Getting A New Cat: Boy Vs Girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always had female dogs and cats, although I grew up with a male cat who was a hell cat! That experience turned me off male cats, even though I know some very nice ones. My two girls have been very loving and bonded well with us, so all good experiences to report with girls.
Ahaha see that's the thing! We had a boy that was a hell cat (attacked my 4 year old brother by jumping on his back) and we still got boy cats after that! I figured it was a one off lol. I figure when I go to the SPCA i'll sit down with a few and see how they behave, no matter boy or girl

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to go against the grain here to say I think female cats are much more affectionate than male cats. Male cats are good companions, too, so you won't go wrong with either. But my female cats have always been more loving and cuddly than the males.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you need is two boys and two girls to raise your odds, because everyone is individual.
(this is me)
Tommy lets me get my cat love on for a bit (wuffle, knead, smush face, chest pet, wiggle toe beans) and then goes off and does his own thing. He's a very chatty cat and uses his words often.
Stewart is crazy. He was kind of feral when he moved in. When he talks, it's very high pitches and expressive. He has developed manners and is a smart cat. He's now 6 years old and he is in my lap several times a week. You say "stewart..." and he just hides his head beneath his paws. ' I'm not moving, lady, leave me be '
Amalie is a major cuddler. She's bossy about it. She'll follow you around the house and when you stop and notice and say "What?" she yells at you. ' come sit down with me '
Yue (female) and very affectionate, but you have to keep moving your hands. If you stay in one spot too long, you're doing it wrong. Sometimes she doesn't cuddle with me for a few days and I hardly ever see her, but right now, she's snuggling my hip.

I had this one guy Rex, who was very sore from arthritis, and we had lots of long conversations and snuggle fests. He hated other cats.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've owned a few more males than females, but I never chose a cat based on sex. It was always "There's a cat who needs a home. Are you interested?", or I fostered shelter cats and failed at "temporary foster home" and they stayed for life. It never really mattered the coat color or sex when I was ready to open my home to a new kitty.

In my experience, the males have been more laid-back and social and the females have been more timid and shy. Of course, that may have just been luck of the draw with my the cats in my life. Both sexes have been real sweethearts though, and it's fun to have the variety in personalities.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to go against the grain here to say I think female cats are much more affectionate than male cats. Male cats are good companions, too, so you won't go wrong with either. But my female cats have always been more loving and cuddly than the males.
Ahaha see I've had male cats that are super affectionate (view profile pic for example). I guess it all comes to personal experience!

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you need is two boys and two girls to raise your odds, because everyone is individual.
(this is me)
Tommy lets me get my cat love on for a bit (wuffle, knead, smush face, chest pet, wiggle toe beans) and then goes off and does his own thing. He's a very chatty cat and uses his words often.
Stewart is crazy. He was kind of feral when he moved in. When he talks, it's very high pitches and expressive. He has developed manners and is a smart cat. He's now 6 years old and he is in my lap several times a week. You say "stewart..." and he just hides his head beneath his paws. ' I'm not moving, lady, leave me be '
Amalie is a major cuddler. She's bossy about it. She'll follow you around the house and when you stop and notice and say "What?" she yells at you. ' come sit down with me '
Yue (female) and very affectionate, but you have to keep moving your hands. If you stay in one spot too long, you're doing it wrong. Sometimes she doesn't cuddle with me for a few days and I hardly ever see her, but right now, she's snuggling my hip.

I had this one guy Rex, who was very sore from arthritis, and we had lots of long conversations and snuggle fests. He hated other cats.
Ahaha, unfortunately, I'm a college student and start grad school in the fall so I'm currently mooching off of my parents still. When I have my own place someday, I might get 3-4 cats and test your theory ;)

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've owned a few more males than females, but I never chose a cat based on sex. It was always "There's a cat who needs a home. Are you interested?", or I fostered shelter cats and failed at "temporary foster home" and they stayed for life. It never really mattered the coat color or sex when I was ready to open my home to a new kitty.

In my experience, the males have been more laid-back and social and the females have been more timid and shy. Of course, that may have just been luck of the draw with my the cats in my life. Both sexes have been real sweethearts though, and it's fun to have the variety in personalities.
Males being laid back and females being a little shy seems to be the consensous I've heard. I definitely won't let sex be a determinate when I adopt a cat. Like I said, I'll probably sit on the floor with some older kittens and see how they behave and base my determination on that!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahaha, unfortunately, I'm a college student and start grad school in the fall so I'm currently mooching off of my parents still. When I have my own place someday, I might get 3-4 cats and test your theory ;)
:yess:
Tommy is honestly the cat for me. He's unlike any other cat that's bunked with me. You know how you see the cats up for adoption, and they're either sleeping off the under stimulating environment, or they're crying at you, or they reach out out through the bars and grab you? He had his neuter two days before, only made eye contact with me twice "hey. how's it going?", and kept chasing his tail and falling off the shelf in his kitty jail. REPEATEDLY. This was one groovy guy, and it was going to be an interesting ride. He's kept me busy for almost 9 years now.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:yess:
Tommy is honestly the cat for me. He's unlike any other cat that's bunked with me. You know how you see the cats up for adoption, and they're either sleeping off the under stimulating environment, or they're crying at you, or they reach out out through the bars and grab you? He had his neuter two days before, only made eye contact with me twice "hey. how's it going?", and kept chasing his tail and falling off the shelf in his kitty jail. REPEATEDLY. This was one groovy guy, and it was going to be an interesting ride. He's kept me busy for almost 9 years now.
Ahaha yeah I'm hoping to get a bit of an outgoing cat to keep me a little busy and to be a good companion for my older kitty that still has quite a bit of energy. I think I'll take a few out, one at a time and just see how they behave.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with those who have said that it depends on the cat. I have two kittens and they're both ginger boys and are very sociable lap cats, though when we first got them they were the complete opposite! Some cats let their personalities shine once they're no longer at the shelter because they don't like the environment, so that's something to bear in mind too. I have heard before that males can be very friendly but I have had all sorts of mixed experiences with male cats that friends and relatives have had.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with those who have said that it depends on the cat. I have two kittens and they're both ginger boys and are very sociable lap cats, though when we first got them they were the complete opposite! Some cats let their personalities shine once they're no longer at the shelter because they don't like the environment, so that's something to bear in mind too. I have heard before that males can be very friendly but I have had all sorts of mixed experiences with male cats that friends and relatives have had.
I didn't even think of that, I will definitely keep that in mind!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The most painful thing to say to someone (especially someone you don't know) is that their mother is wrong. :insertevillaugh:

Your original question reminded me of one of the vets in the clinic we use. When I brought one of our then three cats for a checkup, a black neutered male, she stated without equivocation that black neutered males are the nicest cats of all. When I brought our other male, (neutered of course, who is the one in my avatar, white with gray tabby) she repeated that black neutered male cats are the nicest, best of all. Then it was our female tiger's turn (spayed, of course) and this doctor repeated her endorsement of "black neutered males."
We lost Monk (white with gray tabby) two and a half months ago. In my experience he was the nicest of this wonderful very nice bunch. You can see them together, below.

And may I add that this particular vet no longer works at our clinic, and I am not unhappy about this.
My sixpence worth: it depends on the individual cat.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The most painful thing to say to someone (especially someone you don't know) is that their mother is wrong. :insertevillaugh:

Your original question reminded me of one of the vets in the clinic we use. When I brought one of our then three cats for a checkup, a black neutered male, she stated without equivocation that black neutered males are the nicest cats of all. When I brought our other male, (neutered of course, who is the one in my avatar, white with gray tabby) she repeated that black neutered male cats are the nicest, best of all. Then it was our female tiger's turn (spayed, of course) and this doctor repeated her endorsement of "black neutered males."
We lost Monk (white with gray tabby) two and a half months ago. In my experience he was the nicest of this wonderful very nice bunch. You can see them together, below.

And may I add that this particular vet no longer works at our clinic, and I am not unhappy about this.
My sixpence worth: it depends on the individual cat.
Ahaha well it seems like my mother was wrong in this sense. I'm very sorry for your loss, I lost my baby (profile pic) a month ago so I totally understand. The picture is adorable! It's always nice when cats get along :)