Getting a cat to learn his name

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have an outdoor feral cat that I bring inside to our flat several times a day. I open the backdoor of the basement to the tenement block I live in, usually calling his name and clicking my tongue. He usually appears straight away (or is there already!). I have been doing this for about six months (he is about a year old)

I am not sure if he is actually responding to his name or just the noise of the backdoor opening and me appearing.

Any suggestions on getting a cat to 'learn' his name? Any way of checking whether he's learned his name?

Thanks as always

James

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general with cats and names, the difficulty is that, especially if you have dont live alone, the cat's name is probably used in a lot of situations where you don't actualy want the cat to come to you, to give it attention or food. By contrast, your clicking noise is probaby used more specifically, ONLY when you want to give the cat attention. Since I have a family that uses our cats names in misc. conversation, I find that only some cats seem to learn their name, and I get a better response by clicking, patting the couch next to me, shaking the treat bag, or things like that.

Your situation may be a little different, in that you have more cues (name, opening the door, clicking) and your wondering if the cat has learned all the cues, or just one. I guess it depends on how long the cat is inside. If the cat is inside long enough to get bored of you, wander off and do its own thing for a bit, you can certainly test if it will come to you when you call its name. If you also need the clicking noise, then obviously the cat's name doesn't mean anything much to it yet.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never had cats that seemed to know their names, although studies say cats often do know their names, but don't respond.

I suppose one of the important things is to offer only positive results when the name is used, and to religiously use the cat's name when calling for him or her--no nicknames. That's my problem. I use so many nicknames with my cats that they probably don't recognize their correct names (with the possible exception of my youngest, who might think her name is "Meanie").

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you - that's certainly food for thought