Getting A New Sofa...

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This week, we are getting a new sofa and accent chair (how fancy!).

Does anyone have any tried and true cat scratching deterrents? This sofa will not have a slipcover and we certainly don't want tiny claw marks all over the arms!

Thanks!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie - My cats love to scratch fabric, and hence, replacing sofas has become standard procedure here. I've found that when the old sofa is placed out at the curb for trash pickup, the cats completely lose interest in it. They're never allowed outside, of course, so this might be the reason. Also, they're usually too busy scratching the new sofa to be bothered with anything else.

I wish you the very best of luck with your new scratching posts upholstery.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We keep a scratching post at the corner. There also are scratching posts that are made specifically to go on the couch like this
As to the body of the couch, tiny scratches will happen with play and jumping. Don't encourage play on the couch and that will minimize it. I personally use the couch for play because the cats race up and down it; so don't do that. Keeping throw pillows on the sides and blanket drapped over the top will reduce surface exposed for scratching in a way that look more for human comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll look into the scratching posts for the couch. We have their cat tree next to the sofa. Occasionally, one of them (generally Emerson) will get the zoomies and run over and claw his way up the arm of the sofa, or treat it like his (perfectly functional and within eyesight) scratching post...

We specifically got a cloth composite sofa because of small scratch mark from walking and jumping. Fortunately, our budget didn't have us looking too hard at the nice leather sofas anyway ;)

Have you tried double sided tape? Or cat spray? Strangely, a spray bottle of water doesn't scare them (that's how my mom trained her cat) so that is a no-go.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear you don't spray. Spray bottles are not recommended by TCS 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

I have used the sticky tape on our recliner and it seems to be working. But the scratching there is more of an attention motion than for scratchong. I've been told that once your gets the sticky tape a few times you can remove it because they think it is still is there. But Link is a smart one so I am hesitant to remove it.

Our couch is leather for cleaning and allergy purposes so it hurts a little to see nicks. But after three years of the couch and with three cats who zoom all over it the damage is minimal.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I care more about the cats than the sofa, but I have scratchies all over the place, cardboard, sisal, carpet type, etc., and they seem happy with those. Swanie did try scratching the back of it when he was younger. I would point at him and say NOT A SCRATCHY! and for some reason that seemed to work. :lol:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
See 1CatOverTheLine above .

~ I met someone who bought a beautiful leather loveseat so her cats would not destroy it. The cats love their new loveseat...! ( what's left of it )
They make frosted plastic covers for sofas , armchairs and mattresses . I hear that is the only thing that works .

Good luck ! :hellocomputer:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have leather furniture and my cats have never scratched any of it. Granted, there are light scratches on one arm of the sofa but only because they walk on it sometimes. We have scratchers all over the place. The big cat tree is right next to the sofa, there is another cat tree in the next room and various other ones here and there. Including the ones on the cat trees, we probably have 25 scratchers. Their 2 favorite not-on-a tree scratchers are these:

They really like this one. They like to bat the ball around too. It also works nicely as a chair.

www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Colors-vary/dp/B000IYSAIW/ref=sr_1_15?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1506907425&sr=1-15&keywords=scratching+post

They LOVE this one. It is their favorite scratcher and they also use it as a lounge chair/napping place. 2 enthusiastic paws up on this one!

www.amazon.com/Onlypets-Scratcher-Catnip-Kittens-Scratching/dp/B01H1RHS72/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1506907739&sr=1-2&keywords=scratching+post+onlypets

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cat Site has taught me just how odd my two cats are. Atticus and Thirteen never try to wake me up in the morning and they never scratch anything other than their numerous scratching posts which are distributed all over our house. To be fair, we have a lot of scratching posts, one or two of which even hang on the wall. When I have friends over some of them think that those are "art" and are always freaked when I tell them that they're scratching posts for my two cats. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a big scratching issue with one of my kitties. I purchased claw caps and had the veterinarian technician apply them. (It was cheaper than the veterinarian.) I take my kitty every seven to eight weeks to have them reapplied. I only have the front claws done. It has been a great move for me. Nothing is ever damaged now.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when you sign up to adopt a cat you are signing up for scratching. It's a part of a cat's life. Of course, minimize it the best you can, but I'm not sure I would advocate something like claw caps unless the cat is extremely aggressive to the point that it's a last resort. I feel like putting those things on a cat would make them feel similar to how a human would feel if they had to wear mittens all the time. :ohwell:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found fake suede holds up well to cats. Lots of scratching posts and a cat tree by the sofa usually prevents that problem. My cats have a thing about leather. Salem trashed my arm rest to my old computer chair .... he used to knaw on it so I safety pinned washed cloths over the arm rest so he couldn't get to it. Generally if you think kid proof, chances are it will be cat proof. Though a little kid/toddler will cause way more damage than a cat ever could ;)

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, Emerson and Evie, I forgot to mention that cats who strongly prefer not to wear claw caps can chew them off. My veterinarian routinely has requests to apply them and it, sometimes, ends after the first application because some cats remove them. Mine wasn't one of them. Good luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This week, we are getting a new sofa and accent chair (how fancy!).

Does anyone have any tried and true cat scratching deterrents? This sofa will not have a slipcover and we certainly don't want tiny claw marks all over the arms!

Thanks!
Though I'm not keen on leather for ethical reasons, leather is what I chose for my living room sofa and chairs, and my cats rarely even get up on them. They never claw them. This is because of the texture being smooth and uninviting to them, and because I have many scratching posts and pads and lots of cat furniture throughout the house. When your family includes cats, you have to include them IN the family and that means providing enrichment for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
When I said "tiny scratches," I meant "shredded armrests." As a cat owner, I have to be ok with some claw marks. They are cats; they have claws; ergo, some marks from walking and playing are going to occur. We get that. That's also reason numero uno why we went with a simple sofa that isn't super luxurious or going to show up every tiny mark they make.

We do not deter them from climbing on the furniture, or sleeping with us at night; rather, I was seeing if anyone had some insight as to how to stop them from treating the couch like their scratching posts (of which we have two in the living room), which they really only do after a bout of the zoomies. We include our cats in every appropriate aspect of our lives.

I'm going to try double sided tape and see if that works. Next step will be the claw covers. Thank you all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I said "tiny scratches," I meant "shredded armrests." As a cat owner, I have to be ok with some claw marks. They are cats; they have claws; ergo, some marks from walking and playing are going to occur. We get that. That's also reason numero uno why we went with a simple sofa that isn't super luxurious or going to show up every tiny mark they make.

We do not deter them from climbing on the furniture, or sleeping with us at night; rather, I was seeing if anyone had some insight as to how to stop them from treating the couch like their scratching posts (of which we have two in the living room), which they really only do after a bout of the zoomies. We include our cats in every appropriate aspect of our lives.

I'm going to try double sided tape and see if that works. Next step will be the claw covers. Thank you all.
The most important single thing you can do, according to experts, is to have a lot of scratching-approved surfaces around the house for them. Right next to the sofa is a good place, too. You can watch videos of cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy on YouTube and he may have some that illustrate this. We have scratching posts/pads and/or cat climbing/perching/scratching furniture in almost every room in the house, and the furniture is never bothered.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's best to lower expectations no matter what they will claw once to say it's theirs...
Found with jumping around not intentional sharpening leaping to and fro leaves small damages,
wear and tear.
Cats hate citrus you can try placing sliced lemon pieces into a baggie pin to sofa cushions here and there. Trimming helps. PS/ Look forward to pictures :)

Last edited: