Getting a Cat Flap - UK Owner

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice about getting a cat flap for my girls please.

My girls love to go outside, and are currently restricted to when I'm there to let them in or out. I only let them out when I'm there, and I don't think it's enough time outside for them, as I can see how much happier and calmer they are when they get to spend some time outside.

Anyway.

Cat Flaps are a minefield!!

I've figured out we want 4 way locking. (Stay in, stay out, locked, not locked.)

I want to keep out intruders, so it needs to be a magnet, or something on the collar, or one that works off their microchips.

But, Molly is prone to loosing her collar, and I've heard the microchip ones don't work?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really reconsider giving them unrestricted access to the outdoors. Outdoor cats live a fraction of the time indoor cats. You can cat proof your fence or get an outdoor enclosure which are great options. I would not leave them unsupervised in case a predator comes.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you have not described the area where you live, the present arrangement will have to do until they invent the perfect cat flap for you. My cats have the freedom of the outdoors without supervision, but they have a big yard to do their exploring and do not bother to go beyond the property (except for my Ni, who likes to nap on my neighbor's roof with the neighbor's cat).  Intruders (other kitties) rarely step in their territory. 

Last edited: