Getting Cats Adjusted To Their New Home

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend took two very skittish cats from me when I moved, and it has been weeks, and they are still not adjusted enough. She wants to pet them, and they are continuing to hide. Does anyone have any suggestions? She is singing to them, trying to engage them in play, etc, and nothing seems to be working. They were skittish before but seem even more so now. She bought cat beds that have catnip in them, and I gave her some catnip mice which they loved playing with at my house.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She very well may be trying too hard. Try to pet a skittish scared cat and it simply makes them more fearful. The best thing to do is to ignore them and let them decide when they want to interact. But how were these two when they lived with you and what was their history before that?

DebfromPhilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is a way for the new owner to keep them in a smaller part of the home, until they adjust to the smaller area and feel comfortable there ("safe room" / "base camp"), before giving them the rest of the home, I highly recommend it. Also, blocking areas that they can hide does help from my experience with scared kitties. I recommend reviewing Jackson Galaxy videos on "cat mojo," because this is what these 2 cats are in need of = Mojo. I also agree that at least somewhat ignoring the kitties, but being in the same room, at least some of the time or more, is better than seeming interested in them, from a scared cat's perspective. The kitties are lucky to have her and will eventually come around. New owner may also be stressed out, and the cats may be feeling that from the owner. I recommend that the new owner get on this site and read up on problems others are having with their cats, and it may make her feel better. I know that is exactly how I found this site. It was very comforting to see others were in the exact same situation, and helped me to not try to rush things. Good luck to you and your friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is a way for the new owner to keep them in a smaller part of the home, until they adjust to the smaller area and feel comfortable there ("safe room" / "base camp"), before giving them the rest of the home, I highly recommend it. Also, blocking areas that they can hide does help from my experience with scared kitties. I recommend reviewing Jackson Galaxy videos on "cat mojo," because this is what these 2 cats are in need of = Mojo. I also agree that at least somewhat ignoring the kitties, but being in the same room, at least some of the time or more, is better than seeming interested in them, from a scared cat's perspective. The kitties are lucky to have her and will eventually come around. New owner may also be stressed out, and the cats may be feeling that from the owner. I recommend that the new owner get on this site and read up on problems others are having with their cats, and it may make her feel better. I know that is exactly how I found this site. It was very comforting to see others were in the exact same situation, and helped me to not try to rush things. Good luck to you and your friend.
This is great, and I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!