Getting a second kitten?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really want to get Luna, my 10 week old kitten, a playmate. It would give her someone to play with when we are at work and would hopefully teach her that play biting is not good! However, my boyfriend thinks that if we get another one, they will prefer each other's company to ours.

I think that they would still want human interaction and would hopefully tire each other out and then want to come and snuggle with us.

So, what's your experience with having 2 kittens? Are they less bothered about human interaction or not? Would it be a lot more work than just having the one?

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't contribute anything to the two kitten question, as I only have the one, but I just wanted to say that's a cute kitty. She looks a lot like my little guy, Khal Drogo. I didn't envision getting a gray tabby when I was looking for cats, but I've really come to appreciate how beautiful they are. Good luck with your possible second adoption!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) I wasnt planning on getting a grey tabby either. In fact, my boyfriend and I talked about getting a ginger and white male. But we saw her and she stole our hearts. She was just a little bundle of grey fluff when we picked her but her colours have come through properly a lot more :)

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is all good.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with play aggression with my Ragdoll kitten and I didn't have the energy (chronic illness) to engage him as much as he wanted/needed. So…..

At six months I found a 4 month old rescue kitten with a lot of spunk (had to match personalities) and, after following the slow introductory (scent swapping, etc.) period they got along fabulously. This was particularly important because I got him at 9 weeks of age and anytime you get one before it has reached 12 weeks with its mother, it likely hasn't learned its cat manners or boundaries (for instance, play biting hurts - its mom teaches them that!).

So the two kittens taught each other how to behave and the play biting stopped - plus they burned off each other's energy.

Anyway, your question is will they prefer each other's company over yours? Well, I don't know how yours will turn out, but both of mine are insufferable about following me around and begging for attention. As for whether they will snuggle, that's an individual thing, but they will certainly want human interaction - if nothing else, for food, LOL.

Seriously, I have seen no change in the sense of preferring cat company over human company. They are not less bothered about human interaction at all. And I've discovered something, the statement "two cats are easier than one" is very true! 

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't want to get another cat at the moment :( he's said maybe when she's a bit older.

I'm still trying to convince him that it is the best thing for Luna but he's going to take a lot of persuading!

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds fair. But by six months I could not take much more of my guy's play aggression, see what'cha are thinking then. That was when I got him a 4 month old female companion. What a difference. All that play energy taken out on each other leaving the good cuddly stuff for me. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My experience is that 2 is easier than 1.  I didn't get less cuddles or interaction.  You should definitely be in agreement though before you add another member to your family.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does your boyfriend realize that it'll be much easier for the cats to bond while your current one is so young?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that in a month or so's time he will have had enough of her play biting and be willing to get another one. He thinks Luna will grow out of it but I'm not sure. I know we got her too early and she never got to learn how to play from her brothers, but we didn't have much choice. She's only 11 weeks old so hopefully before she's 4 months old we'll have another one :)

He realises it will be easier to introduce a new kitten while she's young, he just doesn't think it's necessary. I'm going to keep trying though cos I know that it is exactly what Luna needs.

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend, but I understand. It took a lot of persuading my mom to allow another kitten in the home, but she realized it was for the best for our oldest cast, as she was starting to get a little listless and sleeping a lot more than usual.

To be honest, I was really worried about bringing a second cat into the home, as my oldest is a bit of a diva. Well... I did name her after a goddess and she certainly acts like she is one, haha! Like you, I was worried if it'd be more work as well as if the cats might not get along, jealousy issues, etc. etc. Surprisingly, having two cats isn't a lot of work, IMO. Sure, you gotta clean the litter box more and maybe by food more often, but that's the only issues I had spending wise. They're really no trouble.

However, their first meeting didn't go over too well, but I think that's partly my fault. It's always suggested to do slow introductions when bring a new cat or kitten into the house, and I DEFINITELY recommend that if your boyfriend ever changes his mind. My oldest hated it at first and didn't get along well with the kitten at first, but now they play together all the time and I think it's actually really helped the oldest because she has a playmate and isn't as bored anymore!

I hope your boyfriend changes his mind -- ;P it really is a lot more fun having two kitties in the house -- twice the entertainment! And, it might seem stressful at first, but take it slow, and don't be afraid to google what to do or ask around on here if you do end up getting a second kitten! Good luck!

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good news is that my boyfriend is quite happy to add another cat to the family. Just not yet. He wants to wait until she's grown up a bit more and a bit less kitten like and then get another kitten. I'm working on persuading him that now is the best time :)

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that in a month or so's time he will have had enough of her play biting and be willing to get another one. He thinks Luna will grow out of it but I'm not sure. I know we got her too early and she never got to learn how to play from her brothers, but we didn't have much choice. She's only 11 weeks old so hopefully before she's 4 months old we'll have another one

He realises it will be easier to introduce a new kitten while she's young, he just doesn't think it's necessary. I'm going to keep trying though cos I know that it is exactly what Luna needs.
It is likely she will grow out of it, in about 9 months or more. So, if you can take it that long, more power to ya! I couldn't. I am assuming that there will be no use of "punishment" in an attempt to "train" the kitten. It won't work and just make it more afraid (wonder what is meant by waiting to see if it will grow out of it entails this).

But good to see that he understands introductions would go easier between two youngsters and it is hilarious when two kittens chase each other in their mock olympic events (which means they aren't taking it out on you!).

Regardless, thank you for giving the little one a home!

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There will definitely be no punishment. Unless redirecting her to play with a toy instead of hands counts as punishment!

I'd love to see her play with another kitten. We have full length mirrors in the spare room and its hilarious when she catches a glimpse of herself in it!

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome news! My boyfriend has said that we can get another kitten! :clap: He's finally had enough of Luna biting his toes and said that another cat might keep her entertained!

She's still young ( just over 13 weeks) so hopefully she will adjust to a new kitten in the house well!

So now the hunt is on! Will be looking at rescue centres as I know they all have a lot of kittens in at the moment!

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome news! My boyfriend has said that we can get another kitten!
He's finally had enough of Luna biting his toes and said that another cat might keep her entertained!

She's still young ( just over 13 weeks) so hopefully she will adjust to a new kitten in the house well!

So now the hunt is on! Will be looking at rescue centres as I know they all have a lot of kittens in at the moment!
Great news! (Only lasted a few weeks, did he? LOL - even I lasted longer, ha.)

I'm not familiar how to introduce kittens so very young, maybe someone else will come along.

All I can say is that within a short period of time after my two started playing, biting me stopped! (More fun to tumble with each other.) Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news! (Only lasted a few weeks, did he? LOL - even I lasted longer, ha.)

I'm not familiar how to introduce kittens so very young, maybe someone else will come along.

All I can say is that within a short period of time after my two started playing, biting me stopped! (More fun to tumble with each other.) Let us know how it goes.
I didn't think it would take too long! Luna's favourite night time activity is playing with his toes. He twitches them while he's falling asleep. And I've bought her toys to keep her entertained during the night but toes are too appealing! It's getting more painful as she's getting bigger. She has actually been a bit better with not biting during play at the moment so I didn't think he was going to cave.

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We finally picked up a new addition to the family yesterday. Little Jessie. Hopefully introductions will go well and they will become friends!