Getting A Kitten For An Adult 8 Year Old Cat

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question for any of you who have adopted a kitten as a companion for an older cat. My kitty Charlie is 8-9 years old but acts like he’s 2. He’s very playful and loved to cuddle and groom his brother who passed several months ago. I was hoping to get a companion for him when I was ready. He is a real cats cat, he loves them and his sister who is 6 and is not at all interested.

That said, I thought getting a kitten would be less stressful and Charlie might take a “motherly” role as the kitten grew up. I had read that fully grown adult cats can be more intimidating. But then again, I’ve been reading that it is not a good idea to bring a kitten in to a home with an older cat. That the older cat will never befriend the kitten due to its first few months negative experience with the kitten. I never thought of it that way.

Have any of you folks had any experience with this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add, the kitten I would be getting is a Scottish Fold, they are known to be adaptable and easy going with other pets and people. Which is why I chose that breed.

LolaKitty02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, dealing with this right now! I recently adopted a kitten and introduced her through a long introduction phase to my 8 year old cat. The kitten (now 5.5 months) and my older cat seem to be getting along well enough. My older cat has always been more playful than lazy so I think it's been a good match for him.

That being said, we are in the 3 month mark at this point and they still aren't completely in love with one another - the kitten has a lot of energy and my cat vocalizes that much to her when she's being too much for him. I think they are still working out the hierarchy but I catch him grooming her and seeking her out to play.

I think it's all about how much time you also have to play with the kitten every day and tire her out a bit to give the older cat a fighting chance against the kitten crazies. I believe it's totally possible. Plus, my older cat has no problem teaching my kitten manners and she's a quick learner.

All that being said still, every cat is different, but I think with a good intro and keeping the negative experiences to a minimum it all works out.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adopted a 9 week old to keep my 16yo company. The kitten wanted to be friends but the older cat hissed and lashed out at the kitten. That passed after a few weeks and at about the six week mark they became great friends. The kitten learned to tone down her playing when around the oldie. I think it is important to spend time with them individually as well as together.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
While it's probably a bad idea to get another cat for a resident cat picking out a cat with the right temperament for you and your lifestyle and your other cat can be a wonderful experience.
Slow introductions are always best and there is a ton, tons of excellent advice on this site of different methods that have worked for others in many settings. As many adult cats need homes it's a simple fact that many cats will accept a kitten much quicker than an older cat into their home. you should look for a kitten or cat that has been raised in a similar setting such as indoors only or indoor outdoor depending on where you live and your personal beliefs.
We need to not humanize how an older cat will disciple the kitten. The older cat is teaching your kitten cat manners unless of course it's vicious attacks. I raised two kits in my home and brought in a 4 month old. My older resident cat has a definite buddy in our Toad.
All interactions were carefully supervised the first few months. Remember that as cute as the kitten may be the main focus in your home should be the older cat and his position in HIS home. Quite honestly I'd advise two kittens so they will mostly annoy each other. If your older cat joins in and makes friends it's even better. Make sure to respect the older cats rights and confine the kits when you see signs of stress.
The more perches I added at points of interest in our home such as windows the less squabbling I had.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Toad the 4 month old kitten you broght in? How old was the older resident cat?

2 kittens are not an option for me. I have 2 cats already. One doesn't care for other companions and one desperately wants companionship (Charlie). He follows her around during the day and she just isn't interested. He misses his brother who has passed.

I would prefer to save an older cat, but thought a kitten would be easier for Charlie and his sister to accept. I understand your sentiment but my number one priority, is Charlie.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Is Toad the 4 month old kitten you broght in? How old was the older resident cat?

2 kittens are not an option for me. I have 2 cats already. One doesn't care for other companions and one desperately wants companionship (Charlie). He follows her around during the day and she just isn't interested. He misses his brother who has passed.

I would prefer to save an older cat, but thought a kitten would be easier for Charlie and his sister to accept. I understand your sentiment but my number one priority, is Charlie.
If a specific breed isn't a requirement a rescue may be able to help make a good match. Like I said the site is full of excellent advice from lots of people and someone will sort of match your situation and be able to help you.
Frog and Toad were raised in our home from 24 hours old. Mercy came from a shelter at 4 months.
Quite honestly I don't think BabyMook our older female cat would EVER accept another adult cat into the house. The other three would probably think the more the merrier. If you have a difficult territorial cat a kitten is usually accepted quicker and easier because it's not likely to really challenge the older cats status.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that info and that is exactly what I was thinking in terms of a kitten not being a challenge in the cat hierarchy.

I have been visiting many local rescues but have not been able to get much in terms of help matching my situation. I was told that 2 kittens would be better than one but I just don't want 4 cats. My main priority is finding a friend for Charlie. Lulu will like no one I bring into the house, no one. Charlie is a cat that needs other cats and Lulu is not willing to be that cat unfortunately.

That's why I started looking into buying a kitten from a breeder, a breed that I know to have a very good and non-aggressive temperament. But when I read that article saying the older cat will never accept the kitten, even after it grows out of kittenhood, it worried me.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It has always been easier for me to bring a kitten into the home, with older cats. And the shelters will soon be full of kittens! I have also found male kittens are easier, don't know why, but neutered males seem to be more easy going, especially as they get older. My adult females are little divas :)

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that info and that is exactly what I was thinking in terms of a kitten not being a challenge in the cat hierarchy.

I have been visiting many local rescues but have not been able to get much in terms of help matching my situation. I was told that 2 kittens would be better than one but I just don't want 4 cats. My main priority is finding a friend for Charlie. Lulu will like no one I bring into the house, no one. Charlie is a cat that needs other cats and Lulu is not willing to be that cat unfortunately.

That's why I started looking into buying a kitten from a breeder, a breed that I know to have a very good and non-aggressive temperament. But when I read that article saying the older cat will never accept the kitten, even after it grows out of kittenhood, it worried me.
While cats can be quite difficult and sometimes screaming Diva's there are thousands of members just on this site that have successfully integrated even former feral cats into their homes. There are many books and youtubes available on the natural behaviors of cats to help us understand their emotional and physical needs and use them to successfully introduce new feline members into a home. A good breeder should have excellent input to help guide you to success because they really care about the life they choose to create.
If one thing doesn't seem to be working don't be afraid to change course and look for other options. And just be mentally prepared for a few rough days or even weeks getting your new household settled.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has always been easier for me to bring a kitten into the home, with older cats. And the shelters will soon be full of kittens! I have also found male kittens are easier, don't know why, but neutered males seem to be more easy going, especially as they get older. My adult females are little divas :)
Girl, I am with you on that! I am only looking at getting a neutered male.

I do have some concern as my Charlie used to hump his brother who was 4 years old when he passed. His brother was too lazy to care most of the time but would occasionally chase him off. I assumed it was Charlie's attempt to challenge the hierarchy since his brother although younger, was there before him and kind of the king of the house.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I do have some concern as my Charlie used to hump his brother who was 4 years old when he passed. His brother was too lazy to care most of the time but would occasionally chase him off. I assumed it was Charlie's attempt to challenge the hierarchy since his brother although younger, was there before him and kind of the king of the house.
For the record all my cats are female, and divas and still get along.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While cats can be quite difficult and sometimes screaming Diva's there are thousands of members just on this site that have successfully integrated even former feral cats into their homes. There are many books and youtubes available on the natural behaviors of cats to help us understand their emotional and physical needs and use them to successfully introduce new feline members into a home. A good breeder should have excellent input to help guide you to success because they really care about the life they choose to create.
If one thing doesn't seem to be working don't be afraid to change course and look for other options. And just be mentally prepared for a few rough days or even weeks getting your new household settled.
That's great advice thank you. I agree, this breeder would actually deliver the kitten to my house from Michigan to Massachusetts because she wants to see where I live. She's also giving me first pick since she knows my situation is very specific looking for a match for Charlie.

I've introduced a kitten to another older kitten and then I've introduced a 5 year old cat to 2 existing cats so I know the challenges. But the age difference here is my biggest concern. Would a 4 month old kitten and a 8/9 year old cat ever become best friends. I don't know.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with duckpond duckpond . A male kitten seems to adjust better than females. I have 2 females and 1 male. I had the females first, accept each other but thats about it whilst they both love the male. He is the youngest. If Charlie is playful then he should get on with a kitten and if the kitten gets too playful Charlie will soon put him in his place. It would be a good idea to get a kitten from a multi kitten litter as they will be used to company. Good luck in your choice and let us know how you get on.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

charlie has been neutered? If so hopefully he has outgrown that. As long as the kitten isn't to young he would most likely let Charlie know to STOP, i would think.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

He was showing his upper hand. yes the hierarchy. It probably wont come to this if you introduce a kitten. I don't think it matters whether male or female. I have met both sexes that are bratty. It will take some time..of course it's hard to pick out a kitten and see it's personality after only an hour of interacting with it...sometimes we just have to take a running leap off the dock and just jump in feet first.

LolaKitty02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, my male cat was a kitten he was a pill and very rambunctious, while my little female kitten has been the total opposite. Literally the most loving, cuddly kitten I've ever owned. I tend to think it depends on the cat and how they've been socialized from very early on, but that's just my experience.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with duckpond duckpond . A male kitten seems to adjust better than females. I have 2 females and 1 male. I had the females first, accept each other but thats about it whilst they both love the male. He is the youngest. If Charlie is playful then he should get on with a kitten and if the kitten gets too playful Charlie will soon put him in his place. It would be a good idea to get a kitten from a multi kitten litter as they will be used to company. Good luck in your choice and let us know how you get on.
Spot on. I let my older cat set the limits even though it was somewhat painful to watch a few times. Despite my fear no one every had a scratch on them.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes Charlie was neutered many years ago, I don't think the humping was sexual. It seemed more that he was trying to challenge the hierarchy. His brother really didn't care much, he was a chill (lazy) big kitty and would only sometimes chase Charlie off.

I was thinking that a kitten would be good in terms of not being as challenging to Charlie as a full grown adult male.

V verna davies love that pic!! Nothing better than cats sleeping in harmony.

He was showing his upper hand. yes the hierarchy. It probably wont come to this if you introduce a kitten. I don't think it matters whether male or female. I have met both sexes that are bratty. It will take some time..of course it's hard to pick out a kitten and see it's personality after only an hour of interacting with it...sometimes we just have to take a running leap off the dock and just jump in feet first.
That is some great advice.. I really will need to take a running leap of faith at some point. Otherwise, Charlie will live the rest of his life with no really buddy other than me. And I work 12 hours a day 4 days a week so I'm not always there.