Getting angry at my poor kitty

Fuzzbutt1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I have a beautiful longhaired black and white male cat (unsure of the breed) that I've had for nearly a year. His name is Gizmo, and I love him dearly. However, I am reaching out because I am sad and concerned about myself sometimes. Gizmo will be put in the bathroom to sleep and calm down, since if he is out in the house for too long he gets overstimulated and likes to chew on cords! lol
Anyways, usually when I go in there to go to the bathroom everything is fine, but every once in a while Gizmo acts a little ornery. He weaves around my legs and then attacks my feet and won't let go. When he does this, I get very upset and angry.
I'm usually a pretty chill person but every once in a while something inside me just "snaps" almost... I start having urges to do something bad to Gizmo, and it terrifies me. I get very angry and i usually have to remove myself from the room. I would never hurt him, I love him SO SO much, so it confuses me as to why I get so angry sometimes. I do have depression so I'm not sure if that could play a part into it
I'm reaching out because I am scared and I need some advice. I do not want to rehome him. He has a very good home here and everyone in my family loves him dearly. (I am still a teenager)
I love animals so much I am even a vegetarian. So why would i feel so violent and angry over something so small? any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuzzbutt1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also I wanted to add that this only happens when he is in the bathroom with me and it usually only happens in the morning right after waking up or late at night :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mood swings are very common in teenagers, some persist into adulthood. It is related to hormones. Don't think for one minute you are alone in your feelings, I bet there are many, many people who feel the exact same way. There can't be many that can say they have NEVER snapped like that, I love my pwn cats deeply but find myself screaming sometimes when I can't get through to them, especially when my 'bully' pins his brother to the ground and makes him cry, and then I feel instantly contrite and ashamed. I make it up with extra cuddles and treats. Sometimes we can feel it coming and the best thing to do is to remove ourselves or use distraction. You might get a kickeroo on Amazon and use it to throw towards him to distract him from your feet. I have two and always keep one 'steeping' in catnip in a plastic bag to make them enticing. Thank you so much for reaching out, I hope you find a solution in what works for other people. Do you have another bathroom you could use? It sounds like you do this when you are tired, first thing in the morning and late at night, I get grouchy then too. I would try to distract him until you are more awake, like with that toy, or keep some treats close by to keep him busy. You'll learn ways to cope as you get older, especially when you go through loss more and more, and realize life is too short to be angry and then ashamed. I really try and still manage to scare my little ones once in a while, though I find it doesn't take long for them to realize I am sorry. Animals live in the present and are very forgiving.....

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds more like you need to play with him more a bored cat = destructive cat seems like your suppressing his need to play by putting him in the bathroom "to calm down" him chewing the cords just give him somthing better to do like play with him weaving around your legs is him happy to see you and showing love for you attacking your feet is just him wanting to play is all ofcourse he is gonna be wound up when he is being locked down to calm down he isnt getting a chance to let any energy off locked in a bathroom isolated with nobody to play withplaying with him would actually give you a reason to smile with cute ot funny things he might do while playing hard to be deppressed if your smiling right? mt gf suffers from deppression also so your not alone in that i get that its hard and it just happens might help you to get help from a therapist etc. and get medication to help you with it. theres no shame in taking medications to help with deppression my gf has been on meds for years now and just graduated from usc with a doctorate in social work. best of luck to you.

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten needs more play time. He is attacking your feet as this is the only thing that he saw moving in hours and they hunt moving things, it's in their nature, he wants to play, also probably misses you as well. If you have to lock him - can you try other room so it is a bit bigger? And have some toys left for him to play with. Play with him few times a day or at least morning and evening for good half an hour. When they are board they misbehave as they need to have an output to their energy. Get him some toys he can chew on. I have several things for my kitten, all over the floor (little kitten playground), when I'm finish playing with him, sometimes he will just play alone. I have fish smelling with catnip - he will bite that. Cardboard box as well - he likes to chew it. Give him other alternatives, then he might stop going for the cords.