Getting A New Cat: Boy Vs Girl

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I'm planning on getting a new cat in May. We have always had boy cats because my mom said they have better personalities. I feel like this is just an old wives tale.
What are people's personal experiences? Does this have any merit or am I right in thinking it's just a rumor?

Thanks in advance!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I work at a shelter, so I've had a lot of experience with all kinds of cats. IMO, the individual cat's personality plays a far, far bigger role than its sex, i.e., you can't really say that female cats in general are cuddlier, quieter, or cleaner, or that male cats are more playful or friendlier.

More people want to adopt a female because of the mistaken belief that male cats will spray to mark their territory even after neutering. They don't realize that female cats might do that, too, or that it's not common behavior.

Other people prefer to adopt a male when they're choosing an unneutered kitten because the surgery is less expensive and the recovery time much shorter, but that's a one-time thing.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat, not gender. There are some little quirks that I find males or females do more of (e.g., female cats seem to lick more and bring me toy mice as gifts - probably because they do this for their babies) but there’s no generally better tempered or friendlier gender.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work at a shelter, so I've had a lot of experience with all kinds of cats. IMO, the individual cat's personality plays a far, far bigger role than its sex, i.e., you can't really say that female cats in general are cuddlier, quieter, or cleaner, or that male cats are more playful or friendlier.

More people want to adopt a female because of the mistaken belief that male cats will spray to mark their territory even after neutering. They don't realize that female cats might do that, too, or that it's not common behavior.

Other people prefer to adopt a male when they're choosing an unneutered kitten because the surgery is less expensive and the recovery time much shorter, but that's a one-time thing.
Thanks! That's what I thought too, but my mom has always said "boy cats, girl dogs" and my family has literally never broken that lol. Thanks again for your input! I didn't even think of neutering but price and recovery time aren't a huge deal for me and like you said, it's a one time thing!

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat, not gender. There are some little quirks that I find males or females do more of (e.g., female cats seem to lick more and bring me toy mice as gifts - probably because they do this for their babies) but there’s no generally better tempered or friendlier gender.
That's what I thought! Thanks for clearing up that old wives tale! The toy mouse thing mad me laugh because I have a 12 year old male who LOVES to cry as loud as possible when he finds one :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you plan to adopt a kitten or an adult cat? I see you mentioned a 12 year old cat. Will he be sharing his home with the newbie?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, I would get a cat that's a little bit older, at least 6 months to a year old. That way you would know their personality, since kittens can change. I would go to a shelter and spend time with the cats and see which ones are friendly. In my experience, tuxedo boy cats and orange/white boy cats were the friendliest lap cats. But I did have a friendly female calico/tortie when I was a child.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally prefer males to females. I completely know it could just be the personalities of the specific cats I've gotten. I'd agree with getting an older kitten or even cat so you can get a good feel for their actual personality. Some things are apparent in young kittens but they change some during the teenage phase.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you plan to adopt a kitten or an adult cat? I see you mentioned a 12 year old cat. Will he be sharing his home with the newbie?
I'm hoping to get an older kitten! Like 5 months or more. Yes, he'd be sharing the house with the new cat! He's had a companion before, my baby Captain Jack, who just passed away and so he's seemed lost and clingy (not that i mind) so I'm hoping a new cat will help him have someone to play with again. He's a sweet, old, fat man

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can, I would get a cat that's a little bit older, at least 6 months to a year old. That way you would know their personality, since kittens can change. I would go to a shelter and spend time with the cats and see which ones are friendly. In my experience, tuxedo boy cats and orange/white boy cats were the friendliest lap cats. But I did have a friendly female calico/tortie when I was a child.
Yes, that's exactly what my plan was. We once adopted a kitten when I was young that turned out to be a hell cat. Loved to jump on my brothers back (who was 4 at the time) :) my baby that just passed away was a tuxedo and he was an amazing lap cat. I definitely will spend time at the SPCA to get to know the personalities of the cats.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally prefer males to females. I completely know it could just be the personalities of the specific cats I've gotten. I'd agree with getting an older kitten or even cat so you can get a good feel for their actual personality. Some things are apparent in young kittens but they change some during the teenage phase.
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a 6 month+ kitten but I wouldn't be opposed to a young one since their personalities are more apparent.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have only had male pets all my life - and not by choice. They just adopt me somehow. All males! Always.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had male and female cats, and there are exceptions to all rules. :)

but i have found female cats to be a bit more reserved, they may be cuddly and sweet, but they some how seem to be a bit reserved. But they are as sweet as can be.

Male cats seem to be a bit more laid back, big ole goofs :) a spayed male is often the most easy going thing ever...lol

I cannot say i prefer one over the other, but i do think there is a bit of difference. i like two boys together as they are often larger than the females, and like to wrestle hard. I think i have the best of both worlds, two little diva girls, and two big ole easy going boys... lol i would trade any of them for anything.

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always had male and female cats, and there are exceptions to all rules. :)

but i have found female cats to be a bit more reserved, they may be cuddly and sweet, but they some how seem to be a bit reserved. But they are as sweet as can be.

Male cats seem to be a bit more laid back, big ole goofs :) a spayed male is often the most easy going thing ever...lol

I cannot say i prefer one over the other, but i do think there is a bit of difference. i like two boys together as they are often larger than the females, and like to wrestle hard. I think i have the best of both worlds, two little diva girls, and two big ole easy going boys... lol i would trade any of them for anything.
Ahaha cute! Thanks for your input!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always had female dogs and cats, although I grew up with a male cat who was a hell cat! That experience turned me off male cats, even though I know some very nice ones. My two girls have been very loving and bonded well with us, so all good experiences to report with girls.