Getting Another Kitten...

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
So we currently have a cat called Chloe who is a calico and she's a year and 2 months old.
and we are thinking of getting a kitten so she can have a companion.
Chloe is very playful, so I believe a sibling would be nice for her.
I am not sure how old the kitten is because its my sisters friend, and I just got so excited about getting a second cat. But here are my questions :
(sorry if I start to write and make no sense, happens when I have a lot to say and get excited) :D
1. if I have a female cat, would a male or female cat be better for her ?
2. how do I introduce the second cat ?
3. should I get a second cat ?
okay, I don't know what else to ask at this moment but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think Chloe would probably enjoy having a friend. :) She's young enough that she would likely still play with a kitten. (Though if you bring a very small kitten home, playtimes should be supervised just to make sure she doesn't accidentally get too rough.)

Kittens tend to be easier to transition into the household than adults are, because they fall into a hierarchy with the resident pet(s) pretty naturally and are less likely to be seen as territorial competition.

As long as Chloe is spayed, I don't think it matters if you get a male or female. There are different opinions on that, but as long as the animals are altered, based on my experiences I think personality compatibility is more important.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like to have more than 1 cat, i think they do too :) I have 4, two males and two females.

In my opinion females, even spayed females, can be a bit more territorial than neutered males. My girls have more issues if i bring in a strange cat to foster for a few days than my males do. The girls also get irritated if they see outside cats, the boys just act like they want to go play with them. Could just be my guys, i don't know. But i have read online that its often easier to introduce a neutered male cat into a household with an existing female, than another female.

My girls are sweet, sweet little divas :), and they get along well. But i do notice they play together some, but most of the time the one black female plays more with the tuxedo male, and the little white female plays more with the gray male.

IMG_0092.jpg
my little girl, and big boy, they cuddle up like this most mornings and look out the window.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age can definitely make a difference in activity and play. My guys are all in the 3 to 5 year ranges, so close to the same age. and about the same in activity and play time. Size there is quite a difference. the little black cat at 7lbs rules the house...lol she is the undisputed queen of all :)

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree that males are bit more...easy going? As far as the age goes, make sure if you have a say in the matter that the kitten stays with their litter mates and mom for the full 3 months so they learn things like manners. You say it’s your sister’s friend who has the kittens? While I mentioned staying with their mom until 3 months, if it is possible I would also suggest spending time there and working with the kitten. The younger s kitten is when you stay getting them used to things like handling and cat carriers the better. One thing I wish I could go back in time and work with Sadie as a kitten with is having me handle your paws for nail trimming (silly girl hates it). Along the same lines, the more people (and cats, and dogs and and :p) she meets early on, the better.

I hope you find the perfect new fur buddy for Chloe! Please don’t forget us when it comes time for pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you so much for your replys and yes chloe is sprayed. and i think i would prefer a male too but whatever it is i still want to get it, they are cute little babies. and i believe they are over 3 months.
and we trim chloe's nails and clean her years and we don't have a problem with it. she lets us do it and we adopted her when she was almost 10 months.
i am worried how chloe is going to react to the new kitten :(

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you so much for your replys and yes chloe is sprayed. and i think i would prefer a male too but whatever it is i still want to get it, they are cute little babies. and i believe they are over 3 months.
and we trim chloe's nails and clean her years and we don't have a problem with it. she lets us do it and we adopted her when she was almost 10 months.
i am worried how chloe is going to react to the new kitten :(
The good news is that kittens tend to be more adaptable to new things and other cats tend to give kittens a bit more leeway from what I’ve seen. Have you read through the articles here on introductions? Do you have a game plan? If you have any questions I know everyone here loves to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The good news is that kittens tend to be more adaptable to new things and other cats tend to give kittens a bit more leeway from what I’ve seen. Have you read through the articles here on introductions? Do you have a game plan? If you have any questions I know everyone here loves to help!
no i haven't read them yet because i am at work. will definitely read them at home :) i just really hope they are gonna get along.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the introduction articles. and try not to worry, there will be some hisses and figuring out of new roles in the family. I have found that introducing a kitten to a young cat like yours usually goes well, and fairly quick. they want to play :) Try to let them work out their dynamic as much as you can. as long as no hair or blood is flying, no one acts scared and is hiding all the time, afraid to eat or use the litter box you should be fine. They may be big buddies early on, or it may take a bit of time, no way to tell until you introduce them. The first few days or weeks may be a bit hard, but i expect after that everything will be fine :)