Getting cats in carrier

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted two cats from the shelter because owner passed away and since then we can't get them in carrier to go to vet. We tried food and treats. Any other suggestions

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We leave the carrier out for a few days, then pick them up when they are chill as if we were going to cuddle or hold them. Then we stick them in the carrier.

obviously this only works if you are able to pick them up fairly easy. Two people are helpful

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m going to put my carriers in the bathroom and disguise them as hiding places. Then try to trap cats in a towel, hoping they will seek the carrier to hide in. We adopted a stray who was pregnant and now her and kittens need spayed and neutered.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats won't willingly go into a carrier even with bribes. You're going to have to pick them up and put them into the carriers. Carriers with top doors are easiest to get a cat into.

With my cats, I put them both into the bathroom with the door closed. No need to chase them around and stress everyone out. I get the carriers out and set up with the doors open. I carefully enter the bathroom making sure no one is trying to sneak out. I pick up one cat and leave, closing the door behind. Cat goes into carrier and the door securely closed. I go get the other cat and put the cat into the other carrier.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You've gotten some great advice above!

Although this isn't a permanent solution since the cats will need to go to a vet's clinic for bloodwork at some point, or dental work et al, but for just shots and a wellness check could you utilize a housecall vet?

Beware The Dreaded Cat Carrier – TheCatSite Articles

Also there are some videos on youtube ...

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I often feed Belle in her carrier. She’ll go in willingly to eat, but her cat-dar always knows when I’m gonna put her in to go someplace. Most times, it’s just to sit outside and watch the world go by while I get the grill going.

Belle didn’t like going in her carrier to go to the vet’s, but she only made a mild protest.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m going to put my carriers in the bathroom and disguise them as hiding places. Then try to trap cats in a towel, hoping they will seek the carrier to hide in. We adopted a stray who was pregnant and now her and kittens need spayed and neutered.
I do this too, but I leave the towel in the carrier. It's an old raggedy towel used only for the carrier. The cats get their scent on it and it helps with anxiety when I take them to the vet.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With most cats you have to put them into the carrier firmly and unceremoniously. The following is standard procedure where I live.

Most carriers - that I see at any rate - are oblong with a door at one end.
I put the carrier on the floor on the end that is opposite the door - the door then faces upward
I open the door.
I grab the cat from behind just beneath the shoulders and lift it.
The cat then hangs limply with its paws resting on my hands and is not able to do much else.
I lower the cat into the doorway.
The cat may try to resist by using its feet against the side of the door, but this easy to avoid by moving it back or forth.
I lower the cat until it rests on the bottom of the carrier and close the door.

If you cannot make the carrier balance on one end so that the door faces upward, you may need another person to hold it.
Best of luck.

(I struggle to understand LTS3's method. But it's very late - I may ask about that tomorrow.)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Firmly and unceremoniously"--that's the way to do it. I just set the carrier (with the towel inside) on its end, go get the cat holding its back feet in and insert it quickly back end first. Much less trouble than fussing and talking the cat into entering the carrier.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ReallySleepy ReallySleepy just be very sure that you're supporting the cat's body during the entire time you're scruffing it including when you're moving it back and forth in the doorway of the carrier, so that you don't run the risk of nerve damage in the neck/shoulders area due to all its weight hanging from that area.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a walk in closet,keep the carriers in there and another in the bathroom ahead of time. Even if your cat is a kitten, sometimes it helps to have a big carrier so they can't grab the sides

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do this too, but I leave the towel in the carrier. It's an old raggedy towel used only for the carrier. The cats get their scent on it and it helps with anxiety when I take them to the vet.
Thank you for tip! I grabbed 3 old towels and rubbed them with it and put them in the carriers. 2 went right in as they explored. I’ve had them setting out for a week now and only one went in.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats won't willingly go into a carrier even with bribes. You're going to have to pick them up and put them into the carriers. Carriers with top doors are easiest to get a cat into.

With my cats, I put them both into the bathroom with the door closed. No need to chase them around and stress everyone out. I get the carriers out and set up with the doors open. I carefully enter the bathroom making sure no one is trying to sneak out. I pick up one cat and leave, closing the door behind. Cat goes into carrier and the door securely closed. I go get the other cat and put the cat into the other carrier.
This won’t work with the momma cat. She refuses to be picked up. :(

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used an old cardboard beer case for an unruly cat. They have holes so the cat can get some air and the entire top opens up. I used a Bungee cord to keep it closed. Worked pretty well in a pinch!

Is your mama cat still nursing kittens? They're often a handful until the kittens get larger. I think it's the hormones.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really Sleepy, I did that with my first two cats, but then getting them out on the exam table was nearly impossible. So now I swear by cat carriers that also have top doors.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It won't be helpful immediately, but I lure my cat into her carrier once a week with a couple treats in the back of her carrier. I close it once she's fully in with her tail out of the way. Then I pick up the carrier to weigh her, put it back down, and let her out with another treat waiting for her. She used to be very hesitant to go in and would keep a back foot or two outside the carrier. Now she goes in very calmly and without protest. When I had to take her to her dental appointment in January, it was literally just 2 treats and she was inside the carrier. It was too easy!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s what I do (two-person version):
  1. Take carrier out a couple of days before you need it. Leave carrier on floor with door open.
  2. When you’re ready to put kitty in the carrier, approach him/her while speaking soothing, disarming words of love. Make sure s/he isn’t on anything that s/he can put claws into and hold onto like a barnacle. I prefer a tile or wood floor. Have your partner-in-crime (PIC) quietly pick up carrier and approach you from behind so kitty can’t see what said partner has in his/her hand. Make sure PIC doesn’t let the carrier make any “carrier noises.” (Mine rattle if not held perfectly still, and my cats know exactly what that means.) PIC should hold carrier level about waist height with door open.
  3. Swiftly pick up (hopefully) unsuspecting kitty and in one smooth move, turn around and insert said kitty in carrier before s/he has a chance to react, grow additional legs all tipped with razors, and dismember you. You have to do it swiftly in one unbroken move.
  4. Close and latch door, wipe sweat off brow, and hold hands with PIC to steady the shaking.
A bit tongue in cheek, but I really do use this method. If you don’t have a second person, a counter or table will work—anything that puts the carrier on the level and up off of the floor so there’s nothing for kitty to grab onto or push off from. Make sure the edge of the carrier is at the edge of whatever you’ve placed it on. If my husband isn't available, I use the washer or dryer. I lure the selected cat into the room with treats.