Getting A Male Fixed

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat i currently own is injured right now can barely walk around iv been feeding another male for a year now hes gotten alot sweeter iv let him come i and out for the last 6 months but he will attack my boy randomly at times and it really makes me angry because my boy is very accepting lets him eat out of his food bowl use his litter box ect he doesnt like to fight at all he is fixed as well well just now i let him come inside cause he was crying at my door

he walks up to my boy rubs against him like hes playing nice then turns a circle comes back and jumps on him attacking him full force for no reason my boy was sitting down doing nothing no aggression what so ever i got very angry opened the door and yelled at him he ran out and 10 seconds later hes crying to come back inside

im wondering if i get him fixed if this would stop this issue because if i do and it doesnt i just wasted money he wont live longer than 6 months outside due to dogs ect but its not my problem if hes gonna be a jerk and try to harm my boy my boy comes first before any other animal as far as im concerned what do you think?

hes very hyper active and is very sweet at times then completely will change jump on my cat who actually does his best to avoid him when he is inside and he will just walk over to him to try to dominate him and it makes my blood boil i wana help him out possibly have him as a full time inside cat if he acts right

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for caring about this cat. Getting him neutered should lessen his territorial behavior, and definitely stop the strong smelling urine.

Once he's neutered, you could then proceed to do a re-introduction with your cat, and hopefully they will become friends or at least be able to live peacefully in the same home.

Here's some TCS articles with more information:

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, getting him neutered would help tremendously.Unneutered males want to dominate all the time, but in my experience they usually leave the neutered boys alone. Are you sure he is attacking and not playing? Fur can fly and a lot of noise can happen because obviously your boy doesn't want to. But is there any blood, does your boy try to avoid him and hides when he sees him? If not then it is aggressive playing and not real fighting. Your boy would hide, believe me if he was truly being hurt. I know, I still don't like to see it, so a sharp NO and removing the attacker to another room works. It eventually gets to just a NO working. Neutering would definitely reduce his aggression, and remember it takes 6 weeks afterwards for the hormones to leave the body. Bless you for being concerned enough for this boy.
Why are there dogs running loose on YOUR property hurting/killing cats? That is not legal in most places. Call the nearest sheriff/police/animal shelter and lodge a complaint. If they get enough they might do something.I was told I could shoot any coming on my place, which I cannot do, but if one killed one of my cats, he wouldn't get away with it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, getting him neutered would help tremendously.Unneutered males want to dominate all the time, but in my experience they usually leave the neutered boys alone. Are you sure he is attacking and not playing? Fur can fly and a lot of noise can happen because obviously your boy doesn't want to. But is there any blood, does your boy try to avoid him and hides when he sees him? If not then it is aggressive playing and not real fighting. Your boy would hide, believe me if he was truly being hurt. I know, I still don't like to see it, so a sharp NO and removing the attacker to another room works. It eventually gets to just a NO working. Neutering would definitely reduce his aggression, and remember it takes 6 weeks afterwards for the hormones to leave the body. Bless you for being concerned enough for this boy.
Why are there dogs running loose on YOUR property hurting/killing cats? That is not legal in most places. Call the nearest sheriff/police/animal shelter and lodge a complaint. If they get enough they might do something.I was told I could shoot any coming on my place, which I cannot do, but if one killed one of my cats, he wouldn't get away with it!

trust me he isnt playing when he jumps on him locking up and making loud noises i love when cats play wrestle but no he was legit attacking him its so strange sometimes hes cool with him walks up rubs on him he actually did it 5 seconds before he attacked him then turned around stared him down then jumped

yes my boy tries to avoid him inside he will go into my room or goes onto otherside of house just to give him space but right now hes hurt and cant move as well it made me so angry that he attacked my boy while he is injured i really wish my boy had a good friendto play with he lost his brother year n a half ago when i had to move he tied to be friendly with the cat but he is to mean if i spent the money to get him fixed and he still acts this way im gonna abandon him cause my boy comes first and his safety is above everything else

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah don't abandon cats. That's cruelty. Try to find him another home or something. Don't be one of those jerks that dump animals.

Having him neutered ought to help. Young toms can be randomly aggressive due to hormones. It may take a couple months for his hormone levels to drop all the way, but it should definitely help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Matt.

Yes, of course. Getting him neutered will calm him down a lot. Older male cats often have the sweetest personalities once they've been fixed. It will take a little time for his hormones to settle down, so you'll need to keep your cat separate from the other cat for at least a month after neutering.

Is this the same cat that was attacked by dogs recently? Were you able to get him to take the antibiotics? How is he doing now?

You're keeping your cat inside now, right? To be honest even if he were very good friends with this cat I'd avoid letting them play together this soon after having surgery. It's going to take him a bit of time to recover.

I think that if you get the other cat fixed and then carefully reintroduce them, as rubysmama rubysmama suggested, he could be a good friend for your cat in the future.

Keep us posted. :wave3:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please find him another home with no other cats. Why would you abandon him knowing that he would die? There's always another option. Get him neutered, evaluate his behavior afterwards, and then make a decision.

Also, if your cat is injured that badly, he needs to be kept away from all other cats until he is healthy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO be aware that, although neutering may well take care of the problem, it will not be immediate. It will take six weeks or so of slowing diminishing aggression before the testosterone is gone, so be careful during that time.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m a bit confused reading this thread. At first reading your thread I thought you are talking about a stray cat that you were feeding outside and were now letting into your house from time to time? Then reading replies I’m wondering if we’re talking about a cat you have already adopted?

Either way, I would look for a no kill shelter or a rescue that you could take him to if things don’t work out. The last thing you want is have guilt about the cat not making it on the streets creep up on from time to time.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
people dont care for cats in the country they only like dogs i was at a restaurant outside waiting and a baby kitten walks up to everyone meowing it was attacked by an animal his paw was hanging on his rm by a thread and ribs were exposed and everyone was looking at it like it was a diseased rat i was asking people does anyone know a vet? and nobody would even answer me

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m a bit confused reading this thread. At first reading your thread I thought you are talking about a stray cat that you were feeding outside and were now letting into your house from time to time? Then reading replies I’m wondering if we’re talking about a cat you have already adopted?

Either way, I would look for a no kill shelter or a rescue that you could take him to if things don’t work out. The last thing you want is have guilt about the cat not making it on the streets creep up on from time to time.
i moved into my house a year ago and i started throwing food out for the cats id see around my house eventually he gained my trust and would let me pet him and id let him come inside but he is to mean to my cat who i own so i dont let him come inside anymore

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please find him another home with no other cats. Why would you abandon him knowing that he would die? There's always another option. Get him neutered, evaluate his behavior afterwards, and then make a decision.

Also, if your cat is injured that badly, he needs to be kept away from all other cats until he is healthy.

tbh my area seems to be getting worse everyday i see him i see a new cut on him or mark from a fight but i cant keep him inside cause of him attacking my boy if only hed be sweeter he could live inside all the time apparently it can take weeks before he changes after being fixed and in that time he could be hurt badly not sure what to do ill always feed him i wont completely abandon him even though he hurt my cat i still will feed him but i cant let him inside to harm my cat any further

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well that makes sense! I would do the same! Have you thought about trying to contact a TN R group in your area? I honestly don’t know a lot about them, but I do know they will neuter strays, which is good not only for the stray themselves but also the rest of the community.

Still would also see if you can’t find a no kill shelter or rescue that would take him in if possible

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that makes sense! I would do the same! Have you thought about trying to contact a TN R group in your area? I honestly don’t know a lot about them, but I do know they will neuter strays, which is good not only for the stray themselves but also the rest of the community.

Still would also see if you can’t find a no kill shelter or rescue that would take him in if possible

unfortunately mississippi is garbage for things like this there isnt even an animal control for 40 miles into the city if i can get him fixed for under 50 i will but right now my boys surgery set me back a bit

its a weird situation i like the cat hes very sweet to me even though he was feral and afraid of humans after 5 months of feeding him daily he gained my trust and is very sweet iv never seen a cat who likes to hug people he likes to hug your neck or arm and sleep holding you lol

but him attacking him i cant allow him to come inside and at night time he cries to come inside to get away from animals and stuff but i cant really do anything for him if i bring him inside my cat can be all the way on the other side of the house sleeping and he will run all the way to him to start a fight

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
unfortunately mississippi is garbage for things like this there isnt even an animal control for 40 miles into the city if i can get him fixed for under 50 i will but right now my boys surgery set me back a bit

its a weird situation i like the cat hes very sweet to me even though he was feral and afraid of humans after 5 months of feeding him daily he gained my trust and is very sweet iv never seen a cat who likes to hug people he likes to hug your neck or arm and sleep holding you lol

but him attacking him i cant allow him to come inside and at night time he cries to come inside to get away from animals and stuff but i cant really do anything for him if i bring him inside my cat can be all the way on the other side of the house sleeping and he will run all the way to him to start a fight
I understand that, your cat has to come before a stray, as wonderful as that stray may be. Any chance you have a friend or family member who would be open to a cat in their lives?

In the mean time if you are worried about him you might want to look into building a outdoor shelter for the little guy. I read a article on it awhile back and if I remember right you can build one without spending a ton of money but I would look into before starting and make sure. Of course if you have a garage you could also start leaving it open a bit and cat proofing it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
people dont care for cats in the country they only like dogs i was at a restaurant outside waiting and a baby kitten walks up to everyone meowing it was attacked by an animal his paw was hanging on his rm by a thread and ribs were exposed and everyone was looking at it like it was a diseased rat i was asking people does anyone know a vet? and nobody would even answer me
Very ignorant, soulless, heartless wastes of space. They will face the Justice they cannot run from in due time. *PRAYERS* for that innocent kitten!
As for sources of knowledge nationwide, please visit alleycat.org which is the national database for cats -- Alley Cat Allies. They have a lot of information on the site and also links to people in almost all states and globally who may be able to help.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are somehow able to find a TNR group you could ask them if they could neuter and place him in a colony with a caretaker. That way he could still live outside and be cared for without being attacked by animals.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i heard theres some place here that comes by once a month and they take a few dogs and cats to fix and only charge like 40 dollars im gonna look into it everything here you have to go in person the businesses arnt listed online sadly t even get a hair cut i had to drive around to find a place lol