getting a cat to stop...

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok...this may be a silly question but here goes!

Im wondering if anyone has any tips on this problem im having..well...more my partner is having which makes it my problem because I have to hear it. Haha.

SO...my 3 yo boy Jinx scratches at a particular shut door EVERY NIGHT and most of the night. This room is full of my partners Hopping mice (Australian native mice). Like...dur...we have cats and mice..haha. Jinx wants to eat them! We cant leave the door open because the boy wont make propper enclosures.
so all night I hear Jinx being screamed at which means I get no sleep.

Is this a no win? Lol..I feel very silly even asking but everyone on this site has been very helpful. :)

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have birds in a closed off room, so Mo used to be desperate to get in here, and Kismet would scratch at the door to try and be with me (my office is with the birds). When all the animals are caged, I have let them in with supervision just to satiate their curiosity but as soon as they show interest in the birds, like by reacting to the noise or motion, I hiss at them, scoop them up, and toss them out of the room.

If your partner doesn't think this will be conducive and Jinx genuinely is still desperate to get in all the time, what about putting double sided tape on the bottom/sides of the door so wherever Jinx tends to scratch, he encounters the sticky tape? Other texture-based things could be foil or sand paper, or those carpet runners with the pointy sides up and against the door.

Something like a Sssscat Cat in front of the door that humans can step over, but Jinx will get sprayed (by air) with whenever he tries to approach?  I know at least one other member here has also used a Scat Mat, but that one can be a bit more controversial because it delivers a small shock. The person I saw (whose thread I can't locate right now) who recommended it tried touching the mat themselves and said it's jarring, but isn't painful or strong. These are more for keeping cats away than it is to deter scratching.

In terms of comparing the latter two options, some users on another website discussed it here: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/scat-mat-or-sssscat-spray/#axzz357yHDYMp

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahh..double sided tapes a great idea..thanks! Dont know how i feel about the zappy thing..i have 1 dumb kit that might not learn and always has wet little feet (long story) so i wouldnt want to fry her. Maybe ill go grab some tape today and try that! Ill let you know how I go! The 4 cats have supervised time in there too as its my partners office so they sit with him.