Getting Cats To Drink More Water

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I place a tiny 2 watt submersible pump in a large glass bowl and my tree cats drink way more water which is critical to their health.
Lay it on its side so it doesn't pump water out in a fountain:(
I do this mainly for my 17 yr old super healthy Tortie. and 13 yr old boycat.
When my first Jaebo (only about 3-4 dollars) pump went out they were using their dirty cat-box feet to move the water like before. Cats don't like stale puddles compared to moving streams in nature.
They all prefer glass over plastic or stainless bowls. Try drinking out of a stainless cup and you will probably taste metal? They do too!
Also I always give Brita filtered water as chlorine causes bladder cancer. Lost my Mom and a beloved first cat to that. Bladder cancer is common in East Bay Area Ca I've found......
I've heard that catnip placed in water increases their drinking but not mine. hmmmmmmm

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like water fountains. I have 4 cats, and they are all different..lol... surprise. one will only drink out of the fountain, one will only drink out of the corelle big bowls i use, and the other two go back and forth. :) i use refrigerator filtered water as well.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently got a cat fountain that is "antimicrobial plastic". I was unsure about it after getting rid of my slimy drinkwell that seemed to get that way after about only 3-5 days and was super hard to clean.

This one is much better though (isYoung brand). I rinse it and refill with filtered water ~weekly and scrub it every other week or so. It has one tube that's a little awkward to wash but otherwise super easy to clean.