getting cats to use a fountain

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking at cat fountains and my boyfriend, sweetie that he is, bought a really nice stainless steel fountain with BPA-free plastic one for them. He set it up, and they have nothing to do with it! Trevor's never been a big drinker, which is why I make sure he gets canned food every day, but I still worry he doesn't get enough. I don't know Burlington's history on drinking water. I've shown it to both of them, and they have so far just ignored it. They don't even look at it while walking past. Burlington is eating a lot of canned food (three 5.5 oz cans a day, or so), but I still worry that I've not seen him actually drink any water. I really thought the fountain would entice them to drink more. Anyone else have this happen?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try setting it up where you kept their old water bowl, but off and with the old bowl next to it.  Then eventually remove the old water bowl, then try having it on for periods of time before going to full time running.  Transition them into using it basically.  I have heard of some kitties needing to adjust to it.  Mine have been using theirs for at least 6 years now; it was a great purchase!  (We are on our 2nd because DH cracked a pump part taking it apart for cleaning...oops!) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The regular water bowl is nowhere near an electrical outlet (this is a very old farmhouse, so it doesn't have a lot of outlets). But honestly, I have never seen Trevor drink out of that bowl, and it's been there for 5 months. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first bought my fountains, my cats were afraid of them! 
  I did leave a few stationary bowls out for them to drink from while they got used to the sound and presence of the fountains. Even after a week or more, I found that they still didn't like the vibration sound. Different brands/models can be pretty loud, and the more parts there are, the more likely there will be vibration somewhere in the unit. The fountains I have are a pretty simple design and only have two main parts and the motor. In order to absorb the sound and vibration, I put a memory foam bath mat under it. This worked beautifully, and keeps the floor dry from splashes. All three love their fountains now!

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This one is super quiet (it's a Drinkwell Zen) the only sound is the water. Trevor was checking it out this morning but still unsure about it.

amigahal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would be careful of letting your cat drink from a running faucet. My Kiki has a nasty ear infection her Vet thinks came from her doing so. I bought a ceramic fountain, a Pioneer Pet Peaceful Water's Fountain, from Petco (online) and had much the same issues. I followed some of the suggestions here, separated her food from her water, and turned the motor speed on the pump to the lowest setting. Also make sure there is enough water so the pump doesn't cavitate, there will be a lot of air bubbles in the water stream if this is happening. It causes extra noise. Kiki's fountain arrived last Friday, (10/25) and today was the first day I saw her drink from it on her own.

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nobody said anything about the faucet....this is a fountain.

They were drinking out of it, and then the dumb thing quit working. I emailed Petsafe, waiting to hear back from them.

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, (this is gross) I've caught Chowder drinking out of the toilet while it's running and the shower after I get out now.  I think it's time to buy a fountain.

jmeeko10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
about 2 weeks ago I bought water fountain and then bring it to home. I put fountain on the floor in kitchen and I put old bowl beside the fountain to make sure which my cat Meeko wants drink the fountain or old bowl till turned out he drink fountian and love it :) .. but it was so funny to watch Meeko was staring at the bubble water make me laugh lol :D 

I have like same this

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well, (this is gross) I've caught Chowder drinking out of the toilet while it's running and the shower after I get out now.  I think it's time to buy a fountain.
Yeah my boyfriend informed me that he has seen Trevor drink out of the toilet. And the seat is usually up, which means he puts his paws on the rim. Yeahhhh thanks for letting me know right away, you know, since Trevor puts his PAWS ON MY FACE!!!!!!

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which begs the question of why Trevor walking in his litter box doesn't bother me, but him putting his paws on the toilet does....  

jmeeko10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh and I always put toilet seat down so my cat will not use it .. at my mom's yeah her cat was used to drink water in the toilet and my mom not want her cat do it again so she put toilet seat down and use cat's bowl in water :) 

I dont want my cat drink in the toilet eww lol :D

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boyfriend has some toilet seat issues (as in, he won't touch it!) so the seat stays up (because I am an incredibly awesome girlfriend who puts it up instead of demanding he put it down- he better realize how awesome I am!)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Boyfriend has some toilet seat issues (as in, he won't touch it!) so the seat stays up (because I am an incredibly awesome girlfriend who puts it up instead of demanding he put it down- he better realize how awesome I am!)
 The toilet is a major issue for me...............not the seat, but the cover must be down before every flush! If you pee or no# 2 and flush with the cover open you are flushing thousands of bacteria into the air, into your bathroom! Tell your boyfriend to get over it, put the cover down after he uses and before he flushes and wash his hands like most responsible people do, coming from a germaphobe!

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's just not likely to happen. He's got his issues and I took them when I took him.