs on the big sofa bed last night just to be around and watch him and he slept on the bed to the right of my head the whole night, I was talking to him and would pet him at times and he purred and purred and rolled around and rubbed up against me, he couldn't get close enough to me and that just melted my heart, he feels better with the shorter hair and he knows that I brought him back home, and he's still there now lol! I just adore this little guy and even noticed how different it was without him around just for 7 hours yesterday, and even though we have 8 other cats it felt so different to me. They guess that he is approaching 8 years old, so I hope that he has many more healthy years with me as when he leaves me I will be a wreck I am certain! :rbheart:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They guess that he is approaching 8 years old, so I hope that he has many more healthy years with me as when he leaves me I will be a wreck I am certain! :rbheart:
I hope he celebrates many more birthdays with your wife and you. :crossfingers::crossfingers::heartshape::grouphug: I know that feeling since Carleton is already a senior.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning I took Sylvester to the vet for his Spring "haircut" and checkup and it was a FIASCO trying to get him this time! Last year we had a very easy time of getting him and putting him into the carrier, we open some of the windows in a spare room, he goes to look out, we bring the carrier into the area, I pick him up and put him down into it, close it up and off we go. Well, this time, I brought the carrier upstairs yesterday and put it behind a recliner chair, we were told that this is okay to do, but last night he saw it, didn't freak out but saw it. This morning, he was fine, hanging around me while Deb was in the bathroom, when she came out somehow that little bugger KNEW that we were going to the vet and slinked off! It took us a half hour to get him, he was downstairs behind the sofa, I move the sofa and he runs upstairs, then we go upstairs and he runs back downstairs 200 times until we FINALLY got him cornered in the spare room. I picked him up and hugged him and told him "it's okay, it's okay..." but he was upset but I calmed him down on the way and while we had to wait for them to come out to get him thanks to this plague I opened the carrier and just stroked his neck and he calmed down, but I don't understand how it can go from either so easy peasy getting him to a nightmare! This has to be about the 6th time or so that we have done this, he should be used to it at least a little by now I would think? And he LOVES his haircuts, when he gets home it only takes him a day or so and he thinks he is "all it", so why does he get so nuts to go at times? Maybe we should've made sure that he was in the room first then went downstairs for the carrier but we tried that once too and just that little clink noise that the door made spooked him and he hid, he has ears like radar! So we thought if we would just put the carrier upstairs this time it would be closer but it was a mess, he was walking around and close to me but when we were ready to get the carrier and try to get him somehow he knew it was coming and hid!

This is him and me and Deb when we are trying to get him- :oops: :runaround: :eek3: :help: :please::bliss:

I struggled with getting some of my cats in carriers for years. Amazon has a great soft one that opens from the sides and the top! So much easier! But I had a hard-shell carrier for years that only opened from the side, and I would have to stand the carrier upright, and lower the cat into it from the top lol. Hope this helps! Or if you bring the carrier upstairs, cover it with a large blanket so he cant see it, then when its time, grab him first, then reveal the carrier and plop him in.

nomeowing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear you on the carrier issue. I think they pick up something from us. Some kind of anxiety and they just know something is up. I have to get my calico first and then this one (pictured) runs behind the bed but I can get her. I too leave my carriers out and close to the door in case there is ever an emergency. I usually dust them off a couple of days before a scheduled vet appointment and then put them back where they were. I grab my calico first and she goes in a carrier. My tabby runs behind the bed, then I get her.

It's stressful for them and us. My tabby meows and my calico pants all the way to the vet. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the carrier I use for Krista.
Petsfit Double Sided Expandable Dog & Cat Carrier Bag, Gray, Large - Chewy.com

I used to leave it out for her as a regular part of her environment. I'm not sure why it got packed up. Fortunately, she hasn't needed a vet visit in a long time.

But when she was going to the vet quite often last year, I would make sure it was left out and open all the time. I would put treats inside on the regular so she would come to see it as a place she would find something good inside. When it came time for the vet, if I couldn't just lure her in with treats, I'd zip up the front and drop her in the top with a treat before zipping it up.

I also recommend practicing carrier sessions and mock vet visits. Drop her in, zip her up, lift her up onto a chair next to you. Talk to her and pretend like your driving to the vet. Give her some scritches at the fake red lights. Put her back down, open it up, and put some treats inside after she's left so she'll go back for them. "Not so bad, eh?" You can extend this to real drives around the block and even "no poke" visits to the vet. Tell the vet you want to desensitize your cat and you'd like to bring her down without any poking or prodding.

Krista travels well now and she's smart enough to reserve her ire for procedures rather than people or places. She'll often trill her head off like a content goofball while we're in the waiting room or even the exam room. It's only when the doctor shows up and starts poking and prodding her that she gets riled up now. But when she gets riled up, she really gets worked up. We go to a cat-only office now that doesn't mess around. I drop her off and they sedate her and do their thing. I pick up a slightly angry Krista sometime later that just wants to go home. Her growls subside into trills once we're back in the car and driving away from "that place." She saw too much of the vet last year so I don't blame her.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Some really good advice here, thank you! And I was just out and when I came back in there was a message from the vet, she called to check on how he is doing and how he did with his "handsoming up" lol! I thought that was really caring and thoughtful, just called and told them to tell her that he is doing just fine and that I appreciated the follow up!

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I found that introducing them into the carrier backwards is much easier.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a very large, soft-sided carrier for vet visits. It has a much larger opening and I just put them inside. I don't like soft-sided for travel -I would be too nervous - but for short vet trips, it is fine. Pet Luv is the brand I have. I think it is the "medium" size.

ColinP.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use the "Dump and Zip and Good Kitty" method. Place the carrier upright, with the "side" opening facing your ceiling. Drop cat in "dump" then quickly "Zip." Then say "Good Kitty". The good kitty is the most important step, otherwise, they will never forgive you. Cats are known to hold grudges and will Tweet mean things about you. Social media is Fur-ever. This only works if your cat lets you hold him of course. If he won't let you hold him, then you are staying home.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find the carriers with a top-loader the easiest to use. I have one just like this: Frisco Two Door Top Load Plastic Dog & Cat Kennel, Blue, 24-in - Chewy.com
Its much easier to load her in and out at home and the vet. The vet staff will also probably thank you because they're usually a lot easier than the front doors. There are some theories that say hard carriers make cats feel more secure, but I truly think it depends on the cat.

If I could guarantee Amber wouldn't shred it to pieces (like she does to all soft carriers - and chews her way out of cardboard ones... yeah she hates being confine after 11 years of free-roaming life) and could afford to drop $200 on it, I'd totally get a SleepyPod that converts from a bed to a carrier. I just love the idea of this!

The other problem I had with soft carriers was cleaning them when my cats have inevitably vomited, peed or pooped in the carrier on the way. TMI but it was once really hard cleaning the vomit that leaked out the netting and into the zipper... :barfgreen:

Anyway... I hope you find something that works for you and your cat! There's loads of good advice here :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my I can sympathize. I try to stay as calm and nonchalant as possible but Waffles always knows when I want to get him in the carrier. I have one I leave out all the time. It's only once per year for exam and shots, but I can't fool him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always kept multiple carriers out. My cats use them for everything from play to naps. They retreat to them as safe havens so, when vet time comes, no matter which one is the chosen hiding place, I usually get them. The top or side loading ones age a great option too. Breakfast in bed (carrier) can work. Of course then the breakfast travels too and it can be messy if they don’t finish. Lol Puting a towel around kitty to load tail down into a carrier sitting up on the bottom with door open can help too. Putting a carrier in a small bathroom and then bringing kitty in is another option. The thing is, they learn our tricks. Changing it up to keep kitty guessing each time is another option. Our best solution is to have multiples in all sizes so they put themselves into one when trying to dodge me. Lol Kitties!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I also forgot to mention another VERY important factor to this, since he has to be fasting for 12 hours because he gets lightly sedated for his grooming we have to take ALL the food up from the floor the night before so this is a tip off to him and the other 8 cats that something is in the works! Don't know how I forgot that part, if I could lure him with food it would help very much but I can't!

And if I get him in my arms we can get him into the carrier pretty easily, it is just that somehow he is in tune with the fact that we are trying to get him and he hides. I still can't believe that he was literally right next to me on the sofa bed just minutes prior to me saying to Deb "are you ready?", and when she asked "where did he go?" is when I noticed he had slinked away and I saw him downstairs looking where he should hide, behind the recliner, the entertainment center or the sofa?! Unbelievable how he KNEW!!!!! :clapcat: :lol: